Active Topics

I haven't understood why there simply can't be a list of cities in a dropdown list and manual lat/long entry in addition. Also the first assumption for the device could be that probably I'm somewhat close to the previous location. If I'm not, then I would be more than happy to assist...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
That is a good point. OMweather allows one to select a Country and City using a database (of ~200kB package). If you got those details, the location is accurate enough within a 300 km radius.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bay area, CA // Kampala, Uganda
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Because while you can get the timezone, and maybe the country, this is often not enough. One could say, get it from GPS like OMweather does, but...
Hehe. That would certainly improve the time it takes the gps to get a fix.

Well that would be a pretty easy app to code (nick the code from OMWeather, and all you need to do is transcribe the lat/lon into a db of some kind), why not give it a go?

So, did someone already figure out (sorry, don't want to browse the whole topic through) where the lat/long shall be stored if bypassing the AGPS-UI, and if the AGPS has some more sophisticated features (db?) that would get corrupted.

I believe there can be found some kind of database containing city names and lat/long info. If not, then I propose a collective effort, or someone create a simple google maps app to help getting the needed data In practise I would survive with a quite small number of cities, since I don't travel that much...

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by wilson View Post
So, did someone already figure out (sorry, don't want to browse the whole topic through) where the lat/long shall be stored if bypassing the AGPS-UI, and if the AGPS has some more sophisticated features (db?) that would get corrupted.

I believe there can be found some kind of database containing city names and lat/long info. If not, then I propose a collective effort, or someone create a simple google maps app to help getting the needed data In practise I would survive with a quite small number of cities, since I don't travel that much...
Google Earth give you lat/lon. Right click the map and select Properties.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

No, it's pretty easy, just a gconf entry. See here: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3833

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
Google Earth give you lat/lon. Right click the map and select Properties.
I know, but I already thought of a small utility that would e.g. record for each simple mouse click both the lat/long and city into suitable format like XML that could then be used be in a A-GPS like small utility. Then just clicking the map would result one day as a quite comprehensive db

It could also send the info into a database that anyone could copy to the IT. Then the next question would be why need clicking why not just let google reverse geocode a set of lat/long in an area and tell the names of the cities...

And now that I'm typing this I started to wonder why not just have list of cities, let google api tell the lat/long and then we have it

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
No, it's pretty easy, just a gconf entry. See here: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3833
Now I wonder why someone started with the map approach in agps-ui. Why not with a list of cities that would have given a better accuracy.

Anyhow I don't use the GPS everyday, but two days ago with the new apg-ui installed I think I got the fix in max 10s, that is in my opinion fast enough.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
+1 for a search box where you type your location.

Example: 1234 Fake Street, City, State, Country

or just

City, State, Country

SO EASY

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Tags
a-gps, gps