Looking at an iPega 9023 gave me an idea. The iPega 9023 attaches to the sides of a device and provides gaming controls on the sides; plus it includes a mechanism for adjusting to different device sizes.

Wibrain UMPCs and other UMPCs had an excellent split keyboard layout. This layout should be made into a bluetooth attachment with a mechanism similar to the Ipega 9023 so that it could adjust to multiple device sizes. Such a device would provide keys on both sides of the phone or tablet. Maybe a touchpad could be included similar to the Wibrain umpcs

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Pity no one came with this idea instead of magnetic TOHKBD while it was still relevant.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Perosnally, I never liked those split-keyboards

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Neither do I. But anything that snaps to the unit properly is better than magnets.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
The downside is that it's going to be rather large... I'd even dare to call the combo unpocketable!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
You keep just the phone in the pocket. The keyboard it clips into can be in the bag and used only when required and convenient.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Devices with split Qwerty keyboard:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_Pad
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_E70

Interesting form-factor...

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:

The Samsung Q1 has a similar layout.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You keep just the phone in the pocket. The keyboard it clips into can be in the bag and used only when required and convenient.
Yes, but then you have to carry a bag with you...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Neither do I. But anything that snaps to the unit properly is better than magnets.
I don't think the magnets were a bad idea, they actually solved a lot of complicated design issues and allowed for a slimmer keyboard. What was missing in my opinion was a counterweight in the keyboard (but it would have been bulky) and a thingamajig to secure both halves together, so that one could hold just the keyboard while typing on the move or in public transports without feeling like a funambulist taking risks. Something like a rudimentary ----T---- slider, where ---- ---- is the bottom face of the phone half and T the middle of the upper face of the keyboard half.

I think I asked that question to Dirkvl during development and he said it would be too complicated and beat the point of the easily detachable TOH (I believe it could still have been detached easily by sliding out if one end of the slider was left open).

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-01-09 at 11:13.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: