Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
My OVI maps gets the "spins" whenever you stop. What's up with that? You should be able to pin it one way or the other. If you are jsut sitting still, sometimes it just spins to some "seemingly" arbitrary position?

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
After spending hundreds of millions on nav technologies Nokia still hasn't figured this whole map thingy out.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
This is because the device has no compass. You need to be moving for it to get a sense of where you are facing.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
My OVI maps gets the "spins" whenever you stop. What's up with that? You should be able to pin it one way or the other. If you are jsut sitting still, sometimes it just spins to some "seemingly" arbitrary position?
It's because someone who's working on Ovi Maps didn't realize that you just lock the orientation when you stop moving. -_-

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
It's because someone who's working on Ovi Maps didn't realize that you just lock the orientation when you stop moving. -_-
Makes you appreciate the amount of work that went into Maemo Mapper and wonder why Nokia developers didn't at least refer to it when reinventing their interface.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-01-16 at 00:59. Reason: I'm dumb

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
I've used native Google Maps on many smartphones without built-in compass and seem to be far more intelligent. Even with one or two steps it seems to know the direction you're walking and never goes spinning.

Another thing is the search function. Why does it look around the world 4000 miles away if it doesn't locate your POI!! e.g. searching for Costco in the UK brings up addresses in the US. I'll just get on a plane…

I'm fairly happy with the update. At least OVI maps is now functional. They really should give us voice turn by turn navigation free for being N900B(eta testers) and to compete with Google before it's too late.

Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
After spending hundreds of millions on nav technologies Nokia still hasn't figured this whole map thingy out.
How is this user still posting if he's banned??

Last edited by CrashandDie; 2010-01-25 at 05:50. Reason: Insult

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
The other deal wold be to pin the map. I can do that in my car. I can make the map always N up. Or facing forward up. The update does make it a "little" more functional. I was playing around with Google maps, Meap, and a few others, and none of them spin. You can't tell me that nobody a Nokia doesn't know this is going on. That's what's amazing, they've let this go on for how long now?? Then they update the SW and don't fix this "GLARING" goof up?

Wowwwww....
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 275 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Blackhawk Island
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
The other deal wold be to pin the map. I can do that in my car. I can make the map always N up.
Is there no north up mode in Ovi Maps or has someone managed to prevent the map from spinning?
I love my N900 but the Maps application drives me crazy. Maybe OVI means crap in Finnish?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spag For This Useful Post: