Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Chen said that he is not responsible for what is being commented here except from his own messages after there was some speculation in the last pages about what HtheB knew, which is not quite the same as saying that this topic is only speculation. The official channel is not on TMO, of course, but there is still valuable and verified information here since we have the project leader monitoring and participating.
Yes. Got the impression somehow that htheb was involved somehow in the mess. He said the device was ready after all

Project leader == chen right

It’s good yes.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Yes. Got the impression somehow that htheb was involved somehow in the mess. He said the device was ready after all
It's all speculations

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
It's all speculations
Yeah! Never trust people on the interwebs. There might not even be a device.

Until there is actually is

But then...

There must be parts available, money to build it and so forth or it be like jolla tablet scam. But let’s hope not. On the good side. So far customers money is not in the game so chen can go forward or cancel the project if he likes I guess.

When you have the device in your hand it’s a done deal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
New writeup on xda-developers.com

x

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xman View Post
New writeup on xda-developers.com

x
isn't that an old one? witten before CES? Ok. Seems to be an updated version.

so it might run LineageOS or might not. we will see

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
isn't that an old one? witten before CES? Ok. Seems to be an updated version.

so it might run LineageOS or might not. we will see
You posted first!, I was reading and about to post it. we are In Q1 2019 Let's wait and see what happen first: this or Librem5

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Recently heard, again, about this device, Fx phone... Name is not that eye-catching, but fairly recognisable.

Renderings look impressive:
https://www.xda-developers.com/liver...rd-smartphone/

Given how neat angled slider mechanism sounds to be... I would like for Fx phone to be able to dual-boot Maemo Leste and Nemo Mobile, if possible. No Android - I should try to make do with Apkenv if needed.

How is this device going to be made so quickly? Is it based on an existing keyboard-less multi-boot-friendly phone? Which one? Because, if PCB has to be designed from scratch, and certified, then it will take years, or decades, for Fx to exit prototype stage.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Recently heard, again, about this device, Fx phone... Name is not that eye-catching, but fairly recognisable.

Renderings look impressive:
https://www.xda-developers.com/liver...rd-smartphone/

Given how neat angled slider mechanism sounds to be... I would like for Fx phone to be able to dual-boot Maemo Leste and Nemo Mobile, if possible. No Android - I should try to make do with Apkenv if needed.

How is this device going to be made so quickly? Is it based on an existing keyboard-less multi-boot-friendly phone? Which one? Because, if PCB has to be designed from scratch, and certified, then it will take years, or decades, for Fx to exit prototype stage.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...
If you have followed the newsletters, it was stated that they hired ex Nokia designers who previously worked on the E7, N97 and the N950.
So they know what they are designing.
This device has indeed been in development for over a year now. Just because some things are arising, doesn't mean that they just started the development.

Btw, good to see you again Wikiwide!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
[disclaimer: I have been away from TMO for over half a year and just learned about ReadyFx]

There won’t be any weird backdoor apps and the majority of apps will come direct from Google.
Nonsense. You're contradicting yourselves. If you include Google Play Services, then you have just included weird backdoor apps. I don't want to have that thing on my phone.

I do understand that the average Joe wants the GMS and it's a valid commercial choice to include them by default.

I really think that Fairphone really got that thing right. By default Fairphone ships with a GMS-enabled version of Android, but there's also an official free-software ROM to flash.
Alternatively, you could just provide an extra flashable zip to flash on top of the free-software ROM to <s>up</s>downgrade it to the GMS-enabled version, the way LineageOS does it.

Maybe ReadyFx could also go that way?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
[disclaimer: I have been away from TMO for over half a year and just learned about ReadyFx]

Nonsense. You're contradicting yourselves. If you include Google Play Services, then you have just included weird backdoor apps. I don't want to have that thing on my phone.

I do understand that the average Joe wants the GMS and it's a valid commercial choice to include them by default.

I really think that Fairphone really got that thing right. By default Fairphone ships with a GMS-enabled version of Android, but there's also an official free-software ROM to flash.
Alternatively, you could just provide an extra flashable zip to flash on top of the free-software ROM to <s>up</s>downgrade it to the GMS-enabled version, the way LineageOS does it.

Maybe ReadyFx could also go that way?
I think it's important for Readyfx to create a phone that will appeal to the majority and focus on niche markets later. Most users will use Android, along with the host of Google Apps. That will be probably 90%+ of the users. Lineageos will probably be the biggest aftermarket ROM base followed by others like Sailfish, etc.
Do we have any updates on release date? I know it's Q1 2019, but i'm itching to buy this phone.

One thing I'm afraid of is screen size. I know Chen said with the 6 inch 18:9 screen, the device will be smaller than the Moto Z dimensions, But I feel like that still makes the device larger than my preference. The most comfortable phone I've ever used size wise is a Galaxy S7 (142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mm). I feel like any bigger would make the device tough to handle without some grip. Hopefully they make it with some grippy materials. I would prefer soft touch surfaces (like the original Nexus One or the T-Mobile G2). Both of those handsets were premium aluminum feeling with some soft touch accents to provide incredible levels of grip. It may be a while until skin manufacturers make applications for this device (assuming they ever do).

I'm obsessively checking on this phone every day, haven't been this excited about a device in a while. Hopefully they release soon

Based on my research and existing phones with a similar display size, I'm thinking this device will be roughly 150mm tall, 75mm wide, not sure about thickness, but maybe 10mm or less. I sincerely hope it's as compact as possible for handling purposes, possibly smaller than I estimated

Last edited by gtmaster303; 2019-01-26 at 15:29.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit