Closed Thread
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I'd still prefer a dedicated e-reader at around novel size, i.e. 7".
But I can see how it'd be appealing to some...
I still prefer real paper books until some company comes with something that feels right for reading books..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
If jolla mange to release a working beta smartphone they have done a great job. To add what you expect is impossible. You need to be able to walk, before you can fly...

Time to mange the expectations, folks!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I tend to (somewhat) agree, but that may simply not be good enough...
Even it's the best they can do, being the tiny start-up & sw/hw/odm/oem ecosystem they are.

This may have been answered before, but although I've followed Jolla news with interest, I do not have a clear picture of the issue.

Is Jolla's Sailfish and the essential applications going to be open source 100% or not? Is Jolla going to leave something with closed source licenses?

I think the only way Jolla to really break through, would be to be 100% OSS and be verifiable NSA-backdoor free, and market it as such widely.

If there is closed source components, then few days ago Snowden's leaked NSA's social and monetary strategies may work also in Jolla and some convenient weaknesses exist in the closed source parts of the Jolla Sailfish. Then verifiable three-letter-agencies-free OS cannot be claimed and marketed, and someone or some organization may rather choose for example Replicant Android with OSS apps.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...on-expert-chat

$250m-a-year US program works covertly with tech companies to insert weaknesses into products
Attached Images

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
It's not 100 percent open. It's hard to give a persentage since open means different things to different people.

Reading NSA. I wouldn't trust jolla over any other vendor. When it comes to security, you can only trust yourself.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
This may have been answered before, but although I've followed Jolla news with interest, I do not have a clear picture of the issue.
Being 100% open source is no anti-dote, they've actively gone after those models too.*
The only (slight) advantage, is that vulnerabilities would be found/closed more quickly.
To address your Qn, there's several threads where this has been discussed in detail, can't recall them OTTOMH.
Maybe later I'll point you to them, if someone else hasn't already...

Good night.
*as (undoubtedly) have other govt's with large/powerful economies

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by zimon View Post

Is Jolla's Sailfish and the essential applications going to be open source 100% or not? Is Jolla going to leave something with closed source licenses?

I think the only way Jolla to really break through, would be to be 100% OSS and be verifiable NSA-backdoor free, and market it as such widely.

If there is closed source components, then few days ago Snowden's leaked NSA's social and monetary strategies may work also in Jolla and some convenient weaknesses exist in the closed source parts of the Jolla Sailfish. Then verifiable three-letter-agencies-free OS cannot be claimed and marketed, and someone or some organization may rather choose for example Replicant Android with OSS apps.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...on-expert-chat
Being 100% opensource will never happen. Its not how bussines works, but I wonder why the heck all people complains about that issue when there is so few contributors to what is open already.

I mean seriously, if its so important everything is open source why is there not more people comitting code, testing, sending bugreports to upstream mer and nemoprojects!? mer, sailfish malinglists should be full with poists everyday but most the time I get one or 1 mail/day. Now compare that to kate(kde editor) mailinglist or any other. So my point is start contribute to whats open before discuss about how open Jolla's apps will be...

For me it seems those who want "100% open" are not even contributing in much way to what exists already.

to repeat what said already, take a look here what IS open:

https://github.com/nemomobile

https://github.com/mer-tools

and ofcourse most importantly qt:

http://qt.gitorious.org

And about NSA yes it sucks bigtime. But why care when most people are stupid *****s anyway and using Google, Facebook and similar wihout even think of it. Actually NSA scandal is not something new. People should had realised this WAY before that scandal and actually it will not change because most people thinks "hey USA is the good guys who cares about us"

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-09-08 at 15:50.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Being 100% opensource will never happen. Its not how bussines works, but I wonder why the heck all people complains about that issue when there is so few contributors to what is open already.
It depends. One can be 100% open source, if one finds way to be profitable. Examples include Red Hat, Mozilla and others. Jolla are a startup, and are still figuring things out. I hope they'll find a way to make Sailfish 100% open source (I'm not talking about driver blobs here).

About NSA and etc. Things go way deeper than many even think. It's way beyond Google and co. already.
See http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...e-surveillance

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-09-08 at 17:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
How is open source more secure??

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
It's the more eyes principle. More people seeing the code, should mean less bugs. But admittedly that doesn't always work,or takes time to get noticed. Bad example is Debian OpenSSL messup. Interesting now with all the NSA leaks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeeGee For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open