Friendica kind of integrates, but I hear people having problems with it when integrating with Diaspora. I personally use Diaspora, but it would be good if all these networks could come up with unified protocol.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Bremen, Germany
Can anyone rembember the Nokia Mobile Webserver for symbian? http://research.nokia.com/page/231 This was pretty ahead of its time. It would be nice if you could run your own social network node with your data on your device. Sure, you don't have high availability, but that is a small price to pay. You could do such cool things, like bumping phones together and exchanging public keys with each other for encryption, so only your friends have access to your social network node.

Last edited by max_power; 2013-06-13 at 17:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to max_power For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
If you've got a Diaspora membership, congratulations.

I visited their website & applied for a membership as directed YEARS ago, nothing happened, not even an acknowledgment via email.

A year or so later, I visited their unchanged website & applied again, still nothing.

I seriously disbelieve there's anything there, as much as I would appreciate a less-evil alternative to Facebook & Google.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by max_power View Post
It would be nice if you could run your own social network node ...so only your friends have access to your social network node.
This also calls to mind the Nokia Instant Communities where only WiFi was needed to create localized social networks. Something like that would be great with a customized "Other Half" at an event or a concert. It could greatly help communicate when the cellular access could be down.I see possibilities for this within businesses and their private internal communication at various locations. (And no way for NSA and Governments to snoop this information from a remote location easily).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
If you've got a Diaspora membership, congratulations.

I visited their website & applied for a membership as directed YEARS ago, nothing happened, not even an acknowledgment via email.

A year or so later, I visited their unchanged website & applied again, still nothing.

I seriously disbelieve there's anything there, as much as I would appreciate a less-evil alternative to Facebook & Google.
You didn't get the concept of Diaspora right - it's decentralized and there are many pods (same like there are many XMPP servers or many e-mail servers and etc.). And they all can communicate with each other. There are many pods with open registration (and always were). There is completely no point to wait for anything, just find a pod and register:

https://diasp.eu/stats.html
https://diapod.net/active
http://podupti.me

If you want you can even run your own pod (Diaspora is free software): https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora...llation-Guides

What you encountered is probably that the largest pod (https://joindiaspora.com) which is run by the team which started the project was closed for registration originally. Not only it's open now, you didn't really have to use it, as I said, there were always many other open pods.

There is a lot going on there, so give it a try.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-06-13 at 23:02.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Friendica kind of integrates, but I hear people having problems with it when integrating with Diaspora. I personally use Diaspora, but it would be good if all these networks could come up with unified protocol.
Definitely.
I find Diaspora a bit of a drag to use, it's very lacking in features and development is not really happening.
Friendica is much closer to feature-completeness (but still far from it).

The Following User Says Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
+1 for using own page, and "social nonsense" as a *additional* way of communicating. The thing you can't get any meaningful info from their website, is keeping me away from being interested in up-to-date Jolla's info, since they've started.

Heck, TMO gives me more knowledge about Jolla, than Jolla website.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
+1 for using own page, and "social nonsense" as a *additional* way of communicating. The thing you can't get any meaningful info from their website, is keeping me away from being interested in up-to-date Jolla's info, since they've started.

Heck, TMO gives me more knowledge about Jolla, than Jolla website.

/Estel
Yes but info comming to TMO via exact that media you call "social nonsense"

Even if I agree social media is overhyped its a fact and many people use it and thats why they must use those marketing channels. I say again who would know about Jolla if they did not use those channels? Seriously there is now other ways this days.

I don't agree. Everyone says multiplayer is a "must" nowadays, in gaming world, yet guys from CD-Projekt RED rock the show with The Witcher 3, ruling even such "commercialized" events as E3 - all of that, while saying "The Witcher doesn't have place for multiplayer".

If Jolla is making different things that gray mass around us, they could also diff themselves from gray-mass ways of communication. Not to mention how counter-effective current way is, if many people need to get info about Jolla products from *maemo*.org.

The way you're advocating, is what pathetic marketing people from facebook/twitter/whatever trained you to do, without you even realizing. Same sh|t was happening with microsoft vs linux, just few years back ("there is no other way as aiming for windows", and such nonsense - now, it doesn't even hold its ground in gaming industry, most glued to microsh|t, let alone other branches of software).

/Estel

//Edit

Even putting all those "Jolla should be different" things - from pure practical point of view, company that announce it's products via 3rd party social networking things, instead of having own, well-organized site, doesn't look very serious/professional.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-06-16 at 04:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
I and many people just use tmo for jolla information
in fact the only forum thats hyper active on jolla as a centralized source