Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
Hello,

What do you think about Raon Vega (http://www.dynamism.com/vega/main.shtml) ? It's a small UMPC in the 770 format. It comes preloaded with Windows, but I suspect loading Linux on it wouldn't be too hard, especially when AMD gives out drivers for the AMD Geode processor that is used by the Vega,

Since it comes with lots of memory, HDD capacity, powered USB ports, out-VGA capability, and price tag is quite high, it clearly targets at notebook market instead of being just a Internet Tablet. But the form factor (minus the weight) clearly makes this an ultraportable, and a competitor to the 870.

So, what are your opinions on this ?

It looks like a nice device, but I think it is absurd that wifi and/or BT are not included. You have drastically reduced the usefullness of the device by not adding the 20$ wifi adapater. Now whenever I want to browse the web, I have to carry the wifi adapter and put a wart on the side of the device. I think given a cheap wifi/bt chip I would replace a laptop for $900. But without... It is a stripped down 770 that becaomes useless for a laptop or an mobile internet accessor.

BTW the processor support in Linux is not usually the issue. I bet you could get it to boot. The tough part is finding out if the GFX processor is support well enough.
Thanks
Brian

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Plus, regardless of the fact that you could install Linux on it, you'd still have pre-paid the Microsoft Tax, which is not an option for me.

When I referred to drivers, I meant chipset/video drivers; I think Geode is a system-on-a-chip solution, much like the processor the 770 is using. AMD provides Linux drivers for Geode.
The wifi dongle is included in the package, but I agree Vega looks awkward with the dongle plugged in. Maybe a future version will have BT/wifi inside. What really would do it for me is to have GSM/GPRS/3G support included, so it could be also used as phone with a BT headset.

The powered USB 2.0 host port is really nice to have. I think if the manufacturer would release a Linux version for 600$ (without MS tax) I wouldn't think twice before getting one.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
This product has been mentioned before. No integrated wireless in a handheld computer is a ridiculous design oversight. Can't even compare it to the 770.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Seems a fair bit bigger than the 770 ... I think the OQO is a closer match and not all that much more than the Vega now that they dropped the price.

Also, they went a bit button-happy on it. Maybe that is a function of how unsuitable the XP desktop interface is for embedded systems.

but what do you think about PepperPad 3 ? http://www.pepper.com/ ?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by ddalex
but what do you think about PepperPad 3 ? http://www.pepper.com/ ?
I'll buy one when they're on eBay.

Hi.

I bought the N770 because of the form factor. I could have bought a laptop computer for the same price, but no other device at 0.7", 8 oz, and less than $350 browses the web like the N770.

If the N770's browser was as handicapped as the PowerPC browsers, I never would have bought it.

My personal view is that I would not install Linux over Windows on the Raeon or any other UMPC. My reasoning is that although I bought the N770 partly because of its Debian-like OS, I didn't do so because I think Linux is superior to Windows (I don't), but I did so because the alternative OS's for portables were so badly supported (for example, PocketPC.)

If my N770 ran Windows, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

That said, after owning the N770, I wouldn't settle for anything without a slider keyboard, and the Raeon fails that. Out of all the available devices out there now, I think the newly re-priced OQO is the most desirable out of all of them.

In the age of the $400.00 laptop computer, the larger, bulkier and heavier UMPCs just seem irrelevant and overpriced.

Last edited by sonoronos; 2006-12-21 at 20:12.

Originally Posted by sonoronos
My personal view is that I would not install Linux over Windows on the Raeon or any other UMPC. My reasoning is that although I bought the N770 partly because of its Debian-like OS, I didn't do so because I think Linux is superior to Windows (I don't), but I did so because the alternative OS's for portables were so badly supported (for example, PocketPC.)

If my N770 ran Windows, I wouldn't have changed a thing.
If the 770 ran Windows, it wouldn't run. WinCE 4.1, maybe, but no full-blown XP.

Also, if the 770 ran Windows, it would have cost at least $100 more than it costs now.

And, if the 770 ran Windows, we wouldn't call it "running". "Crawling", yes...