Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 215 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Earth, 38.830000, -77.00000
As the title says, Slysics, the game I have spent the last two or three weeks preparing has now reached a playable state(well, it was playable from day one, let's just say a fully featured state) and is now in extras and Downloads for diablo.

Release candidate for extras and downloads! now in extras-devel.
Beta + Extras/Downloads Slysics-0.7.1

For those who've missed the general information which I posted before the name change. Here is a quote from my website.
Slysics is a game where you draw lines and watch a figure slide down those lines in a sort of sled physics simulation, written in C++ using SDL and the Box2D physics engine. Slysics was written with maemo tablets in mind so stay tuned for a future release on PC.

List of features:

* Independent line types for each drawing tool.
* Finger friendly menus.
* Initial velocity.
* Initial spawn angle.
* Acceleration lines.
* Deceleration lines.
* Live editing when paused.
* Trace lines.
* Independently falling off limbs
* Falling off hat that may affect the sled's travel

Slysics will soon be available on maemo5.
Picture of it on my N810:

It actually runs pretty nicely on the tablet, though it might slow at times when you're going way too fast.

So yea, have fun, find bugs, and give me your honest opinion . (If you need help navigating the UI, screenshots are on my website thing)

Before I end the post, I have a question for those that try it. Is it too easy to make the guy fall off? I dramatically lowered the force needed before release. Opinions appreciated.

</random unorganizedness>

Edit 6: Updaets:
Originally Posted by Firebird8 View Post
Hurray, I am releasing Slysics-0.2.3 today which will be the precursor to the final version that will make it up to extras and downloads.

"Change Log"/Changes:
  • Save and load added (Saving large maps may take some time, wait until the save menu disappears)
  • D-Pad scrolling
  • Direction pointer added
  • Distance counters added
  • Snap to prev line points option added
  • Some bug fixes
  • More stuff I can't recall .
  • World size halved

Btw, I haven't bothered coding the flag manager yet so that doesn't work. Also, if you fall a very long time and reach the end of the world, your game will still crash.

TODO:
  • Fix end world crash bug
  • Make saving the map screenshots faster
  • Clean up the code, make it pretty/better/faster
  • Add world objects (instant accelerators, teleports, etc)
  • More stuff to come...

So, go install it when it gets through the autobuilder in extras-devel and have fun with the new features and old ones , and report bugs/requests for features.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Aww, I messed up the title name (missed an s in the game name)

Edit2: Forgot to mention that you can't load, which will come later, for now, just save...

Edit 3:
Make sure you install the -3 version.

Edit 4:
If anyone's wondering, the flag doesn't work ;P.

Edit 5:
Oh yea, don't forget to make your tracks robust for change, each simulation doesn't go through exactly the same as the last .

Edit 6:
If anyone can't figure out the GUI, here's some "Documentation":
To change line colors on either the pencil tool or line tool:
-Select the tool, then push it and drag up.

If you get lost and want to return back to the spawn:
-Select the move tool, then push the icon again and drag up (get the idea?)

To set an initial velocity:
-Drag up on the play button

Pausing allows you to edit if you didn't know

To set an initial spawn angle:
-Push and hold the spawn until it becomes red, then drag in a direction. To set it back to zero, push, hold, and let go when it goes red.

To move the spawn around:
-Drag the spawn.

Lines:
-Orange accelerates in current direction
-Sand/Tan decelerates
-Green is normal

Trace Lines:
-Black is the sled
-Blue is the body
-Red is the hat
-Green is the head
-Violet is the arm
-Yellow is the leg

Last edited by Firebird8; 2009-09-28 at 23:02. Reason: Updates/Mentions.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Firebird8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 110 | Thanked: 215 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Earth, 38.830000, -77.00000
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
I can't get it to run from the Applications menu or from the command line.
Hmm, odd, does it say anything? From the commandline it should be "Slysics-run"

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
No loading banner... nothing.

Running Slysics-run results in:
sh: Slysics-run: not found

Even though I was able to tab-complete it.

Running Slysics alone works... SDL initializes, screen goes black and then it segfaults almost right away, SDL parachute.

Alright, I shall go test on another device >_>. Sorry guys.

Interesting, the N800 of my brother's installs and runs it perfectly.. Hmm .

As for zerojay, it parachutes because you need to cd to /usr/share/slysics before you run it directly. It's run through a script so that it can cd and change the cpu governor for you.

Last edited by Firebird8; 2009-09-12 at 22:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to Firebird8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I'd be happy to test this on an N900, N810, and on an N800.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
I'd be happy to test this on an N900, N810, and on an N800.
Thanks for the offer , though, would diablo packages work on the N900? I'm planning a separate release for maemo5 eventually which will use GLES, but I guess pure SDL for now would work. I'll try to get a package to maemo5 extras-devel soon.

As for the script errors, I have no idea what's wrong, and can't test for the error as it runs perfectly on both devices I have at hand. *-2 is in the pipe so for those of you who can't launch it, try that and report back.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebird8 For This Useful Post:
Hmm, well that was embarrassing, thanks to qwerty12 I think I found the error. I was assuming that everyone had bash installed, and apparently its not true , oops. So *-3 *should* maybe.. hopefully.. work perfectly. (Hope I'm not swamping the builder..)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Firebird8 View Post
Thanks for the offer , though, would diablo packages work on the N900? I'm planning a separate release for maemo5 eventually which will use GLES, but I guess pure SDL for now would work. I'll try to get a package to maemo5 extras-devel soon.
Thanks.

I've been using XChat and GConf editor from Diablo's extras-devel fine w/out a hitch. And this has less dependencies than them, which should make it even nicer.

Although, in Fremantle, maemo-select-menu-location doesn't exist and you will need to check for its existence before running it or dpkg will die.

And you haven't set the WMCLASS in the game itself; xprop says "SDL_App".

Thanks for the game!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Thanks.

I've been using XChat and GConf editor from Diablo's extras-devel fine w/out a hitch. And this has less dependencies than them, which should make it even nicer.

Although, in Fremantle, maemo-select-menu-location doesn't exist and you will need to check for its existence before running it or dpkg will die.

And you haven't set the WMCLASS in the game itself; xprop says "SDL_App".

Thanks for the game!
Heh, I was unsure about the WMCLASS part, /me points at the wiki. Though, you can't really minimize, so is it really needed? For the maemo-select-menu-location thing in postinst, I fully intended this to be a diablo only release(note the deletion of detecting code in the postinst script), but if you get it working on the N900, awesome.

Edit:
Anyone have any idea how I could move a garage project to a new directory of a different name? Or should I just make a new project..

Tags
entertainment, fun, game, slysics, time killer