Is installing xterm and becomeroot packages all you need to gain root previleges on your 770? (Having invoked $ sudo gainroot)

Are there any dangers in doing so, aside from the ones you can cause yourself during the ensuing power trip rampage? I've read some weary statements about "bricking the device" and something about the possible connection of root-gaining to the infamous WSOD. I have only just started playing with the more advanced capabilities of my new Nokia, so please forgive me any major faux pas I might have made.

Last edited by oprion; 2007-07-20 at 21:04.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by oprion View Post
Is installing xterm and becomeroot packages all you need to gain root previleges on your 770? (Having invoked $ sudo gainroot)

Are there any dangers in doing so, aside from the ones you can cause yourself during the ensuing power trip rampage? I've read some weary statements about "bricking the device" and something about the possible connection of root-gaining to the infamous WSOD. I have only just started playing with the more advanced capabilities of my new Nokia, so please forgive me any major faux pas might have made.
Being root on itself will not brick your device. It's what the root-ified user does with that awesome power of annihilation that causes problems.

Like opening system files and changing random bytes... Don't laugh! some people consider this fun. Whatever happened to good, wholesome bear-bating, I ask you...

Aaanywaayy... I've rooted myself on any number of occasions, on both my 770 and N800 and I have yet to encounter a WSOD. Then again, I am almost anally careful about being root, only using it when absolutely necessary (like when I couldn't be bothered with having to push two buttons to put my N800 to sleep), and un-rooting myself immediately when the job was done.

That, and never going online when root.

Never...

(Okay, the "almost" in "almost anally" was obviously superfluous, but you get the gist)

Thanks, now I am determined to become root and change a barrel-full of bytes!
Incidentally, how does one unroot oneself? And whats the danger of going online as a root?

Last edited by oprion; 2007-07-20 at 18:47.

Code:
$ sudo becomeroot
# (modify random bytes)
# exit
$
No danger in going online with a root shell open, unless you run "browser" or something from a root terminal. This would cause the browser to run as root. Of course, you should only work as root when you need to. Personally, I don't believe there is anything you can do as root that cannot be fixed with a reflash. Well, maybe if you TRIED to damage hardware or modify the bootloader or something...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
You only become root in xterm - to return to the normal user, just type "exit".

As a general security rule (which isn't specific to Internet Tablets) it's best not to run applications as root unless the applications really need that level of permission and access.

Going online with, for example, the browser while you have a root session open in xterm isn't a problem though.

Also, WSOD is typically induced by rebooting and not enabling root via R&D mode (apparently it's caused by a race condition during hardware initialisation that leads to an LCD driver chip failing). Since enabling R&D mode requires a reboot, sometimes a WSOD has coincidentally occured at the same time but they are not related events.

And you'd have to try pretty damned hard to brick the 770 using root. If you stuff up your device just reflash it.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-07-20 at 19:12.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by sdrman View Post
Code:
$ sudo becomeroot
# (modify random bytes)
# exit
$
No danger in going online with a root shell open, unless you run "browser" or something from a root terminal. This would cause the browser to run as root.
Yah. Remember: "Anally"?

I have no idea what ports are opened on a N-IT if you open a root shell. The fact that I barely know enough to formulate the previous sentence is sufficient reason for me not to change my cramped habits.

Of course, you should only work as root when you need to. Personally, I don't believe there is anything you can do as root that cannot be fixed with a reflash. Well, maybe if you TRIED to damage hardware or modify the bootloader or something...
If I want to damage my hardware, I can always install the latest firmware...