Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
second pre order starts on 19 th , Countdown on Jolla.com website

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Leuven/Belgium
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
indeed it does! Would the price be the same you think? ~ 400 eur?

Originally Posted by cvp View Post
...but only for Finland!

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Looking forward to test the hardware compatibility with the upcoming

Jitsi.org Android version (Scheduled for Q3 2013)

ZRTP video call on my Jolla Sailfish device would that be a lot to expect in 2013-14?

Many were expecting Jolla to go with OpenMobile inc’s. Android Compatibility Layer (ACL), but speaking to Jolla’s CEO Tomi Pienimäki yesterday, he told me that “Jollia is not using” the ACL. “Jolla is developing its [own] Android application compatibility based on open source Android Projects and Dalvik runtime together with a 3rd party technology provider.”
Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspen...e-play/#47408e

The Following User Says Thank You to torcida For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Just buy Android device. Announcing that you are mooching off another platform, and that is a cause for celebration??

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Just buy Android device. Announcing that you are mooching off another platform, and that is a cause for celebration??
Exactly. Androids are cheap as soap so just get yourself one. There's no need for an android compability layer, and the disadvantages of having it have been clearly presented, IMHO.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Exactly. Androids are cheap as soap so just get yourself one. There's no need for an android compability layer, and the disadvantages of having it have been clearly presented, IMHO.
Hmm. That's exactly what I thought in 1999 about adding cameras to phones. I thought, WTF is the point? There are much more important things to integrate with phones - like PDAs, for example. I had to wait for another 5 years for my dream to come true. By that time, camera phones were the mainstream.

I think a compatibility layer for [a random alien OS] is a good idea.
  • For the producer - increased chance of survival in against mainstream competition.
  • For the buyer - you can continue using your familiar "ecosystem" (sorry about the use of that profaned word), hence less resistance to upgrade, hence... see For the producer.

Think for a moment like a Jolla executive. Your company is a small start-up. You do not dominate the market. You can't afford to pi$$ against the wind. What do you do? What is easier, to port all 500 fart Android apps, OR make sure they work on your device without porting?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
The main reason some users like me need Android compatibility is because I want to carry one phone, but still be able to access work email for example. Unfortunately the work email app only runs on Android and iOS.

Otherwise I'm not to fussed about other apps.

What I am really interested in is the hardware compatibility - I am not a fan of the Jolla phone so if this OS gets up and running on some Android devices that would be great.

The Following User Says Thank You to inamak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Think for a moment like a Jolla executive. Your company is a small start-up. You do not dominate the market. You can't afford to pi$$ against the wind. What do you do? What is easier, to port all 500 fart Android apps, OR make sure they work on your device without porting?
+1 exactly!

Tags
jolla