Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm already holding the tablet with my left hand, since that's where the directional and other buttons are located, and my forefinger lays across the top. If there were a shift-like function button along the top the way we already have +, - and maximize buttons that could be pressed while tapping to get right-clicks, that would seem convenient. Maybe the already existing trio of keys up there could be used that way if you tap WHILE you're pressing one of them (not tappnig lets them behave as normal)?

The other thing that I keep wishing for is a scroll wheel. If there were an Intellimouse style scroll wheel on that vast and unused right side of the screen--that would be VERY convenient for those times when I'm reading down a web page, RSS feeds or eBooks (where I'd probably not have the stylus out anyway).
Not a scroll wheel for me; either a 1-d capacitive touch sensor (think touchpad, but 1d; or think iPod touch wheel, but unwound) or a group of buttons; say, wouldn't 4 buttons in a diamond over there be pretty dandy, either as alternate cursor keys (in a web browser, the d-pad could select links, and the 4-keys could scroll), or as auxiliary function buttons to perform... auxiliary functions, like jump, fire, etc.; wouldn't that be innovative?

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Which brings up another thought. Why isn't there a pressure calibration in the touchscreen calibration tool? That would solve that problem too.. so they can just pump out the devices instruct users (upon first boot) to use the stylus to touch these points to calibrate the touch screen... then, when done, also press a couple of boxes in the middle of the screen to calibrate the pressure for finger use?
Yeah, I could go for a pressure calibration feature too. Although I'm not quite sure how that'd work honestly.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Not a scroll wheel for me; either a 1-d capacitive touch sensor (think touchpad, but 1d; or think iPod touch wheel, but unwound) or a group of buttons; say, wouldn't 4 buttons in a diamond over there be pretty dandy, either as alternate cursor keys (in a web browser, the d-pad could select links, and the 4-keys could scroll), or as auxiliary function buttons to perform... auxiliary functions, like jump, fire, etc.; wouldn't that be innovative?
Oooh.. that's a thought.. an iPod style touch scroll sensor on the right side or something. Just anything but having to block the screen with my big stoopid human finger or having to aim with the stylus and repeatedly wering out the right side of the my screen protector just to scroll things. Plus--less wear and tear than a scroll WHEEL. I can dig that.

Even better still is your suggestion of a 4-way diamond. I mean.. how much you wanna bet Firefox on the Pandora will make use of those joypads for that.. and it will be a WHOLE lot better than constantly touching the screen and a whole lot more ergonomic, given you just hold the dive and use your thumbs on either side the whole time.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Long clicks, schmong clicks... I'm just surprised that no one's interested in two clicks. (I've seen it in movies anyway.)

-T.

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
two clicks is about 1.24 miles.

and... um... schmong clicks? You're not getting into that silly game, now too?

(just using 'em up)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I swear you look like Quentin Tarantino in that avatar pic.

That alone should cost you points.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Maybe he IS Quentin Tarantino - they have at least a first letter common

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Then I want my money back for Grindhouse.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
No, i don't mean that GTK+ interfaces are unusable, however they have some limitations that make them quite hard to get how you want them. Styling widgets for one. Transparency is another.
Neither styling widgets nor adding transparency will help you getting an existing desktop application to the tablet. It should be done with as little changes as possible, that's the whole point.

Also, neither styling widgets nor adding transparency will make for a better user experience (in general; I admit there are exceptions). Consistency is one of the most important points in user interfaces, and not using stock widgets but styling your own instead brings inconsistency. (When I say "consistency", I mean consistency not only within an application, but throughout the whole platform and, even more, across platforms. The user knows certain concepts from the desktop, and its a good thing to try to reproduce these in phones, tablets, PDAs or any other computer-like devices. Nobody wants to learn how to operate a new device from scratch.)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Then I want my money back for Grindhouse.
Grindhouse was fantastic!

You aren't a fan of the coked-out dialog are you? See, for me, that's the best part.

Tags
stuff nokia should read, user interface, whining