Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
i think the point someone made earlier (cba to go back and quote) that it was most likely left out due to time constraints. i would prefer it as is and released now then delayed for a month or 2 longer. i would say they prioritised what people use the most as to what gets implemented and tested first. and i know from all the people i know that video calling is very very low down on their usage on their phone.

hell i could be wrong and they could have decided to flip the bird at everyone.

Ask yourself this. will arguing for 100posts over skype on the n9 give it video calling now? if it's yes then keep it up. if not then why bother?
and out of those who have the n9 would you send it back after all the posts on how crap the specs are compared to the phones out on the market, slai would you trade it for the sgs2 you sold? if there's anyone who's not going to get it why are you on this thread? don't be pissing on someones cornflakes after them spending money on a new device, let them enjoy it and feel good about it. let them complain about.
think this thread should be moved to off topic and renamed to "Round 5/5 FIGHT!!"

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Drekkie View Post
I have a far more simple view of it. It works on my high-end device I bought two years ago from Nokia. It no longer works on the newest high-end device put out by Nokia that is seen as the progression of the last device (but maybe it will in the future, to be fair). As a consumer, that is a step backwards for the same "tier" of device, if it never comes to the N9.
[...]
My only point is that we shouldn't lower expectations when there was a reasonable precedent set before in the N900, and there was definitely a subtext of "how could you guys expect the N9 to support skype video chat" cropping up for a second there. It's not like skype video chat is some archaic dev-only feature that no one uses.
Well, it worked on my high-end device at PR 1.1 (or was it even after?). I expect it to work at least on the new one on PR 1.1.

The abysmal trust we have in Nokia makes it impossible to assume, but possible to happen nonetheless.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
Ask yourself this. will arguing for 100posts over skype on the n9 give it video calling now?.....If there's anyone who's not going to get it why are you on this thread? don't be pissing on someones cornflakes after them spending money on a new device, let them enjoy it and feel good about it.

Oh now we're getting serious about the arguing in this thread? Skype video chat was the straw that broke the camel's back in here? (i'm just kidding around but lol )

I actually just got off the N9 fence with the skype thing to a solid "No", as I was just unsure before. First it was lack of gapless (which i have probably canvased the forum about more than I should, but that's my big feature) now this.

I agree with your sentiment about cornflakes tho. If it hadn't appeared that those who thought it was a reasonable feature were getting the "audacious traitor" treatment I wouldn't have said a word.

*injects over-dramatic verbiage for round 5*

I do hope that N9 owners enjoy their purchase. Hell, I'm jealous that I will likely never be one of them.

Last edited by Drekkie; 2011-10-10 at 18:05.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
Shouldn't you be more patient?
Ive been waiting since 21-June! there's nothing wrong with getting excited and seeing as i just paid a hell of a lot im anxious! as i don't trust the post! and i don't know where i would stand if it doesn't arrive!!

and i only work round the corner so not far

Last edited by Grazy; 2011-10-10 at 18:25.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
Something totally off topic, but i find it pretty amusing about the iP4S...
http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-4s-...of-1gb-report/

Last edited by scapegoat845; 2011-10-10 at 18:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to scapegoat845 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Can't disable Aegis. Do I need to jailbreak my n9

Still love the phone though

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
@gerbick
Which WP7 phone do you have? and what are your major personal drawbacks with it post Mango update. I ask since you've had much more experience with it than I have and I intend to get the HTC titan when it comes out.
I currently have the Dell Venue Pro, prior to that, I had the HTC HD7S. Biggest drawbacks from post-Mango? Hmm...

The lack of Skype, the lack of quite a few apps that I miss, the browser is finally worth a damn, but it's still second rate, the way it handles multi-tasking isn't up to par with the N900, it's on par with Android... and honestly? The battery life on these phones isn't stellar. It's not bad, but I've had better.

The one-hand operation of the UI though, works in its favor. The email client is actually good as well - just doesn't mark read items via IMAP as read on the server, I find that WAY annoying.

Is it perfect? No. But a few live tile apps are great for glimpsing what I have for mail, for Google Analytics for my site(s), a few decent games, and it's quick to go into the camera (something I find awkward still on Android)...

I actually "like" WP7, but I can see the gaping holes in what's not there.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by oweng View Post
Well I'm not a developper, and I have always been grateful for the assistance I have received here for my N900. I suspect that I am a little bit more geeky and tech aware than the average smart phone user (but not developpers). What appears to have happened here (TMO) since last year is that enthusiasm has been replaced by cynicism (myself included).

I know this attitude doesn't help but the concensus seems to be that if you can't beat them, join them. That is, be open minded, consider other options.

For example, I would not suggest an N900 to most of my less clued up friends, for them the bright and beautiful is more important than remoting a PC via VNC. I find smb mapped networked shares useful whereas they think itunes is a miracle.

May I ask you if you ever had tried out N9 or do you just reading rumors like people here? Why do you in a second post talk about N900 when I already had said N9 is NOT N900.

I actually hold N9 in my hand now and I doint get what is "geek" about it!? Infact Android is more a geekOS than N9.

it HAS issues but same goes for symbian and Android.

Some of the issues seen so far is:

texbox stupidness make it impossible to post messages on this forum using N9 But I am sure this will be fixed, hopefully in a few weeks if the rumors are right. Btw.. I dont think "regular users" use forums soo I guess thats why it hasn't been prioritized in first firmware.

Internal twitter client seems to not have possibility to click on http links (thats is more used frequetly by normal users and is bad ofcourse

Musicplayer is kinda stupid cause if you klick on the album image it start/stop play the song. IMHO it should instead show tracks on selected album. start/stop song is just wierd when you have the start/stoip buttons :-S

most other stuff is working without even LOOK in the manual. In other way around Symbian is so ****ing bloated no normal users can find where the stuff really are and you have sometime to go in subsubsubsubsubmenus before you find what you want.

So far N9 actually is the most userfriendly UI I have seen for long.

But NOT soo friendly for geeks :/ because of damn AEGIS crap.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
just had a thought.
anyone remember the jessies girl teaser video that was leaked? that was worked on earlier during the year, there was an article which i can't find that the production company talked about the making of it etc.
anyway. my point is. the only phone in that teaser is the n950.
It seams like the N9 was not planned for so soon a release and the n950 was the planned release with the n9 following up the next year. Then came the hiccup and what looks like the rush to have the n9 market ready. This would explain a few things to be honest.

again i could be completely wrong but thinking back at all the rumours it sorta fits the bill.

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Greece
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post

I actually hold N9 in my hand now and I doint get what is "geek" about it!? Infact Android is more a geekOS than N9.
I can only concur on that, as I'm currently toying with 3D wireframe renders of the ATLAS sensor module on the official LHC app on my android Hero. It also has real time streaming of particle collisions. After that, any argument about how harmattan is geekier than android is a bit invalid

Frankly, this whole aegis shenanigan could be a dealbreaker for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to giorgosmit For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????