Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I sent it to forum member trzyzet who has been doing it. He started a thread here about fixing them. He took a quite big workload when he promised to fix my N900s. About 40 I think. I still need about 20 backcovers, keypads and keypadframes. Then there are some which boot and I can use them but can't change the code because I do not know how to reset the lockcode. That part I could give to someone else to do. I think there is under 10 N900 like that. But I believe in the end I may have 35 fully working N900s to share with community.

I would love to be able to bring more developers to the community with them to make Maemo great again, sorry, the greatest again. Maemo Leste - the greatest linux opensource mobile Os in the world! They could even be a reward if people make working and good apps and neccessary apps for N900. Like an app developing competition once in two or three months and users will vote which app will win and also give feed back of the apps in competition so developers can tweak them and try next month again. Would that sound a good idea or something similar?

I think I need to keep myself few because I broke like 5 N900s in 2 years: one soaked in water, one fixed by baking but ripped the camera in parts while disassembling, one baked in 200 celsius instead of 100 (not a good odour), one cellular stopped working because pressed the keys too hard while playing Psycho Pinball with it. So I need to get them away from me.

I paid 150€ for those 50. It was a big job to go through what they got inside and remove personal info and to check if there would be awesome developer stuff in them. I am not after making profit with them. I have been offering them for 15€ for members in need or parts, but I am (have been) very slow in sending the parts. Hoping to become faster in that.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Am I right that this is not working with N900 but that you need a usb 4G receiver to be able to connect to 4g network?

Are these fake news or true?
Reading the link all you have to do is change the bands. I guess the N900 will have settings for this showing everything rather than what the network that sold you the phone wants you to see so if the bands used by your network (which varies by country and network) are available on the chipset it should work. Unless the link is flat out lying, but that would be strange as they don't try to sell you anything.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
Unless the link is flat out lying, but that would be strange as they don't try to sell you anything.
Have you not seen myriads of fake YouTube videos that don't sell anything?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I have read that people are struggling with N900 phones because carriers drop down 3G support and they say they become unusable. I do not understand about these things and have just thought that 3G phone can not use 4G network. But then there are this kind of articles which suggest that you can use 4g netwotk with a 3g sim but it just does not support the 4g speed https://maccablo.com/convert-3g-phone-to-4g-phone/

Are these fake news or true?
Those 3G-to-4G conversions mentioned on the page you pointed seem to be dependent on the baseband chipsets ability to work on different RANs, which may be possible if the handset manufacturer has used a multiRAN capable baseband but for some reason (cost, segmentation?) decided to only enable 3G RAN.

It is not necessarily "Fake news" (but might be!) as similar thing was with the original Jolla phone (sbj-1) which only supported 3G when it came to market and then got 4G upgrade later, might have been in v2.0 "Saimaa" update if I remember correctly.
Also in this case the hardware already was there, it just needed the SW stack update to enable 4G.

N900 dates before 4G release so it is no surprise the baseband does not and will not ever support bands other than 2G/3G
However Neo900, should it have seen light did have that capability as it had the baseband chip upgraded to a more modern mutiRAN version.

Am I right that this is not working with N900 but that you need a usb 4G receiver to be able to connect to 4g network?
Yep, this is tha way to go. (or you might go the Neo900 way and redesign board layout to incorporate a more modern baseband )

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
Have you not seen myriads of fake YouTube videos that don't sell anything?
What fool would trust anything found in a place where clickbait titles earn you money for views? Youtube has music videos, 3D views of released products I'm interested in and if I'm really bored MtG players I can learn from, I have and never will trust it further than that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
From Ninth Leste update:
"Maemo did not support 4G/LTE at all, so we also added that, as can be seen in this virtual machine using a modem via usb-passthrough:"

So software does support but hardware of N900 doesn't. So could something like this be possible with N900 running Leste?
https://youtu.be/U299NzobGk8

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
I have read that people are struggling with N900 phones because carriers drop down 3G support and they say they become unusable. I do not understand about these things and have just thought that 3G phone can not use 4G network. But then there are this kind of articles which suggest that you can use 4g netwotk with a 3g sim but it just does not support the 4g speed https://maccablo.com/convert-3g-phone-to-4g-phone/
Interesting, but I don't think we (Finland, Northern Europe) will be affected by these changes anytime soon. I still see people with Nokia 3310 and similar, and that's not even any G and still works. In fact i have a similar (but much crappier) device myself and it still worked last time I tried. And I've never heard of "a 4G SIM card". Sounds like just more provider lock-in.

edit: Hooray for Wizzup_ and Maemo Leste and a Happy new year!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
does not and will not ever support bands other than 2G/3G
Actually N900 support also 3.5G (HSDPA) and old 2.5G (EDGE).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Question: If I have a N900 with a lock code I do not know, and which doesn't clear with normal flashing, do I have a problem anymore if I flash Leste on the device? I think not, or is there other opinions?

So I can boot and open to fremantle but if I put the lock code on from settings I am not able to open the device, because I do not know the code.

And what was the rescue program to use to get lock code cleared?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:

Tags
leste, maemo 7