Posts: 78 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Toronto
Hello Nokia,

my N800 never seemed to work properly, websites hardly displayed correctly videos in website never displayed properly, email never downloaded external email properly...

The standard software never lived up to it's original promise and I am displeased to buy a piece of equipment that is not suitable for retail.

All I wanted was a web browser out of the box that allowed me to access the internet, who cares about having a good screen if you can't even watch videos on it properly.

My n-gage was a piece of crap, the n800 is a piece of crap, and so is the iphone/itouch..

You are all out of touch, you think you know what people want, but it seems that all you know is what techie people want, which make up a good 20% of the market, but well apple does think about 50% of the market, which isn't that much better.

Stop releasing devices every few months and release something that works properly out of the box... pay for proper quality assurance teams.

Quite frankly, you are supposedly not thinking about your pockets, but all I can see is your hands in my pocket and a barebone device that came with limited abilities... But I guess the $500 or more Canadian I payed for my device, isn't such a bad price to learn the lesson to never trust Nokia ever again... considering I may have spent much more.

Goodbye and good riddance, and no need to response Nokia fanboys, because if I bought the device for what developers pay what $100 pounds or whatever, I would think it was worth it to... but just remember, people who buys these devices aren't always programmers and developers and should not have to spend hours to days setting a device that costs that price...

Anyhow I have done enough for now but I could be saying much more...

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
Hello Nokia,

My N800 worked properly from day one. Browsing and email have always been perfect.

I'm no techie and I paid full price and I am very happy.

I am buying a Nokia phone next.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Originally Posted by testerj View Post
Hello Nokia,

my N800 never seemed to work properly, websites hardly displayed correctly videos in website never displayed properly,
Videos in websites are no standard part of the WWW - at any rate not in any common incarnation. And the windows-centric proprietary solutions regarding embedded video do a less than perfect job on any other platform.

Embedded video was non-existent to broken on the 770, but on the N800 it is not worse any more than you'd expect on any Linux computer of that screen size and computing power - FWIW it is actually better than on any other non-Intel Linux computer. Blame it on the DRM lobby and corporate interests...

email never downloaded external email properly...
It lives up to its expectations for users with a single POP account - which probably make up 95% of the non-geek market. Beyond that, it is a PITA. But claws-mail exists and is a very good mail client, and most users needing advanced mail clients will know how to install and use it.

Stop releasing devices every few months and release something that works properly out of the box... pay for proper quality assurance teams.
Heck, the whole Internet is about poor to no QA, and highly experimental coding. There is barely a single site with valid HTML on it.

The way most pages should be displayed is strictly speaking undefined as the pages are technically broken - and given that 15 years of standards advocacy haven't improved the average HTML quality, we can safely assume that the broken web is here to stay. Only a market share which implies that most site operators will test against the N800 would help in twisting the WWW towards being broken in a N800-friendly way. The switch to Minimo as the coming N800/N810 browser engine will help quite a bit, but there still enough sites which are broken in Mozilla-incompatible ways.

Sevo

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Somewhere, most of the time.
Hello Nokia,

I too want to rant and rave about the N800 & N810.

When I recieved my first N800, in april, I just couldn't believe it I put the battery in turned it on and in less than 5 minutes I was browsing the internet over wifi. Good Grief 5 minutes to get this thing working that is way too long. Not too mention it took me almost 5 minutes to connect my N800 to my Nokia N75 to browse the internet and you know what else I have to charge my battery up about once a week in order to keep this thing working.

And another thing I bought the Navicore GPS and I installed the software and now my N800 is talking to me tellling me where I need to turn and giving me directions in order to get get where I need to go. I was Sooo upset that I just had to buy another Nokia N800 because the first one worked so well that my wife wanted on also. If Nokia keeps on making this stuff I'm going to go broke buying thier stuff.

Originally Posted by dormant View Post
Hello Nokia,

My N800 worked properly from day one. Browsing and email have always been perfect. I'm no techie and I paid full price and I am very happy.
Well, I paid the lower post-N810 price, but I'm very happy as well. Finally, something to replace my Zaurus SL5500! Debian in my pocket! Woot!

Jeff

Originally Posted by dormant View Post
Hello Nokia,

My N800 worked properly from day one. Browsing and email have always been perfect.

I'm no techie and I paid full price and I am very happy.

I am buying a Nokia phone next.
I'm pretty happy with mine as well. Happy enough that it's convinced to by a Nokia brand cell phone (hopefully the N95) when I can also.

The N800 hardware is solid.

R.
==

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Hello testerj,

Sell your N800, go back to World of Warcraft and myspace, and STFU.

kthxbai!

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
You are all out of touch, you think you know what people want, but it seems that all you know is what techie people want, which make up a good 20% of the market, but well apple does think about 50% of the market, which isn't that much better.
You know, you're right.
And, as a techno-elitist, I don't particularly want what most of the market wants. Heck, most of the market cheerfully buys Windows XP boxes with 256 megs of RAM, sometimes even 128! Most of the market buys Vista with 1 Gig of RAM.
Yes, you're right: some web pages render poorly; and you're also right, that as the last stop on the train, the hardware/OS makers have to fix everyone else's problems. I mean, I agree with you.
That still doesn't piss my techie ***** off that websites of all colors continue to specify their dimensions in pixels instead of relative screen measurements. I mean, come on guys! It ain't that hard to set up a bleedin' CSS! Heck, I've done it, and the last time I checked, my bank listed my profession as Philosopher. Give me a break! Even if "web designer" denominates the lumpenproletariat of the information revolution, you could at least get this right! (Oh yeah, tell the King Prof. I said hi)[/rant]
So yes, you're right: that is a problem: the web doesn't render quite like it does on a desktop. And if they have heavy flash-lifting on the page, problems will ensue.
So, yeah, these problems annoy me, too. But, uh, you ever try looking at a web page on a mobile phone? (Tu quoque at work) At least this darn thing works, and works pretty well for my purposes.
As for the rest, yes, the device promises much, but nothing quite works ideally. Nokia doesn't market this device that heavily. How did you find out about it? I carefully evaluated the review sites, and even the operational forums before buying mine. So I knew full well that, at least when I bought it, I'd need to jump through some extra hoops to view youtube, and that the video thingy was a joke. So you're right, the n800 isn't ready for prime time, but it's not being marketed that way either.
So, thank you for trolling the boards. It was entertaining, and you no doubt elicited a bunch of equally silly fanboi reactions.
Still, I'd be happy to relieve you of your n800 burden for a couple hundred bucks.

My 770 internet tablet and is barely adequate for viewing today's news, weather, and sports websites and watching video. The N800 doesn't appear to be much better (can't find one in stores to evaluate in the US and I presume the N810 will be just as elusive). I'm an end user looking for a pocket internet/PMP device that works out of the box, Linux muddling is not one of my interests. I'll be checking out the new HP iPaq 210 Pocket PC when it's available in stores.

624MHz processor
4" VGA transflective LCD
Wi-Fi
BT 2.0
USB
CF and SD slot
Windows Mobile 6
MSRP $450

Ron G

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I wouldn't judge the N800 by the 770, as some appear to be doing. I paid $400 for my N800 and it was worth it. I also had a working Internet connection a very short time after taking my N800 out of the box last January.

As to releasing imperfect software: We have a choice. We can complain that Nokia doesn't let us beta test their products or we can complain that Nokia does let us beta test their products. I like beta testing.