I am trying to install Ruby on the n800, but I am in dependency-hell. I added the repo listed on the 2006Wip, but the package is requiring libgdbm and libreadline4. Libreadline5 is installed, but Ruby still requires v4. Does anyone know where I can get these libs?

~Nate

So nobody knows where I can find libgdbm then?

whoa, you can actually program ruby on the n800....now that is cool.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Here is the port for Ruby to run in the N800.

http://www.erratasec.com/ruby_1.8.4_armel.deb

now this would be crazy....wouold it be possible to run mysql, rails, and webbrick?

Irb works, but I haven't been able to get gems installed. I keep getting an out of memory error. Strange because the internal memory is less than half full and I have the entire mini SD card (included in package) for swap. So long story short, no gems (rails, nitro, etc.).

You could conceivably use SQLite and nginx (sp?) to serve rails apps... if gems worked.

~Nate

FYI, there is a Google SoC project to build Ruby bindings for Maemo. Then Pythonistas won't be the only ones writing apps for Maemo. :^)

Last edited by Nathan Turnage; 2007-06-07 at 14:57.

You realize that you have now obligated yourself to the task of writing up a tutorial, don't you? Are you using nginx? Which version of SQLite? Seriously, you have to tell us how you got all this working together.

hi nathan.

thats not my account, im currently working on getting rails installed. i think the author of the flickr account said he is using webbrick.

ive gotten ruby, ruby gems, and sqlite installed. all you have to do is go to http://pierre.droids-corp.org/maemo/gems/ and click the links and they install. however, i am running into a problem installing rails. getting a mysterious segmentation fault on yaml.rb:133. been googleing around and it could be a user access problem, however, it seems i am still getting it.

i am posting my progress on my blog at railsgrunt.com

if you find out, please let me know. thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to bakerbaker For This Useful Post: