Notices

Just wondering if anyone has tried using nsiProcess? aplay is able to handle the files as they are, correctly identifying them as PCM wav files. I have successfully managed to use it to launch leafpad on the device, albeit with an annonying "are you sure" message. I have tried it with aplay but as yet haven't got the arguements passing correctly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Hi Android_808,

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
Had nothing but grief with web server trying to test out different settings to load extension-less files. I've even been having issues with
Sorry to hear about the grief. From what I understand you could have needed a little webserver that would spit out the suffix-less wave files with a wav header:
http://jhb.pastebin.com/byetV6zX

It serves all the directories from the directory where you start it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Cordoba,Argentina
Thanks for you reply, Blaizzen, offline navigation works certainly, but not so offline search. Is that a feature we do expect to have avaiable on the future or it is locked away for the hackers and coders currently modding the app?

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to esiravegna For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jhb View Post
Hi Android_808,

Sorry to hear about the grief. From what I understand you could have needed a little webserver that would spit out the suffix-less wave files with a wav header:
http://jhb.pastebin.com/byetV6zX

It serves all the directories from the directory where you start it.
My aim at the moment is to see how much is possible without using any external scripts or applications. Don't want to have to run another script before opening maps. Thats the other reason why I ditched Apache. Closest I've had so far was under Ubuntu 10.10 loading a plugin for wav playback but not actually doing anything. Then again it didn't seem to do much in the way of playing .wav using the unmodified script

I then tried incorporating soundmanager2 but that was a non starter. Even after setting the folder as a trusted location within flash's global settings, it wouldn't load. Kept saying it was "localwithnetworking" instead of "localtrusted"

Next on the list was using nsiProcess. This, baring the annoying security warning, started off quite promising. First I got it loading leafpad with no arguements. Then tried VLC on Ubuntu but it keeps adding /home/username to the path.

I'm beginning to think now that I'm gonna have to abandon the idea of now running another application if I want to use the voice files unmodified. Had only ever done a few basic bits in javascript before looking at this and now I'm thinking more along the lines of python like every one else.

N900 has aplay included, which as I've stated will play the voice files unmodified. We have the start of a working config.xml in javascript. In javascript, it would only have to trasmit the file names to be played but would not necessaryily aid in translations, unless another settings menu was added to Ovi Maps itself to choose the voice language. Alternatively, what if the parser were ported to python. I understand it would require the majority of Maneuvers member data to be transmitted, either as is or using the index for each, similar to the original eSpeak version we had. A small application could be written to download voices and store settings for what language to use and whether to add TTS for street names.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Android_808; 2011-01-16 at 22:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
how do i navigate to usr/share directory?

The Following User Says Thank You to RobertHall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by RobertHall View Post
how do i navigate to usr/share directory?
In X Terminal
cd /usr/share

There is also Filebox, if you prefer Graphical User Interface.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
OT/
You really like the "thanks" button huh?.
Yes, I like to click "Thanks!" for every post that can help anybody in any way. It's rare when I read a post and don't thank it.

Your post made me laugh, for instance. It's more than enough justification to thank it.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2011-01-17 at 01:52.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
In X Terminal
cd /usr/share

There is also Filebox, if you prefer Graphical User Interface.
OT/
You really like the "thanks" button huh?.

The Following User Says Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 398 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ USA
Has anyone tried to click on the call number within Poi menu info?, i tried but it wouldn't do anything and just closed the menu. Is this a bug or just me and my phone.

I would guess its unimplemented.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
I then tried incorporating soundmanager2 but that was a non starter. Even after setting the folder as a trusted location within flash's global settings, it wouldn't load. Kept saying it was "localwithnetworking" instead of "localtrusted"

What do you guys think?
Give the first soundmanager version a go: http://www.schillmania.com/projects/soundmanager/ It seems to have less features hence less issues and I seem to remember trying it and it worked ok

I might have a little play with flash myself and see what happens.

If all else fails, I don't mind having a python server running in the background for voice navigation, especially since we don't need to run it if we don't want sound, hence a potential for battery saving.

Edit: Flash isn't able to play wav files without external help, so the flash option is out http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPla...dia/Sound.html

Last edited by Blaizzen; 2011-01-17 at 11:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post: