Notices

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
As a user of a community port device, the Jolla store isn't an option. (Jolla fancies itself as the pretty girl in the midst of the chess club/glee club/AV club of community port devices, and we're too 'grody-to-the-max' to even talk to.)
Jolla devices are not the only pretty girls in the company, my Hammerhead/SFOS is a top girl too

Are there already plans to have routing announcements e.g. via TTS?

How can i donate to the dev(s) of this great project ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bomo View Post
Are there already plans to have routing announcements e.g. via TTS?
Text to speech? To my knowledge, there's no such thing in the Sailfish platform. I once tried espeak, which someone had packaged and distributed at OpenRepos. On about the fifth call, it crashed the whole OS, so it didn't seem ready for use. It would be fairly easy for me to add TTS calls to navigation, finding a working TTS library/program is the difficult part.

Originally Posted by bomo View Post
How can i donate to the dev(s) of this great project ?
I don't currently need donations. I'm all right and we're currently on free of charge plans with all service providers due to the low user count.

Apparently Qt 5.6 is going to be in the next update. That will probably result in Poor Maps being allowed at the Jolla store, which could bump the user count maybe tenfold and thus bring costs with the service providers. I'd prefer to cover the service costs by simply charging for the app, but while Jolla still doesn't have payment systems in place, I'll likely ask for donations.

http://merproject.org/meetings/mer-m...-05-09.00.html (7b)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
Text to speech? To my knowledge, there's no such thing in the Sailfish platform. I once tried espeak, which someone had packaged and distributed at OpenRepos. On about the fifth call, it crashed the whole OS, so it didn't seem ready for use. It would be fairly easy for me to add TTS calls to navigation, finding a working TTS library/program is the difficult part.
The issue with espeak, as currently packaged, is that it crashes while trying to output to a sound device. In Saera, I work around this by having espeak write to STDOUT instead, and piping that to gstreamer. This can be done via:

Code:
espeak --stdout "Some text" | gst-launch-1.0 -q fdsrc ! wavparse ! audioconvert ! pulsesink
A similar approach can be used with flite. The main issue with flite is that it cannot output to STDOUT - or, for that matter, any pipe, due to how it interacts with file handlers - but it can write to a file; so my approach here is to have flite save to a file and then have gstreamer play that file. Command line for this is:

Code:
flite -t "Some text" -o /tmp/out.wav && gst-launch-1.0 -q filesrc location=/tmp/out.wav ! wavparse ! pulsesink
Finally, I would like to mention that for anyone looking for a TTS-enabled GPS solution on SFOS, there is one in development in Saera (and should be released soon).

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Thanks taixzo, your approach makes sense.

What is a TTS-enabled GPS solution?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
What is a TTS-enabled GPS solution?
Something that gives point-to-point GPS directions via text to speech. Saera is not a mapping app, but it does give turn by turn verbal directions if you ask it to.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@otsaloma, from reading @taixzo messages, it seems to me that its possible to pre-synthesise the routing messages and just play them from a file at the right moment. Since you have the data for the whole route, there should be plenty of wall time to do that. You would even have an advantage of knowing how long each phrase is. Note that since /tmp is mounted on tmpfs you could even do it without any need of writing it to storage...

I have never looked into the sound part, but I presume its easy to play it from the file.

Would that help to implement spoken instructions?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Pre-synthesis isn't really necessary on modern phones. In my tests on Jolla 1, flite synthesizes at about 25x playback speed, with a fairly processor-intensive voice; espeak is even faster, at ~100x. Even for very long directions, the audio is generated in under half a second worst-case.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Agreed, as far as I know, the technical solution is no more complicated than just calling the above commands with some predefined advance before each maneuver.

But there's other stuff prioritized ahead: Finnish public transport routing (because I need it myself!), i18n, Qt 5.6 and Jolla store.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:

I don't currently need donations. I'm all right and we're currently on free of charge plans with all service providers due to the low user count.

Apparently Qt 5.6 is going to be in the next update. That will probably result in Poor Maps being allowed at the Jolla store, which could bump the user count maybe tenfold and thus bring costs with the service providers. I'd prefer to cover the service costs by simply charging for the app, but while Jolla still doesn't have payment systems in place, I'll likely ask for donations.

(7b)

will the app remain open source if it goes commercial ?

The Following User Says Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post: