Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
What do you get when you run the following as root?

Code:
ifconfig bnep0 up
ifconfig bnep0

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
error: no such device

Originally Posted by JadeH View Post
error: no such device
then...how about:

Code:
lsmod | grep bnep

I got it working! I had to reinstall something related to libicd, but now I see bnep0, thanks for your help

The Following User Says Thank You to JadeH For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JadeH View Post
I got it working! I had to reinstall something related to libicd, but now I see bnep0, thanks for your help
Thanks for your feedback too! I'll take note on that.

Thanks for this thread. I already had Bluetooth DUN on my laptop, but also just configured Bluetooth PAN just to understand it better. The script and worked like a charm except I just went ahead and used manual IP configuration on my laptop (including setting up Google's DNS rather than changing resolv settings on the n900).

Now that I'm all up and running with PAN tethering on my laptop, I thought I'd give it a go on my shiny new WiFi XOOM. I've gotten to the point where I can tell the XOOM to tether to the n900. However, I can't get any routing working (not even pings). The XOOM keeps reporting no IPv4 values (0.0.0.0), and I haven't figured out how to manually set the values without rooting it. Anyone have any thoughts about how I can do that on an unrooted WiFi ZOOM?

Note: Not being able to tether the XOOM to the n900 will likely result in a returned XOOM, so I'd rather not root it. Also, WiFi tethering is out since the n900 currently only support ad-hoc mode and Android will only connect to WiFi networks in infrastructure mode.

Originally Posted by jschan View Post
Thanks for this thread. I already had Bluetooth DUN on my laptop, but also just configured Bluetooth PAN just to understand it better. The script and worked like a charm except I just went ahead and used manual IP configuration on my laptop (including setting up Google's DNS rather than changing resolv settings on the n900).

Now that I'm all up and running with PAN tethering on my laptop, I thought I'd give it a go on my shiny new WiFi XOOM. I've gotten to the point where I can tell the XOOM to tether to the n900. However, I can't get any routing working (not even pings). The XOOM keeps reporting no IPv4 values (0.0.0.0), and I haven't figured out how to manually set the values without rooting it. Anyone have any thoughts about how I can do that on an unrooted WiFi ZOOM?

Note: Not being able to tether the XOOM to the n900 will likely result in a returned XOOM, so I'd rather not root it. Also, WiFi tethering is out since the n900 currently only support ad-hoc mode and Android will only connect to WiFi networks in infrastructure mode.
I don't have XOOM but from what you described it is probably a DNS problem.

Have you try pinging a pingable external IP address like 67.195.160.76?

Last edited by 9000; 2011-03-31 at 11:45.

Thanks for the response, 9k.

I'm not sure it's a DNS problem as I can't ping the n900 by ip address from the XOOM. It looks like the N900 gets setup with both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address on the bnep0 interface, but the XOOM only ever gets an IPv6 address.

I'm not currently setup with IPv6 via gprs and don't know enough about the subject yet to know what my options are at this point to get everything talking. Spending my time just reading up at the moment while hoping someone can help direct me down the right path. There's a long thread about IPv6 and some links to bluetooth pan tethering on IPv6 that I'm hoping leads to an epiphany for me.

Originally Posted by jschan View Post
Thanks for the response, 9k.

I'm not sure it's a DNS problem as I can't ping the n900 by ip address from the XOOM. It looks like the N900 gets setup with both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address on the bnep0 interface, but the XOOM only ever gets an IPv6 address.

I'm not currently setup with IPv6 via gprs and don't know enough about the subject yet to know what my options are at this point to get everything talking. Spending my time just reading up at the moment while hoping someone can help direct me down the right path. There's a long thread about IPv6 and some links to bluetooth pan tethering on IPv6 that I'm hoping leads to an epiphany for me.
You cannot ping N900 by its IP address as it does not respond to icmp request by default. You'd have to change its behavior by setting the flag:

Code:
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all
Besides the IP address assignment, I'm not sure if N900's PAN supports IPv6. However, if you'd like to have the iptables accept ipv6 payload, you might have to specify it:

Code:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o gprs0 -p ipv6 -j MASQUERADE
or it might _not_ need a specific flag for ipv6 routing, anyway, please test and feedback. Thank you! ^^

I changed the ping setting, but I'm getting a new "network is unreachable" error now. It looks like the XOOM is neither getting an IPv4 nor an IPv6 address now, but even after reverting the recent changes, it doesn't seem to be helping. :S

Tags
bluetooth-pan, tethering