Posts: 92 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
I think diversity is also a factor in this whole debate. There are 100's of android phones, so if Nokia steps into the android bandwagon, they will not be noticed because there are (too) many android phones. They are kinda similar. What can androidphone #1 do different then android phone #2 apart from hardware.
Correct me if im thinking wrong though..

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
That is to say that [B]if Nokia could maintain its past growth performance, it should've sold 44 millions smartphones in 2010.
That really depends on exactly how those numbers were counted. For example, if 25 million growth in handsets in the "smartphone" market were on CDMA networks, then neither Apple (who hasn't yet released a CDMA device) nor Nokia (who haven't released a CDMA smartphone) "should have" had growth in that 25 million handsets.

Who ships CDMA smartphones? Handset makers who up to now haven't had a smartphone OS and ship Android, and Blackberry.

I would like to see GSM-specific numbers, otherwise this is really just "smartphones come to CDMA".

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
its not so much of a problem for nokia as it would be for consumers. I dont want to move to a world with fewer OSes. I rather see more...

Also. To me the "biggest" is almost never the best. Just look at symbian or android or windows to desktops.

That is why its so bad.

androd might be crap for some but offers some of the best out of the box apps for mobile devices. However personally i dont like where google is taking us when it comes to privacy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to windows7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
Nokia will rank nowhere near 1st and will have to settle with the releasing the kind of phones your parents think are cool.
Just to highlight a dichotomy - one one side people (you ) are talking about Nokia as a company, and on the other Android, as a platform. The recent 'google beats nokia for 2010Q4' is a good example for that - the analysts take a random mix of manufacturers and devices on one platform, and then compare it to only one, specific offering from Nokia. That's pretty much matching up apples (pun intended) and oranges. They didn't even bother to include non-Nokia symbian devices (hello Japan/China !) as that would ruin the hype. In either case, even with just producing symbian, Nokia will remain the #1 mobile phone vendor for quite some time. Read that carefully. #1 mobile phone vendor. Google is not a mobile phone vendor. Nokia's archenemies are not (directly) Google or Microsoft, but Samsung, ZTE, Motorola, LG, SE and alike (most of which are not doing as well financially as PR/market-share-wise), and in that context, it's really-really big even if it can't grow as fast at the moment (that's the scary part, symbian volumes are increasing !). Changes will be necessary to stimulate growth, but I guess it's no news that Nokia at some point decided it will use new OS-es (MeeGo) and software platforms (=Qt). I guess people are keen on the Android crossover because they know it works (for *them*, not Nokia) and they haven't seen MeeGo.

On the other hand, I don't see anything preventing Nokia from installing a Dalvik VM on Symbian or any other platform for that matter. I mean why not? RIM is supposedly doing it.
It's suicide. Why would anyone write apps with Qt (or native blackberry, etc) if they can cover Nokia with Android apps ? Plus, Symbian HW is lower spec on average than Android so won't look good anyway. Dalvik (or rather, the Android API) is pointless FOR THE VENDORS on any platform other than Android (i.e. blackberry might be preparing a long term migration plan for all I know).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Because Nokia makes better OSses. And takes profit from it. Using Android google will take the money. There's many Android makers already!

Should Apple throw away ios and use Android?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
That really depends on exactly how those numbers were counted. For example, if 25 million growth in handsets in the "smartphone" market were on CDMA networks, then neither Apple (who hasn't yet released a CDMA device) nor Nokia (who haven't released a CDMA smartphone) "should have" had growth in that 25 million handsets.
I don't understand your logic. Should CDMA not be counted for any reason? Why hasn't Nokia release a CDMA smartphone btw? Apple had the AT&T lock in for years that were preventing them to go CDMA.

Google (& partners) saw the niche and made sure that they fill the void before Apple does. That certainly boosted their sales numbers and adoption rate.

Predicting (or making) a trend is a big part of marketing. I see those who're late to the party as the ones missing te bus. Nokia certainly missed the early smartphone wave.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-02-02 at 10:16.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Nokia's target consumers are on GSM networks, plus Nokia owns the patents for GSM not CDMA. Apple is going CDMA with the eventual intention of selling CDMA/GSM dual chipset iPhones in China where Google wants no part of.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
Nokia's target consumers are on GSM networks, plus Nokia owns the patents for GSM not CDMA. Apple is going CDMA with the eventual intention of selling CDMA/GSM dual chipset iPhones in China where Google wants no part of.
Does that mean they cannot license CDMA? Or if they create CDMA handsets, they're at some disadvantageous position that it's not a profitable endeavor?

What about next gen chipsets? LTE, wimax, etc

Nokia certainly has their fair share of CDMA candybar / featurephones.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
the fact that you don't really have a clue about mobile industry at all...
Sorry that I don't work for Engadget/PhoneDog/Phone Arena

I agree with you that having a fragmented OS distribution among handsets would be odd, and wouldn't make much sense. But I'm really hypothesizing on the future, if Meego stumbles and falls the way Maemo did. Would Nokia then just throw in the towel on trying to cook up their own OS for high-end devices and continue to make awesome HW but using a tried-and-tested (and popular with con$umers) OS such as Android?

Tags
fanboyism, just say no, to android, to drugs