Notices

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2017 @ Germany
Hello guys,

I am currently working on a sport tracker app for SFOS. How can I send data to the pebble from my SFOS app?
I know that Rockpool has a Pebblekit JS interface, but how do I use this from within an SOFS app?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdrescher For This Useful Post:
Hi,

The Pebble JS stuff is supposed to be sandboxed, so there's very little communication possible between that and other apps possible right now. You can do anything that the Rockpool application can do, so launching apps and sending them config is possible. Not much else.

I'm open to suggestions or contributions though, either for a DBus access API in JS (which the Pebble people were dead against) or something, or for some extension to the DBus interface to allow phone apps to access watch output. I'd prefer the JS DBus API myself though, as I think it fits the watch app lifecycle model better.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abranson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Hey, just want to throw in a quick question. I really haven't followed with any news about pebble after the aqcuisition and thus haven't updated either of my watches in a really, really long time. Ihave both the classic and time steel. Both have been working nicely with my Jolla and old N9.

Should they be now updated before everything goes totally black, or is it already?, or should I just keep going with what I have?

I am quite pleased with both clocks receiwing notifications and being able to navigate music and calls. Of course weather etc. would be nice to keep. Now that I think of it, I haven't used the classic with N9 for quite some time now, hope it still works.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abranson View Post
Hi,
I'm open to suggestions or contributions though, either for a DBus access API in JS (which the Pebble people were dead against) or something, or for some extension to the DBus interface to allow phone apps to access watch output. I'd prefer the JS DBus API myself though, as I think it fits the watch app lifecycle model better.
Thanks @abranson, very interesting. A DBus interface would be fine for me although I never used it before.
Ideally I would design a watch app and would then be able to send data to it from SFOS app.
Unfortunately I am not able to help you with this, I am more the QML/Javascript guy. But I will take a look at your code on github. If you have any suggestion how to implement this, please feel free to tell.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdrescher For This Useful Post:
What sort of data would you need to send? Just notifications, or timeline pins, or sending data to a watch app?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abranson For This Useful Post:
Any thoughts to support Xiaomi Mi Band as well? This is done on android via gadgetbridge and for some functionality it would be fine to have it on SailFish too...

https://github.com/Freeyourgadget/Gadgetbridge

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Porting stuff from gadgetbridge would be great - last time I looked they'd reverse engineered Pebble's BTLE protocol for the Pebble 2. But it's all Java so would be a lot of work...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abranson For This Useful Post:
What sort of data would you need to send? Just notifications, or timeline pins, or sending data to a watch app?
The app would constantly send data like heart rate, speed or distance to the watch.
I have seen that there is already a default sport app on the watch which is called Sports API. That would be sufficient for my app.https://developer.pebble.com/guides/...he-sports-api/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdrescher For This Useful Post:
That's a shock - never seen that before! Looks like there are two hidden apps on the watch that only appear when you launch them. Might try to do that...

As for sending data to them, that would require a new interface in Rockpool. Afaik there's no other way to send data like that to the watch without creating your own watch app. You'd include a javascript phone-side portion of the app, which could then retrieve data. Otherwise it's all timeline pins.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abranson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
That's a shock - never seen that before! Looks like there are two hidden apps on the watch that only appear when you launch them. Might try to do that...
Careful though, I experimented with the built in health app (on Android via gadgetbridge) and found that all the extra traffic to and from the watch drained the battery really quickly (about 1 day from fully charged, vs the normal battery life of ~7 days).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:

Tags
pebble, smartwatch