Closed Thread
Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
Help! What have I done? I'm afraid to reboot!
Excellent! Rebooting now would make things quite hard to recover indeed.

Virtually nothing is working now! I have one active SSH session that is kind of working.......

Is there a way to install what was removed using apt-get and the debs I have left in /var/cache/apt/archives ?
Looks like you've attempted to upgrade with the SDK repo enabled, causing conflicts with busybox.

I'm not familiar enough with Debian packaging to be sure what you should do from here, but I think none of that would work anymore. As I understand it, you are currently stuck with no tar, and probably no shell, so installing packages may not work...

First order of business, then, would be to get busybox back on, and all relevant links reinstated. You've got a busybox in /mnt/initfs, but it's linked against a different libc, so you can't just drop it in here...

All I'm thinking is to rip busybox out of another system (on an SD, if you have one).

A quick look thru this thread shows we're talking N800s and N810s. It's not simply a case of OK for N810, not OK for N800, is it?
Sorry, I havent had time to read all 30 pages...

There have been a couple of observations that N800s are fine and N810s break, but it's not that simple. While more trouble is reported with N810s, some N810s went fine, and some N800s failed; I don't think there's a significant correlation.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
as a data point, then...

My unit is an N800, not an N810

I don't have rtcomm-beta installed.

...but, I do have Pidgin (and, thus, libpurple) installed from the Chinook extras repository.

Thanks! So you said:

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Excellent! Rebooting now would make things quite hard to recover indeed.

Looks like you've attempted to upgrade with the SDK repo enabled, causing conflicts with busybox.

I'm not familiar enough with Debian packaging to be sure what you should do from here, but I think none of that would work anymore. As I understand it, you are currently stuck with no tar, and probably no shell, so installing packages may not work...

First order of business, then, would be to get busybox back on, and all relevant links reinstated. You've got a busybox in /mnt/initfs, but it's linked against a different libc, so you can't just drop it in here...

All I'm thinking is to rip busybox out of another system (on an SD, if you have one).

I have gtar and I have a SSH shell, but no ls, cp, etc. I manageed to gtar up my archives and /home directories. How do I use apt-get to install a local .deb in my archives directory? Yes I have busybox in /mnt/initfs/bin but I can't seem to execute anything there. I'm also running this OS off of SD, so I suppose I *could* reboot to the flash OS, mount the SD OS and ah, I'm freaking out, can you or anyone give me a roadmap or have I fubar?

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
N810, failed :-(
(After the update, hardware buttons didn't work anymore, so I was unable to reboot. Had to remove the battery. Now stuck in endless rebooting loop)

Are there other ways to re-flash on Windows than through the Nokia software program? I've got the booting problem for one of my tablets (n810), but the update wizard doesn't recognize it (pushing the upper one on the tablet's front).

Have others had success on flashing with the wizard? Most of the posts in the thread seem to concentrate on other platforms.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
@st5150: Any dpkg?

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
@st5150: Any dpkg?

yes!

:/etc# dpkg
dpkg: need an action option

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages[*];
Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
Type dpkg --license for copyright license and lack of warranty (GNU GPL)[*].

Options marked[*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through `less' or `more' !
I've never used dpkg though... help?

ps- want to "talk" in my other thread to keep this one from being further cluttered? http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=23986

Last edited by st5150; 2008-09-30 at 21:28.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Probability is on your side. People tend to express problems, but not satisfaction...
Also, disagreements. I disagree.

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
But hey, I got the message that the idea wasn't interesting to you. There's of course the danger that some silly person might indeed take the result of such a poll as being representative of the whole tablet userbase and who knows what undesirable shenanigans might follow from that!
If I see the word 'shenanigans', one more time... :P

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It's part of my charm.
HEY! I think I might have charm too!

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
There have been a couple of observations that N800s are fine and N810s break, but it's not that simple. While more trouble is reported with N810s, some N810s went fine, and some N800s failed; I don't think there's a significant correlation.
...and finally, for my one serious answer in this reply...

I have an N800 and it failed for me the first time. I had to flash back to the original Diablo release and then let it update until it was finally up-to-date.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Closed Thread

Tags
diablo, os2008, ssu, upgrade