Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
First, I want to say that I had read quite a few threads here, like N900 vs Nexus One, or N900 vs Milestone/Droid, but I am still confused.

Please excuse me for opening a new thread with a similar title again. But I think it will be helpful to people with the same question if we have some discussion on this.

Please let me say something about myself first. Recently, I am using Nokia 5310 Xpress Music, with the Symbian OS. Not a smart phone, even not 3G network, so it is a big upgrade.

And on my PC, I installed Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 8.04, you know, kinda like a geek.

The problem is that I can only afford one device. So I want to choose the device that most suitable.

After some study, I find that :

Nexus One has quicker CPU and larger RAM, but with no QWENTY keyboard. The camera and speaker also not perfect.

Milestone/Droid has QWENTY keyboard, but the CPU is not so quick.

Both the above device use Android 2.0/2.1.

N900 has QWENTY keyboard, a bit thicker. But with a different OS, the Maemo. And recently, N900 had been found that can be overclocked.

It seems Meego can run on N900 and it is an exciting news.

But Firefox had release a web browser for Android (Fennec), so MicroB has no more advantage now.

I have several questions now :

1. I was told that the Android OS is based on Dalvik virtual machine and most apps are based on Java. So Android is not a true Linux, is that right ?

2. Somebody say that Android or iPhone OS had limited access to the root, but I find Terminal on both OS.
So is it true ? Because now I runs Ubuntu on my PC and I like the feelings that keying the commands in the Terminal, write some shell scripts, do some configuration, etc.

3. Another problem is that Android has more apps, so is there any "killer apps" that can be a good reason to buy Android device ?

4. So could you give me some advice on which one to choose ?
Especially the people who have used both Maemo device(N900) and Android Devce(Nexus One / Milestone / Droid).

Thanks !

Last edited by lanwellon; 2010-04-08 at 13:27.

Nexus 1 is a bad move in my opinion, Uses a dodgy method of Resolution which actually makes it quite poor in my books. If your going for the N1 go with the HTC which is essentially the SAME phone but with better support (can't remember the name).

I believe the Droid also has been OC'ed to around 900-1000 but don't quote me on that.

I chose the N900 because of its potential, Meego could be on the cards soon and overall its the real geeks device

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
1. True and not really true
2. No root by default on iPhone/Andriod (although both can be rooted without too much difficulty)
3. The app/game selection on Anriod is far better than N900
4. They're all much of a muchness - go to a phone shop and try them out in your hands
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

I would substitute the HTC Desire for the Nexus One, and that would be my choice

if you want hackability n900 is the one (or Palm Pre)

- Both the N1 and Milestone are more consumer devices.
- Some of the software on Android is much slicker.
- Be aware for the Milestone - the keyboard sucks
- The n900 is much more like a mobile pc.

In my household we have both. My wife has Android while I prefer the n900 despite the google services running a bunch better on the Android devices.

My major complaints on the n900 are that the screen is smaller than the n1 or desire (I liked the n800 form factor) and the software sometimes feels like a work in progress...

Last edited by anthony_barker; 2010-04-08 at 14:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthony_barker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
At the end of the day it depends what you are looking to get from the phone.

anthony_barker's post is pretty much it.

Anyway, I want to see "n900 vs Chuck Norris. Which one will win in a fight?"

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
Originally Posted by anthony_barker View Post
if you want hackability n900 is the one (or Palm Pre)
Milestone - keyboard sucks

Both the N1 and Milestone are more consumer devices.

Some of the software on Android is much slicker.

The n900 is much more like a mobile pc.

In my household we have both my wife is Android. I prefer the n900 despite the google services running a bunch better on the Android devices.

My major complaints on the n900 are that the screen is smaller than the n1 or desire (I liked the n800 form factor) and the software often feels like a work in progress...
I see. Because HTC has a 100-people research team focused on UI. So, HTC is the leader in Android phone.

I think Maemo (GNOME team and other developer) does quite well
on UI comparing to the HTC team.

And what about the phone function compare ?

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
As far as I know the android-based phones have much better phone functionality.

The n900 phone support is basic but functional. It's a "computer first then phone". I'm more than happy with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
There a L-O-T of "whine" threads about the N900.... and I'm sure every single person on this forum would advise you to "research" (lol) extensively on the phone before buying... here r some tips -not 100% correct but thats my point of view...
I dont know about theother phones, so i can comment on the n900 only..

The N900 has got basic phone functionalities only. -its an internet tablet with phone functionalities.....
The N900 has got many bugs - search for poor battery, media player, camera(one not working and one has some funny effect in some cases).
mail for exchange, landscape only mode(except phone n browser).
it has been mentioned several times thats its an unfinished, developer's device.
there ARE good things about the N900, the hardware, open source, flash, 32gb hdd (although limited 1gb space for apps i think)...

droid?? i'd not touch motorola, neither comment on this.

N1? I wish I bought the N1 instead of the N900.. capacitive - probably the way to go.. Im always scared of scratching the damn screen...

but im happy now with the N900 after the 900 horsepower engine is flashed.... (warranty void)

Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
Nexus One has quicker CPU and larger RAM, but with no QWENTY keyboard. The camera and speaker also not perfect.
cam and speaker also not perfect on the N900

It seems Meego can run on N900 and it is an exciting news.
not officially

1. I was told that the Android OS is based on Dalvik virtual machine and most apps are based on Java. So Android is not a true Linux, is that right ?
You want TRUE linux? Get an N900