Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
I would love to have those lights off, not because I "want to be creepy" but because I end up taking pictures/videos through windows a lot, and that light DOES show up, and it is quite annoying. Furthermore, for all the things that I do to conserve battery life, it is simply one more way to be more sparing of battery usage.

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 214 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cape town
Originally Posted by andyph666 View Post
Any step by step instructions on commenting out the file? Or where the exact location of the file is?
You'd need to compile and flash a custom kernel. It shouldn't take me long, maybe I'll get around to it in a few hours.

The Following User Says Thank You to cb22 For This Useful Post:
Probably only replace one module, not flash a new kernel.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 82 | Thanked: 214 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cape town
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Probably only replace one module, not flash a new kernel.
Yeah, correct. Didn't see that adp1653 was loaded as a module.

The Following User Says Thank You to cb22 For This Useful Post:
"v4l2-ctl -c indicator_intensity=0" works. If someone needs v4l2-ctl binary, take a look at that topic: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=501350

However, it's very unpractical. There is no way to execute this command without camera going into standby and therefore stopping recording. And keep in mind that command has to be executed AFTER the start of the recording.

So I've made a workaround. I've created a shell script with v4l2-ctl entry and put "sleep 7" line in front of it. This delays execution by a few seconds (yeah, it should be 7 seconds, but it's not, however it is enough). So I execute this script, switch to camera and start recording. Then I wait a second or two as script executes v4l2-ctl command as well. This disables red light.

My idea how could this be simplified is integrating command into Flashlight application or making similar application which would control the red light. Because power key menu is the only menu accessible while recording, it has to be there.

EDIT: I added it as a feature request in Flashlight's garage page.

Last edited by rooted; 2010-02-07 at 18:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rooted For This Useful Post:
Having to disable it by hand would work, but get annoying quick. How about something like the headphone daemon? It'd sit in the background waiting for the activation of the red LED then automatically disable it. It's just another bandage, but at least it doesn't require you to activate it manually.

Edit: Here's a video I shot awhile ago with the n900. Demonstrating, among other things, the annoying red light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilq12QLxYZU

Last edited by Renesis; 2010-02-25 at 06:01.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Bump.

Need this implemented if possible. The light is a huge nuisance.

Just put your finger over it if it's reflecting on glass or spoiling your dark video..

Last edited by cjard; 2010-02-25 at 12:20.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
We're not from UK, we're from US and we like to film people secretly without showing off your toys with unnessary red light and shutter noises on as if to beg them to give you some unnecessary attention.
So I guess you don't mind being filmed secretly either?

...Im from the UK and would also like this feature please

- I have quite a few cameras, and think that pictures from events and parties I attend, and pics of friends having a laugh always look 100% better when the people involved are acting natural, and not 'posing'. I have a similar red light on my better camera, and It causes anoyance.. the only way to turn off is to manual focus, but then i cant snap the shot quick enough, and miss the 'moment'.