Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Ever tried to do something productive with Emacs and a virtual keyboard?
No but then I've never tried to do something productive with Emacs and a real keyboard.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
My issue with this... why is it still like this in 2016? The real answer and not some "Micro$oft SUX0RS" type of response won't cut it... but it's sadly all I'll expect.
It's never been like this. Most of the time, these devices (e.g. the Vaio UXes) have better support under $RANDOM_GNU_DISTRO than under stock Windows. With Windows you need to go around fishing for 3rd party "driver packs" which almost invariably only work with a specific, decade old version.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
It's never been like this. Most of the time, these devices (e.g. the Vaio UXes) have better support under $RANDOM_GNU_DISTRO than under stock Windows. With Windows you need to go around fishing for 3rd party "driver packs" which almost invariably only work with a specific, decade old version.
Okay, so 2007 was a great year for devices that may have wanted to run Linux.

It's now 2016. Not so damn great now, is it? Even Linus Torvalds has gone on a rather Richard Stallman-ish "**** Nvidia" rant once or twice in the last decade.

I think a lot of folks just don't get how inconvenient it is to have to build your entire device purchases around "Will this run Linux?" as opposed to just running nicely "out of the box" - and I've not have had to download 3rd party driver packs since I was an admin for Windows 2000 Server SP2 - and I used to admin Windows machines from WinNT 4.0 to Windows 8.1/Windows 2012 Server and most points in-between in Fortune 500 companies.

Linux is great on a server. Linux is great embedded on a device. Damn near every Linux handheld device has flopped or is in some state of disarray, discontinuation or abandonment (read: project is now on GitHub).

I've used Slackware since almost the very beginning - mid-90's version 2.0 IIRC. I drove 280 miles (450 km) to the (then) nearest CompUSA just to touch the Nokia 770, which I ended up buying on the spot. Same for the N810, went backwards to purchase a N800.

Nothing like that exists like that right now. The excuses remain the same. And the idea that Linux cannot exist in the same space on devices that are coming out tomorrow because folks decided to finally support something from yesterday is ******** to my ears today.

That needs fixing.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
If they want linux devices to be successful they need to stop marketing them as linux devices. Just make a great phone with a linux core, but stop harping on about the fact its a linux core because mainstream users dont care.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Exactly! Make a device that works and market it as such. This is what I expected Jolla to be and now, two years later, I have to say that I am bitterly disappointed

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
If they want linux devices to be successful they need to stop marketing them as linux devices. Just make a great phone with a linux core, but stop harping on about the fact its a linux core because mainstream users dont care.
Exactly this.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
The N9 and scheduled Lauta could have been exactly that if support / advertising / 3rd party interest hadn't have been gutted due to the Elopement. Really nice phones for most, "hey look, it runs proper Linux" to the ... enthusiasts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Damn near every Linux handheld device has flopped or is in some state of disarray, discontinuation or abandonment (read: project is now on GitHub).
FTFY.

Nothing like that exists like that right now. The excuses remain the same.
I agree it is sad that nothing like that exists right now, which is the reason this thread goes on and on. The excuses are most probably the same: that there's not enough demand for this type of device. But I'm not sure if this what you're talking about.

Not much that we can fix, save for making our own machines.

And now for the flame fest...

Okay, so 2007 was a great year for devices that may have wanted to run Linux.

It's now 2016. Not so damn great now, is it?
It's funny, because the majority of 2016 devices run Linux as stock kernel. And only Linux! So I don't understand why would you even mention this? The situation for Linux has improved by any objective metric I can think of.

Now. Personally, I could not care less about Linux (in fact I would use _anything else_ if I could). I do care about free software, and I've come to realize that the free software situation has not improved that much and IMO it is worse today than it was in 2007. I blame Linux for that. But that's another story.

I think a lot of folks just don't get how inconvenient it is to have to build your entire device purchases around "Will this run Linux?" as opposed to just running nicely "out of the box"
I think most of the folks here get it. Most of us paid good for our Jollas, after all. And at least I bought because it "ran nicely out of the box". Otherwise, I've would have bought a $RANDOM_ANDROID_DEVICE and installed Sailfish on it.

I'm fully aware of how hard this is. Your user experience with an alternate operating system will almost be never better than the manufacturer installed+tested+"customized" version (save for extremely crappy manufacturers).
This includes installing Sailfish on a Android device, installing Windows 10 on a Windows 8 device, or installing CyanogenMod, or ...

Obviously, we do it for reasons widely known -- we want to extend the use cases that the manufacturer envisioned, perhaps even make futile attempts to create something that resembles our dream device...

and I've not have had to download 3rd party driver packs since I was an admin for Windows 2000 Server SP2 - and I used to admin Windows machines from WinNT 4.0 to Windows 8.1/Windows 2012 Server and most points in-between in Fortune 500 companies
Clearly you've never bought any mobile/embedded device recently, since I had to go and hunt for a driver pack for my Surface Pro 2, which is a _Microsoft_ device. Arguably, it's not 3rd party, since they actually host it in msdn.com ; the experience is rather similar though.

Last edited by javispedro; 2016-03-15 at 18:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
FTFY.
It wasn't in need of fixing.

It's funny, because the majority of 2016 devices run Linux as stock kernel. And only Linux! So I don't understand why would you even mention this? The situation for Linux has improved by any objective metric I can think of.
Guess you've never had any problems with wireless chipsets and the like. Lucky you. Folks here complain about that ad nauseum. My mileage has varied and my experience(s) have been mostly fantastic.

Now. Personally, I could not care less about Linux (in fact I would use _anything else_ if I could). I do care about free software, and I've come to realize that the free software situation has not improved that much and IMO it is worse today than it was in 2007. I blame Linux for that. But that's another story.
And I don't care about free software. It's mostly **** that's not supported shortly after it's been released usually. But we clearly have different wants and needs.

Clearly you've never bought any mobile/embedded device recently, since I had to go and hunt for a driver pack for my Surface Pro 2, which is a _Microsoft_ device. Arguably, it's not 3rd party, since they actually host it in msdn.com ; the experience is rather similar though.
I'm typing to you via a Surface Pro 4. Never had to download one driver for it, the Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 2, Surface 2 RT, nor Surface Pro or Surface RT. Yes... I have owned all of those at one time or another.

Simply stated; we have had a very different device experience. My need for any driver pack has not happened since 2002. Guess the least 14 years have been kinder to me than you in that one regard.

I have no regrets or apologies for that difference.

Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
The N9 and scheduled Lauta could have been exactly that if support / advertising / 3rd party interest hadn't have been gutted due to the Elopement. Really nice phones for most, "hey look, it runs proper Linux" to the ... enthusiasts.
And it would have only gone on sale in Azerbaijan and other esoteric markets where the N9 initially was sold. I am not convinced the N9, Lauta or any of it would have made a dent since most of the board was either behind Elop or starting to turn against the drama surrounding Symbian.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Grrrrbick, I seem to detect a slight bit of anger in your tone. I hope all is well!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy