Hello,

I have a little problem with my n900 regarding the roaming. My mobile service provider has roaming contract with various providers in the world, for some of them I don't have to do anything for the roaming to work but now I am in a country where for the roaming to work I have to go in the menu and set change imsi and select roaming. On an Nokia Asha I have this setting in the menu but not in the n900.

So the question is how to change the imsi to roaming in the n900 for the roaming to work? And how to change it back to national when I get back home?

The Following User Says Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
IMSI = your SIM card identifier that your provider has assigned to you.
There is nothing in the phone that can affect your IMSI, probably it needs some SIM toolkit function.

I have never heard that it was changeable anyway

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
.. I have to go in the menu and set change imsi and select roaming. On an Nokia Asha I have this setting in the menu ...
You have what?
Seems I need to get an Asha with that firmware asap!

--
juiceme beat me to it
please click me or the smiley above.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-10-16 at 14:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I don't think it's about the asha, probably it is some kind of SIM toolkit function.

See, having dual-IMSI SIMcard would be same as having 2 SIMcards in a phone that has 2 SIM slots.
(Practically, IMSI = "the thing that is the SIMcadr identity")

So, I believe that some operator might offer a SIMcard that is switchable between 2 different IMSI's, that would be like having 2 separate SIMs on one chip.

What good would this really do you, I don't know, since I believe usually people who have 2 SIMcards have them from different operators, the idea being that you switch using the cheaper connection whichever is the one at a given time...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I attached some pics to see how it looks on the other phone.

Name:  20141016_001.jpg
Views: 2109
Size:  49.0 KB
Name:  20141016_002.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  38.0 KB

The Following User Says Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
So, any idea on how to change the imsi on the n900 so I can have service like on the other phone?

Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
So, any idea on how to change the imsi on the n900 so I can have service like on the other phone?
That's a SIMtoolkit function, right?
So that when you do not have your SIM inserted, then you do not have that menu on the phone I believe.

Just put the SIM in your N900, and if it supports SIMtoolkit functionality, then you will have the same menu there.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
The N900 is known for not having a Sim toolkit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_...cation_Toolkit

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
You can search the forum around with keywords STK and simtoolkit, but I'm afraid all you will find are dead ends. I think Nokia did not implement simtoolkit in N900 and nobody has had the resources to do it by themselves.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
This looks definitely like a SIM application menu entry.

@malakai
please start your Asha phone without the SIM and this menu will not be there anymore.

Unfortunately the N900 does not have SIM application toolkit. So there os no chance to use that SIM functionality with the N900.

btw: I have never seen such functionality. And I wonder what it does?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature