Notices

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by Robbie1999 View Post
Saturn,

Thanks for the reply, My battery wasn't low but it wasnt full. I haven't rebooted in a while so I assume that I have made changes/ installations. Yes my phone was overclocked.

I have been reading other forums on flat batteries, my situation looks a lot like a completely flat battery. I have access to another battery, I will attempt to flash the firmware once i can get to flasher and let you know how it goes.

Is there anything else, from the answers to your questions, that might be of help? Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Robbie
From your explanation I wasn't able to understand if you're in a reboot loop or if it just doesn't want to complete the boot and switches off.

If the second, try a charged battery first. If you're in a reboot loop, I would reflash definitely. Trying to fix it would be too much effort.

Sorry, I can't help really. By reading the code of SMSCON I can tell you that the command you executed did just a shutdown using the command provided by the operating system - nothing special.

Hope you manage to fix it without too much effort.

Saturn,

Cheers for your help, its fixed now. I had to use another battery so i could flash the latest firmware. Initially i guess it was stuck in a boot loop and then the battery ran flat. So all my data was still there just had to reinstall all my apps. Whether this was a result of the smscon command or just coincidence I don't know. Thank anyway.

Cheers
Robbie

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 300 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
Hi all,

A new update (0.7-1) will be released somewhere in the upcoming week. I was very busy lately with other things, so I didn't do any development on smscon.

Things I will develop (in next or future updates):

1) multiple allowed IMSI numbers in smscon_config; when using multiple SIM cards in your phone.
2) new SMS command COM_SHELL; running direct shell commands via SMS.
3) new SIMUNLOCK, SILENCEDEVICE & AUTOBATREPORT usersettings.

Last edited by digitalvoid; 2010-11-17 at 08:41. Reason: changed release version

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to digitalvoid For This Useful Post:
Awesome! Keep up the good work

Btw, any idea if I can use hotmail and if so how to configure it? Have not found any information regarding this and got no replies yet.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Hi all,

Would like to ask all people already tested the SMSCON and the Editor packages in the testing repository to vote for their promotion.

SMSCON and SMSCON Editor

It would be good to have a version available for the users before we start testing new features. Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Hi Digitalvoid,

Some more possibilities for you to consider:

1) The daemon is modified to check more than one file. That is, to accept files like smscon_config, smscon_config1, smscon_config2,... etc. found in its directory.

I could add a button in the editor "Add new IMSI" which will basically move/rename the current config file up to the next available slot.
The user then needs to change the SIM and during booting a new config file will be created automatically.

2) The daemon is modified to check multiple lines in the config file. In that case the add button will append the new IMSI in the file.
Hi Saturn, I'm using option 2 (will send you the code when finished, if needed).

First, thanks digitalvoid for writing this neat app. Unfortunately I had a pretty serious incident with it this afternoon that made me decide to uninstall it immediately and post this message of caution.

I had installed the app a couple of days ago and configured everything, worked great. It was great to watch a simple sms trigger a whole chain of events that ended up with a front cam pic in my mailbox.

So this afternoon I showed it to my colleague and asked him to send me the "Camera" text message. The program responded, but when I opened the phone, it asked for an access code. After a couple of tries, I found the one that worked, but in the mean time, my colleague was already getting text message after text message. In the end he probably received about 20 messages(!). IIRC the message he received again and again was something like "status message, phone closed".

So please all, beware that misconfigurations or bugs (in any app) can translate to serious loss of money when they happen on a phone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll only be charged for the 20 messages. Who knows how many the phone may have tried to send.

My advice would be to only use the app on a prepaid sim card until this bug (or something I did wrong?) is resolved. Of course, if there's anything I can do to help find the cause of what happened please let me know.

The Following User Says Thank You to micron For This Useful Post:
@ Micron:

Sorry for this to happen, could you mail me your log file of smscon (is in /tmp/smscon.log) for analysis? (BTW, if you have rebooted your phone after this incident the log file is deleted)

Did you use the last version of smscon (0.5-9) and have you fully configured the smscon_config file before use of smscon?

PS: When smscon is configured to lock the phone after activation & the lock has never been used before on you phone the default code is 12345 (it is wise to change this).

No problem, digitalvoid, the risk is part of the deal when using the devel repositories. I was just a little naive regarding the potential consequences. Please don't let it keep you from developing more great apps! :-)

12345 was indeed the code that unlocked the phone. As you can image I kinda freaked out when this happened, so I did reboot the phone, even took the battery out. Is there something like undelete for linux, so that I can try to recover these files?

Not sure what the version was, but I downloaded the app a couple of days ago with the app manager using one of the devel or extras catalogs, so it was probably the latest.

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by digitalvoid View Post
When smscon is configured to lock the phone after activation & the lock has never been used before on you phone the default code is 12345 (it is wise to change this)
Sorry for the seemingly dumb question , but where can we change this code? I can't spot it in the SMScon editor nor in it's config file. TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset