Active Topics

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
...... since all keys could fit in the Moto Mod and this one will be bigger due to the screen size, with no particular need to increase the size of the keys (unlike the GPD or Gemini which are meant for full-hand typing).
The screen size bigger doesn't mean physical size bigger...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Well, that is good news, and a nice teaser.

Yet, I am sure we could squeeze an optical trackpad somewhere in here, it seems to be basically the size of a single key:

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-07-26 at 12:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Well, that is good news, and a nice teaser.

Yet, I am sure we could squeeze an optical trackpad somewhere in here, it seems to be basically the size of a single key:

https://reho.st/cdn.vox-cdn.com/thum..._motomods2.jpg
I think you posted incorrect image. That is not releted to the new prototype. That is old news image.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
This is the Moto Mod, and Chen suggested that the keyboard for the prototype won't necessarily be bigger despite the bigger screen of the phone! But yeah, we don't know yet what the keyboard will look like, I'm just assuming it won't be smaller than the Moto Mod.

The photo is probably from an early version though, here's the final one I think, but the layout and size are similar:

Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
The screen size bigger doesn't mean physical size bigger...
Totally off topic, but how's progress on the keyboard so I can give you my hard earned €€€€ for it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Ok guys. I’m in total rant mode.

Leave now if you don’t want to bite the bull...

Let’s assume this project is real which I doubt given Chen’s release date dare back in the earlier days.
But hey. Let’s be realistic. Everyone is exited. Money is no issue. Of course project is real.

Stop trolling, Dave!

Ok. The project is real. For chen. Not for us. Are you still exited?

Dave! Stop trolling.

So what we know so far is almost nothing. We know basically that this is not a crowedfunding project or scam project. Check! Great! Now, who is suppose to fund this?

Dave! Stop scam rollin! Chen have all the issues covered.

So Chen have worked months on this and might have an idea of how to build the thing. Let’s say he is doing this for fun, on free time. Fine. That is cool. But no. That is not enough.

Dave. Stop asking the questions. Better to stick our heads in the sand.

So one day Chen might come up with detailed blueprints. That would be an amazing achievement! Just stop here, chen!

Dave! Don’t try to stop chen!

I’m not trying to stop chen. I’m trying to understand what’s going on here. One man or tiny team trying to build something. Without visible funding.

Dave. Chen is rich like a golden nugget. he can afford it!

I don’t think it’s feasable to invest too much money in a slippery slope like this. So if this project is real someone most be funding it. A device will not assable itself, shipped and sold in shop for free or by itself. So you are still saying this project is real?

Dave, the project is real simply because I’m saying it’s real!

Ok. So chen is planning to sell devices. Will the sale be done before or after the device is assembled? I hope it’s after. But who is funding it. Chen might be well connected for all I know. But he needs an assembly line. Parts and some luck.

Dave. Correct! I will buy this no matter what!

Let’s say chen manage to pull a rabbit out of the hat and release something. That would be an amazing achivment!

Yes, Dave. It would. I can’t wait until I have my fat hands on that sexy QWERTY slider.

So now we have a project, a device and something that can possibly work. Now we just need software. Android. No. IOS no. Sailfish. Possibly. Some other fishy oses. No.
So jolla need devices and chen need an OS. Still not seeing how that could workout unless some hackers doing some free scunk work for jolla. Are chen fine with that. To fund jolla with devices without real refund from investment.

Yes Dave. Sailfish and chenPhone is a perfect match..

Basically the only option. I can’t really see who will fund this project other then jolla. And yes the have an OS. Even do I’m not a huge fan of sailfish currently. It's the main road for this project.

Ok. The device is ready. The os is working. The year is 2020.

Yes, Dave. I can wait for years. Just give me a keyboard slider!

So now it’s only QWERTY! No awrtzy qwero or qwzaety. One size don’t fit all.

Dave, now you went to far!

Yes, I’m done. I just wants to understand how this project is to suppose to fly. Let’s assume I’m blind. I can’t see. I want to see how to make this a reality. GL chen. Please fill in the blanks! It's all dark here

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-07-26 at 20:31.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Who said he is doing it for fun on his free time? The device would be branded Livermorium Ltd, that's a company for profit, not a hobby. Companies with a good record who can claim a stand at the MWC in Barcelona, as well as recent positive media coverage like the Moto Mod mentioned in several big tech media, certainly have some capital and some credibility to attract additional investments.

This community here on TMO has long asked for a HWKB device, "we" even built our own as part of the TOH system thanks to Dirkvl and Kimmoli's efforts. Now, the GPD and the Gemini have clearly demonstrated that the market share for a high end HWKB handheld device could be big enough to be economically realistic. This might not be the most lucrative idea ever, but I would say it is at least very timely now that GPD and Gemini have re-ignited the love for HWKB handheld devices and drew attention on such projects, to the point that they are no longer seen as just hobbyist jokes. Maybe it was enough to attract third-party investments, or to be competitive in tech open calls, but at least it seems that Chen has been successful in fundraising for developing (and producing? No idea) his device without a crowdfunding campaign. I don't see why being so skeptical while no one is asked to pay anything before the device is demonstrated.

Also, I really doubt that Jolla has invested a penny in Chen's project, but this informal meeting with Cybette, as well as the teaser at the end of her tweet, tend to make me think that Jolla is not taking Chen as a scammer:

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-07-26 at 18:42.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Hi Kabouik!
About the last part, I dont think cybette works for Jolla anymore (Red Hat now), so despites she still being part of the community, nothing directly related to Jolla in this meeting.

check her twitter signature: https://twitter.com/cybette where Jolla is still mentionned "prev".

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Wow...
and here I thought it was only a theory...

Dave999 has turned into a maemiac!

aw Dave...
you made me laugh with the rebuttals ...
It reminds me of when I was a wee wee lad...
using two sock puppets ...one on either hand ...
and having them argue the finer points of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches..
hahaahaa...
ah good times...

Not to diminish either of the sides of argument you pose ...
they are both valid...

excepting one thing..you are off on...

when you said "A device will not assemble itself..."

I beg to differ..

Countless franchised Transformer cartoons and film prove you wrong...

Excellent post Dave....
got mah popcorn...
you are on a roll my friend ...don't stop now...
hoping for act two...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Hi Kabouik!
About the last part, I dont think cybette works for Jolla anymore (Red Hat now), so despites she still being part of the community, nothing directly related to Jolla in this meeting.

check her twitter signature: https://twitter.com/cybette where Jolla is still mentionned "prev".
Thanks, I was actually wondering about that too. I suppose her tweets are her own opinion anyway, so I was not considering that an official "Jolla approved seal", but it's still encouraging!

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen