Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
I'll say it again. The n8x0 uses mobile data that you STILL pay for every month. Here in the US everything has contracts... if you want to fart in your own home, you already have a 2 year contract.
I have no contract, prepay, and free low-speed cell data. For this I pay about $10/month ( on average ). The speeds on the data sucks, but for the few times a month I'm not in range of a usable WiFi and desperately need to check wikipedia it does just fine.

I own a Mac and it's an open platform. I can download Xcode and develop applications without Apple's permission. I could install Linux on it, but why? The iPhone/Touch platform is a significant departure from their other platforms in terms of openness.

The iPhone is a wonderful device, it's the perfect example of function and elegance, but it's frigging expensive. It's far more expensive than I'm willing to pay for what is, in essence, a toy since I have no real need for many of the features.

Sure I could buy a touch, but that won't pair with my BT DUN for cell data when I need it. I also feel like the touch is the "red headed stepchild" in the Mac family being the only one where you need to pay for basic software updates. You can bet they will continue to handicap the Touch to make sure it's never a real competitor to the iPhone.

The n810 has really filled my needs without another contract or monthly fee. Having played with the 770 I have also seen incredible evolution in the software for the device. I'm also planning on feeding back enhancements to the community as I find them ( and there are so many to find ).

The SDK is a disappointment, in my opinion, it's far too restrictive to allow real interesting development. Sure it will be great for games and basic productivity apps, but Apple still can't even make their flagship Safari stable on the platform.

Originally Posted by prk60091 View Post
do you even think that there is an iphone forum????????
Hell, I come here to talk about the iPhone because there is intelligent people. I hate talking to most iPhone users I bring up the SDK and the only thing they can relate to is, "DOES THAT MEAN BEJEWELED IS COMING OUT?".

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
ah, virtual "bling" on the "bling phone"

Safari is very stable brontide. In my experience it handles websites much better than my n810 did. There was never any mouse over issues, and scrolling is infinitely better on the touch. I suspect the people that whine of crashing are trying to visit broken myspace pages or something.

I'm tired of taking potshots at the Nokia software, but if anyone here thinks the browser, email or RSS programs are even remotely polished then I don't know what to think of them at this point. Its 3 years of broken progress and sidegrades. Yes there is improvemnts but its seems there is a lack of direction or focus with the product.

The Following User Says Thank You to sherifnix For This Useful Post:
We all have to admit that the iphone changed the game. Anyone who denies that is an idiot (sorry if I offend anyone but it is true)

Apple has done something great. It's not as open as we would like it to be but it works and the integration with the operating system is top notch. There is no fiddling around to get things to work, it just works.

The iphone does what it was advertised to do and the SDK will make it an even greater device. I remember when the iphone was first announced, lots of people embraced it and lots of people said it was all fluff. When it actually came out, it blew away the competition.

There are articles and articles about how every mobile phone competitor was knocked off their feet, how they are scrambling to put out iphone clones.

I don't know, if we just look at the data that's out there, it's pretty clear that the iphone, in its niche, is the best. The n800 allows you to do alot but not without headaches and heart ache.

I'm a proud owner of the n800 and use it daily as a music device (i use rhapsody alot). I've been using Canola as well for managing photocasts, podcasts and listening to my private music collection. The youTube plugin that's coming out should be great. My problems are in how I have to jump through hoops to sync my n800 with my calendar, contacts, etc.

All that being said, I'll be getting an iphone soon. I look forward to syncing it with iCal, iphoto, itunes (via their extensive audio/video podcast library). Also being able to play videos that play through itunes will be awesome.

We really shouldn't be comparing these two devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to stjuste For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
wait till the n900 with wimax come. It will the iphone/touch away.!!!
The point im trying to make is that anything can happen tomorrow. Apple just has this habit of annoouncing things with much show off but nokia just delvers. lets talk now. There are not that many apps for apple but there are many for it's. Ofcourse it may change in the future..... if apple a newcomer can do so much in mobile space just imagine what nokia can do.

nokia is the king have no doubts
I really hope that in light of everything going on in the scene right now, that Nokia does do something amazing. WiMax will be a great addition but I for one would be more interested in some more stable applications and support for the tablets. We'll see what happens...

ok, as i see it, theres much uneeded bashing of apple, personally i like the itouch/iphone ui way better than the stock maemo2008, apple has hype to live up to, so they do more with their stuff, and so its better, nokia is sorta nuts in a way about some of these things, they churn out inovations every minute it seems, and each new one take priority, so you get a landfil of halfbaked or worse half finished things, second, when you compare these things always the itouch and n8x0 because as you keep on saying its NOT A PHONE
now as much as i love my n810, and i really do, its great, i use if often, though honestly i think my productivity may go down sometimes (internet is very distracting) the apple products really show the sheer willpower of steve jobs being put to work, when he puts his mind to something, mountains move [thanks to the reality distortion field (which i think is a good thing, helps get things done and noticed)]
now tablets have potential because they are modifiable freely, but potential is just that, unrealized
iphone/itouch= realizing
now who wins? the genius who sleeps all day, or the smart guy who works all day
so there's a reality distortion field, if there wasnt one, who would believe the mountais would move in the first place? get over it, it helps them
nokia is more powerful, without doubt, but it has had to compete, and that weakens power, where apple basically competes with microsoft, and barely at that, it just does its thing, and it gets power, just like that, cause its a legend
nokia is just nokia, it's about as well known as motorola, even though it pwns moto at phones
k rant over
just felt that people were ganging up a little unfairly... ah well

The Following User Says Thank You to asqwasqw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the funny thing about the iphone and the touch is that it was jobs that killed of the newton in the first place. hell, palm got started by a ex-apple employee because jobs didnt see the value of the concept...

for better or worse the current apple is in many ways a upscaled steve jobs. the ipod even had its equalizer tuned to his preferences i think...

good or bad, hell if i know. but i think its one of the few tech companies today thats so controlled by one person.

but i honestly would want to see what kind of device the iphone had been if it was woz and not jobs that had control. something tells me it may be quite a different beast...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by stjuste View Post
We really shouldn't be comparing these two devices.
Give that man a prize!!!

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Give that man a prize!!!
Haha..thank you thank you...hold your applauses please