Active Topics

Notices

It's not as exciting as the annual release of beaujolais nouveau, but a new version of the Grandcentral Dialer is now available!

This release has many of the interface changes that were requested. It also adds history of recently dialled numbers (actually, it maintains a history of all numbers that were dialled, but shows the most recent 10). This version also attempts to do some error checking--detecting whether the wget command itself succeeded, and whether Grandcentral attempted to dial the supplied number.

You can download the package from the Maemo Garage site for Grandcentral Dialer.

I'd appreciate feedback on any critical bugs before I release the package via the maemo-extras repository in a few days.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to z2n For This Useful Post:
It looks great, thanks! I gave it a try, called my mobile and left voicemail..... everything seemed to work perfect.

Originally Posted by z2n View Post
It also adds history of recently dialled numbers (actually, it maintains a history of all numbers that were dialled, but shows the most recent 10).
Now that we have call history...
the <CLEAR> button is best used to clear the history. Actually it's a MUST HAVE feature -- preferably on a per-call basis.

The <BACK> button can be used to clear the current number.

Keep up the great work. This update is a great improvement.

Originally Posted by dkwatts View Post
Now that we have call history...
I'm sure it was just an oversight, but you really did mean to start your reply with some kind of "thank you", right?
the <CLEAR> button is best used to clear the history. Actually it's a MUST HAVE feature -- preferably on a per-call basis.

The <BACK> button can be used to clear the current number.
I feel that the <CLEAR> button is "best used" for exactly what it does now.

The package is open-source, and an easy-to-edit python script. If you are of the opinion that something is a "must-have", then make the change. Personally, I don't want to clear numbers from the history list (and that's actually more difficult than it seems). The history list is stored in a file: /home/user/.gcdialerhist, which lists the number called and a timestamp. "Clearing" a number would mean re-writing that file, rather than just appending each successively called number.

One alternative that just came to mind would be to enable a new button that only appears after a successful call. That button would allow the user to append the current number to the history list. Frankly, I really don't like that as much as the current model, but I'd consider it.

As far as the <BACK> button, that's a "backspace" key. Without that, pressing the wrong key at the end of entering a 10 digit phone number would require starting over....

Feel free to play with the GUI (built with glade-3) and the python script. If you really want the ability to remove numbers from the history list, I'd suggest dedicating another button (or a menu item) to that function. I'd be happy to accept code submissions with any modifications.

Of course, you can always edit (or remove) the history file itself.

Keep up the great work. This update is a great improvement.
You're welcome.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Long Island NY
When I use the updated app I get a busy signal most of the time even though the phone dialed is right next to me and can be dialed from cell.

honestly right now app that was previously working is not.

cleared cookies and I get dialing attempt unsucessful

Last edited by bg4; 2008-06-17 at 14:25.

Originally Posted by bg4 View Post
When I use the updated app I get a busy signal most of the time even though the phone dialed is right next to me and can be dialed from cell.
If you're getting a busy signal, that means that the Grandcentral Dialer is working...it accepted a number, used the wget command to connect to www.grandcentral.com, and attempted to make grandcentral.com place the call. Beyond that, the dialer program has no control.

Please check the history file (/home/user/.gcdialerhist) to make sure that the number is correct.

Originally Posted by bg4 View Post
honestly right now app that was previously working is not.

cleared cookies and I get dialing attempt unsucessful
If you've cleared the cookies, then the Grandcentral Dialer application will no longer be able to login to grandcentral.com in order to place a call. The good news is that you've successfully tested part of the error checking that's now part of Grandcentral Dialer.

In order to make it work for you again, you must have the appropriate cookie. From the web browser on your tablet, go to http://www.grandcentral.com/mobile/messages and login.

Thanks for this new release, works fine for me

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
works great, thx for taking time and making efforts for doing this.

just a req. if you think its appropriate and quick.

sometime when I dial I get busy tone, keep trying and couldn't find out. then I close dialer, browser and Internet call application. then launch the browser, launch the internet call and then launch the dialer and it worked.

so I was wondering that if dialer can't find cookie just show some kind of status somehwere on the interface says that cookie missing.

Something to let the user know that the current cookie is not good and he need to re-launch his browser.

thanks once again.

In response to ShyBoy:

Or a way to get the cookie, aka login to Grandcentral From within the app.

Thanks a lot.
It works perfectly well on my 770.