Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Today he would have been 37. I've just seen it in Maemo.org first page by coincidence.

Rest in peace.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
I'm very sad to hear this about ICUK (only knew him as that), I've also just stumbled on it while looking through the new posts section as i'm back with the buy of an N9 (last week).
36... Ouch... That's my age, that was just way to early for his family to say farewell. Sad. Just really sad.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Your never forgotten Gary i just wish you was around to sort the mess on here now, you died giving your all for this community and we sadly miss you !!! when times are not so good with things on here i always think of you and how nothing would have stopped you from coding as you did.

I'm so surprised to see this thread pop up, I have also been thinking of Gary today. Actually, I had just finished watching some of his youtube videos, clicked back on maemo.org, and your post came up abill_uk.

What made me think of him today was at lunch time I was looking over the coding competition donations, and I remembered back to the very first competition. Gary was the first guy to pledge a donation, actually before we were even collecting donations. He was a generous soul, with boundless enthusiasm and very very talented.

This will be the first coding competition after Gary passed on. On the bus home from work today I had thought about donating a 'lcuk award' to the competition on behalf of his memory but he seemed quite a humble guy, Im not sure if it would fit right. In the end I've decided to match his original donation on behalf of his memory.

Whether his spirit is at the Nokia research centre or flying around the universe, I hope he can feel how appreciated we were of him and that he is still very much a part of our community.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
I'm so surprised to see this thread pop up, I have also been thinking of Gary today. Actually, I had just finished watching some of his youtube videos, clicked back on maemo.org, and your post came up abill_uk.

What made me think of him today was at lunch time I was looking over the coding competition donations, and I remembered back to the very first competition. Gary was the first guy to pledge a donation, actually before we were even collecting donations. He was a generous soul, with boundless enthusiasm and very very talented.

This will be the first coding competition after Gary passed on. On the bus home from work today I had thought about donating a 'lcuk award' to the competition on behalf of his memory but he seemed quite a humble guy, Im not sure if it would fit right. In the end I've decided to match his original donation on behalf of his memory.

Whether his spirit is at the Nokia research centre or flying around the universe, I hope he can feel how appreciated we were of him and that he is still very much a part of our community.
Why not ! he was an absolute idol of an example of a member and coder i just do not know of anyone anywhere that had his enthusiasm and without contempt in any way.

An award to be named after him should this community survive long enough would be the nicest and most decent thing in the memory of a community member who was flawless in his attitude and the perfect example of community member so yes on the anniversary of his passing every year i feel would be something for his memory.

I will once again repeat Kojackers words Gary you are never forgotten and will always be part of this community.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
@timoph and I were just talking about Gary when I was at his house in Tampere last week. He was one of the last people to see Gary alive. He seemed so happy during that visit... I can't imagine what changed.

Anyway, miss you, lcuk.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
How about an award to the most popularly appreciated developer based on popular vote of all members of this site who choose to vote, with candidates chosen by the council, and members of the council ineligible to be nominated?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
I think it's an absolutly great idea with a Gary Birkett award in his memory.

The council woulden't have to count themself out as the rules could be staged defferently so the community nominates and votes and the council only takes care of the practical stuff.

Abill very well put, that's exactly how I remember him without knowing him personally.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Birmingham - UK
Gary. Still missing you my friend. x.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MeeGoExperts For This Useful Post:
Glad people have not forgotten this painful anniversary.

Tags
gary birkett, memoriam, respect