Notices

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I am pretty unimpressed with the N900's RSS reader. I preferred to browse my feeds on my Symbian phone because it had such a simple but useful reader with a finger friendly interface that used the screen well and had good controls.

The included RSS reader requires the stylus if you have big hands. Using the buttons is not a suitable either. Is there any other RSS reader apps I could help in testing? Or is there a way to improve this one?

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
I've got a total different issue with the RSS reader.

I receive feeds on my E90 perfectly fine, however i get nothing on my N900 for one perticular feed.

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Hardenberg
Another issue relating to RSS feeds: While in the standard browser, pressing the big + I don't get an option to store the rss feed. In a review lately I saw this additional possibility to my N900 software. Is this a bug or can I adjust this somewhere?

It must be that the page's feed isn't a compatible format. It must be Atom or RSS. If the site doesn't have an OPML file or one of these formats, it probably won't work. Try subscribing to the Maemo feed for testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
It must be that the page's feed isn't a compatible format. It must be Atom or RSS. If the site doesn't have an OPML file or one of these formats, it probably won't work. Try subscribing to the Maemo feed for testing.
Chris,

the maemo feeds work fine.

How can i find out if the site has an OPML file?

whats even more strange is i tried to go to the website from the N900 and it doesn't load in the browser.

i complete a google search, when the search returns i select the first result (which is the page i want to go to), but after a little while trying to open the page nothing happens.

I am also underwhelmed by the built-in reader, mainly for having no offline mode.

I think one potential port possibility for the N900 is an open source iphone offline reader that interfaces with google reader, called GRIS.

http://code.google.com/p/gris/

It appears to be an Objective-C GUI on top of Python 2.5 code. I don't know what the effort is to port, but it'll be the first thing I look to learn as my time frees up, assuming nobody else gets there and does a bang up job first.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by rgoble4 View Post
I am also underwhelmed by the built-in reader, mainly for having no offline mode.
Errm... there is an option for every post to save it for offline reading, rendered at the end of every post.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
kalim13, I'm shocked you can't view this site, since I'm on it constantly from the N900. I've found very few sites that won't render properly or usefully on the N900. What URL are you trying to browse?

Are you guys all using the Built in RSS Reader? I think the GUI is terrible it's way to cramped :-(

Also, it always refreshes all post regardless of if I've read them or not.

I would really like a way to have a sync with my google Reader:-(

My Blog

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stobbsc For This Useful Post:
I'd like something similar to the S60 5th RSS reader. This N900 reader is useless on the go. I'm so far behind on research, I've gone back to my desktop for RSS reading to catch up until someone makes a real finger touch RSS reader. I don't want any Google reader either. I read my stuff offline, and a real RSS reader should just sync and work offline without issue, like the S60 version. Hope this one gets an update.

Tags
maemo 5, rss reader