I'm in the process of purchasing a new nokia n900

My first nokia n900, the usb stopped responding etc, it ended up coming completely out.

What can i do to stop from facing similar problems again ?

(Other than not using usb obv..)

Any help is very appreciated

Originally Posted by werebug View Post
I'm in the process of purchasing a new nokia n900

My first nokia n900, the usb stopped responding etc, it ended up coming completely out.

What can i do to stop from facing similar problems again ?

(Other than not using usb obv..)

Any help is very appreciated
i havent had any issues. just dont put pressure on the usb port... pull the cable out nicely and be calm?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
You can file down the bits on the micro usb plug that keeps it secure in the port to reduce the strain when removing the cable, I only filed mine partially so it is neither too tight nor too loose. And always be careful when removing the cable,

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Germany
You could use 2-component sag epoxy or superglue and additionally fix the usb port from the outside. There are small gaps between the connector and the body that can be filled. I did this when I feared that it got loose.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmrk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Never had any issues with mine either, be respectful of the port when inserting and pulling out cable connections.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
you can file the prong on your n900 charger and cable.

or.....you can get a spare USB charger/cable (be sure its universal and genuine) and use it/file those instead of your n900 default charger/cable.

in my case, i have my n86 charger filed down to charge and a blackberry data cable.

mostly, i have my 5800xm battery as a spare battery and an external wall charger so i'll just replace the battery and charge the spare on a different charger. its bulky to carry but convenient if you need your n900 working without plugging the charger on the usbport

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Last edited by gabby131; 2010-12-31 at 17:26.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The best way to avoid the usb problem is to mainly charge your battery with an external battery charger. This is better and more convenient for many reasons, and it reduces the amount you use the usb port by a huge amount.

The cost of doing this is typically way less than $20. You can find one of these chargers on eBay (a company I hate) or Amazon or just by Googling.

You also want a cheap extra battery or two. The $20 above counts the cost of a spare battery. Japod is the brand of one decent cheap battery.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Ames IA, USA
My usb connector finally poped out of my N900 after about 7 months of me having it. I have to charge it through an external batter charger now.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
my solution
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=20

i can even pull the cord to take n900 from the floor

The Following User Says Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
Posts: 94 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shoreham
I had no problem with mine until 2 weeks ago when it just fell out!!

No stress on USB, hadn't been knocked or pulled & it was only ever used for charging.

I would reccomend using the USB port as little as possible.

Charge the battery with an external charger & connect your device via winscp or ssh, this i what i will be doing when i get my back from Nokia!!!!