Poll: What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?
Poll Options
What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I am having issues with it learning words. Once I use word once in conversation (typing it out) it will remember properly for swyping but after closing messaging app it once again starts guessing wrong as if it forgot the word

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
You can pick up a nexus 5 (hammerhead) very cheaply.
Nexus 5 is not exactly 5' inches. Has a 4.95' inch screen, I don't know if that matters, but if he need sizes / letter distances to be carefully measured, maybe it is an issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Nexus 5 is not exactly 5' inches. Has a 4.95' inch screen, I don't know if that matters, but if he need sizes / letter distances to be carefully measured, maybe it is an issue.
Heh, 0.05" difference is 1.3mm diagonal difference which comes well under 1mm in x- and y- axis difference...
And we are talking about capacitive touch displays here where the margin of error is the approximate diameter of your fingertip...

I'll make a quick guess here it doesn't make the difference of a fart in Sahara desert what's the screen size in this case!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
@Feathers thanks, device is on its way

@mariusmssj look in <language>-user.txt file in ~/.local/share/okboard. If it contains your word, record a few tries to swipe this word. Otherwise, record what happens when you "hunt & peck" your word and wait ~1 minute.
To record something just enable & clear logs from the settings app, use the keyboard, and send me the logs (*.log files from the same directory)

@juiceme some features do not scale linearly with screen size so I need at least two references so I can extrapolate between then. For instance:
  • Error rate increase is smaller than screen size increase (that is why there is no smartwatch version planned)
  • If you hold the phone and swipe with the same hand on a 4.5" display, you will reach some "thumb stretching limit"
    Let's say you are using your left hand. Most people can stretch their thumb to the farthest letter (which is "P" on a QWERTY keyboard), but they will miss the key with a large margin if they try to swipe a word containing "P" and try to do it rapidly. I expect this issue to be more significant on a larger screen.
    BTW Microsoft has found a neat solution for this issue.
If it works on a 4.95" screen, I'm sure it will be allright on a 5" one

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to eber42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
Can someone point me to some guide or something? I want to create swiping keyboard for my language. It's Georgian. I have already created keyboard for it And package for Georgian fonts too. See in my repo https://sailfish.openrepos.net/matemana1991/

I'd like to create swiping keyboard for it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Dec 2015 @ Spain
Originally Posted by matemana View Post
Can someone point me to some guide or something? I want to create swiping keyboard for my language. It's Georgian. I have already created keyboard for it And package for Georgian fonts too. See in my repo https://sailfish.openrepos.net/matemana1991/

I'd like to create swiping keyboard for it.
Here you are, my personal guide of how I make the Spanish Dic for OKBoard. Hope helps you https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=170

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ferlanero For This Useful Post:
If you want you can also have a look at my repo here (still have to fill out the readme)

https://github.com/luchmhor/okboard-de_AT

But just go through the makedict.sh, it does everything for you, even create the rpm in the end if everything is set up correctly. You need a clone of okb-engine of course.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
OKBoard only handles languages with Latin alphabet, so Georgian will not work.
This feature is planned but I don't know when I will be able to implement it. At the moment my backlog has been filled with lot of issues because focus is now on supporting different devices with different screen sizes & resolutions, so that will keep me busy for a while.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to eber42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2017 @ Hamburg, Germany
Originally Posted by mautz View Post
I'll update the german dictionary as soon as i find some time, please be patient.
@mautz Did you find some time in the last 2 months? I would be very happy if you would update the German language package some time soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meegouser For This Useful Post:
Is there a way to add a word to the dictionary after you type it? I'd like to be able to swype my name, for example.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:

Tags
bettertxtentry, huntnpeck sucks, okboard, sailfish, swype