I have tried Elive before... me not like... too much candy... Quite same feeling with Element... But nice work!

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following User Says Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Yes, the guy has a vision to give a WOW! effect when people install it to an older computer which they thought is of no use anymore. Quite well he has done so it works out of the box and many nice features and has taken a lot of bloatware of. But did not wan't to use it either in the end. Like to customize myself. But one guy and Elive has been for a long time and he still develops it more.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
elive is a decent "e" distro...
I used it years ago...
haven't for a long time now though...

I am on his mailing list..
I am just waiting for him to finally release a 64bit version...
32bit is a tragic waste of any of my comps hardware..

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
I just hope there would be distros dedicated ONLY for 32bits. People throw so much pcs now away cause either distros or browsers drop out the support for 32bit. Very wary nice old computers which look much nicer and have a character. Laptop manufacturers have followed the same guidelines as car makers: First try what is best in windtunnel. Everything looks the same to have the lowest wind resistance. Now you customize your laptop with stickers so it stands out in the growd and you find it in the cafeteria or workplace.

After in the other thread people posted their desktop screenshots I just had to fix mine. On the right upper corner weather report page with rain radar for the day and 10 days weather.

In the middle awesome notes app which I had missed.

On the left iceweasel with couple of sites bookmarked with saved password to kids school sites which do not work with any other browser.

Only most often used apps on the desktop and a calendar.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
And I just don't get it work that there would be one small full image which you can click to see it bigger.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
now that desktop is sharp.
nice

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Tried yesterday to run antix (it seems I have version 17 something on the dvd) on a laptop I dug out of dumbster yerterday. HP xn9010. Rams and wireless chip had been taken away but not the hdd cause the guy probably didn't find out how to remove it. A hidden screw underneath a rubber pad prevented it. Took a while from me too before understood to rip that rubber out of a deep whole. Antix could not load and adviced try console installation. I passed. Gonna maybe try Puppy on this one.

I had two 512ram modules (the maximum for this machine) and it booted on XP without password. What is nice with this machine is that it has 2,4 cpu and 1gb ram, pcmcia slot, floppy drive, infrared, dvddrive and two usb ports. A nice combo of things. I think this could work as an agent machine.

Also decided yesterday I will probably sell some of my projects away. I think compaq contura will have to leave (8mb ram) but I will still hold on to my Nokia Data MikroMikko 6 laptop with 4mb ram. Also will probably go a fulitsu machine with 96mb ram. And maybe this new one too. I think my Compaq Armada 1700 with awesome sound with reflect pipes on the speakers will stay as my working retro laptop. But it doesn't have the ball mouse which I like (on MikroMikko there is as well as on Contura).

I have wanted to make a retro gaming machine from some of these but now thinking that I will make it out of a pc I build inside an old 8mm reading machine which looks like a very very old TV. I took everything away from the machine, made it a bit less deep (it was like 60cm deep and made it to 30cm), placed a lcd screen in the place of the original and behind that stands a thin HP pc with maximum of 8gb ram. It has an aluminium folding front in the below on which I assembled a keyboard on the inside and behind that there is 2.1 speakers and a mouse in its own hole.

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-01-10 at 05:38.

Got flu and in bed. What to do? Hey I don't understand anything but would like to get Kolibri Os running in N900!

So how it should be done? I don't believe it would be able to launch with uboot and have never used that so that is a no go. But what about chroot? Could it launch in chroot? Well I don't know how it should be set up. There are these keybindings and screensizes and mouse/touchscreen stuff.

It would be easiest to get running in a VirtualMachine (like then you don't have any problems!). Is there such for N900? Google knows that - hey qole has instructions for Meego setup on chroot!

Let's see. Very detailed instructions and if I would change in all meego places Kolibri replicants could it work? Maybe but seems a bit complicated.

Was there something else in google? Bochs. Let's see what community says about it. TMO says it is slow, but that was probably without overclocking. So let's install that. Going to SourceForce download page and try to download and netsurf crashes. And micro-b fails to open. And Opera. And chromium 57 and Iceweasel both just wont do it and finally crashes. I have managed to download KolibriOs img so why not this!?!

I am sick and have been fighting with this in bed with my N900 for two hours now and nerves are gone, kaput. I am pretty sure that the latest bochs file I try to download would not install on Fremantle. But would like to try. And if not installing then trying in Easy Debbie.

And even if I would manage to install that bochs I am pretty sure I would not know how to make it launch KolibriOs. I found some instructions for freedos, so maybe if I would use those instructions it could be possible - or not. But I would like to try.

It would be so nice to start a thread KolibriOs on N900 and say: "Hey I just tried if this could be possible and it was and everything just worked".

Now nerves are gone, I would like to through N900 - no, myself - on the wall. Instead of watching a good movie and resting and eating something good I have pressed my brains with this something which would not even work even if I could manage to install what I try.

Love this device and love linux. Just trying to climb the tree form the wrong end is really hard and works only sometimes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Fennec didn't open sourceforge page either and dooble won'tlaunch at all cause I've messed the conf files and don't know how to recover it to default state.

But gave another try with Iceweasel and managed to download bosch!