Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Holy Hanna,

The Transformer has been overclocked to a stable 1.6GHz!

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...me-to-1-6-ghz/

I wonder if you need oven mits to hold it?

The GPU speed seems not to have budged. I'd love to see the GeForce ULP overclocked...

I'd also love to see some performance comparisons between this an the first Intel Atom CPU!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
can somebody help me?i'm installing Nitdroid v12 and xterminal says I can't mount /home/and (can't find /home/and in /etc/fstab)

Originally Posted by ambinp View Post
can somebody help me?i'm installing Nitdroid v12 and xterminal says I can't mount /home/and (can't find /home/and in /etc/fstab)
I believe there is a Nitdroid thread somewhere around here, which would have individuals that would be much better suited to helping you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Tim Bray, in his increasingly simple blog, boldly states that tablets are meant to be held in portrait orientation:

Tall and Narrow
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/20.../Portrait-Mode

There's quite a lively debate on this.

What do you think is more natural? Portrait or landscape?

The reason I ask, is because I remember when Nokia was refusing portrait orientation on the N900. This annoyed a few folk at the time, but has important usability/design implications. Now, a tablet is larger than a phone, but it is interesting to consider.
Seems to be more of a question between:
Scrolling vs Page-flipping

Last edited by Kangal; 2011-05-28 at 05:13.

Holy Hanna,

The GPU speed seems not to have budged. I'd love to see the GeForce ULP overclocked...

I'd also love to see some performance comparisons between this an the first Intel Atom CPU!
According to my foresight from a year ago, Tegra2 exceeds Intel Atom (base N450) and I think it would narrowly lose to a dualcore 1.7GHz Atom (N570) when the Nvidia T20 is in 1.0GHz.
I'll leave it up to you decided how it rockets when overclocked.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=68882&page=4

Now the question is: Can it play Crysis?

edit:

I just realized a few things. Nvidia has codenamed the Tegra-SoC's Wayne, Logan, Stark is inline with Batman, Wolverine and Iron Man ... but I never knew what Kal-El meant.

Well I realized Kal-El is Superman, so the name-game is quite funny. And "x100 performance increase" over the T20 SoC is mind-boggling @_@ What's next "Nvidia Vegetto"?

But then I saw Nvidia's own benchmark which put Kal-El only 10% faster (CoreMark= 11,400/10,100) than Intel T7200. Now I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but the Intel Core i7-2657M is very power effecient and manages to surpass the T7200 Core 2 Duo by a 45% (3D06= 2500/1700) performance increase.

So Intel is actually in the lead, over ARM, for powerful and efficient cores @_@

http://trend-web.blogspot.com/2011/0...by-nvidia.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-C...r.37073.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-C...r.49737.0.html

Last edited by Kangal; 2011-05-28 at 05:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Holy Hanna,

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...me-to-1-6-ghz/

...And
Honeycomb 3.1 comes to the Eee Pad Transformer
http://hothardware.com/News/Android-...d-Transformer/t=1095269[/url]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
According to my foresight from a year ago, Tegra2 exceeds Intel Atom (base N450) and I think it would narrowly lose to a dualcore 1.7GHz Atom (N570) when the Nvidia T20 is in 1.0GHz.
I'll leave it up to you decided how it rockets when overclocked.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=68882&page=4

Now the question is: Can it play Crysis?
But we can't say that concretely yet without many congruent tests across both platforms. Precision benchmarking is quite difficult as there are many . I remember Nvidia touting MIPs performance of their SoCs, which isn't terribly meaningful.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
But then I saw Nvidia's own benchmark which put Kal-El only 10% faster (CoreMark= 11,400/10,100) than Intel T7200. Now I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but the Intel Core i7-2657M is very power effecient and manages to surpass the T7200 Core 2 Duo by a 45% (3D06= 2500/1700) performance increase.

So Intel is actually in the lead, over ARM, for powerful and efficient cores @_@
I think you're confusing efficiency with speed.

First off, the benchmark isn't the final gospel on performance, it just highlights performance under a few (if it's good) specific cases.

That aside: Considering that T30 will be pushing a power envelope of around 0.5W and the TDP of an i7 mobile is something like 17W (not sure on the average running consumption though -- this is only a peak), I think the "Power Efficiency" can be clearly argued in favour of the Tegra, even if it's slower -- in other words, the ratio of speed to consumption will be many times higher for the Tegra, which is common for ARM which has a (AFAIK) tidier instruction set and less legacy baggage than intel to support on a die; also ARM has optimized for power efficiency through the life of their designs.

No wonder we're hearing laptop manufacturers (eg. Apple) looking to ditch Intel for ARM, and major software manufacturers (eg. Microsoft) now that ARM's performance is matching Intel -- even on the low end.

By, the by, that T7200 C2D was pulling in 34W at peak. To claim that T30 bests it in the coremark (again this is just one measure of performance) is quite something as it's a mobile SoC that will sip just half-a-Watt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
More light shed on the Paypal/Google lawsuit?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/28/p...sappropriation

It seems that Paypal was in talks with Google for Android Market Payments. Google hired a former exec of Paypal Osama Bedier and a number of employees. Google/Paypal deal falls apart. Google debuts Google Wallet. Paypal sues Google for trade-secret infringement.

Without knowing the trade-secret (which we should never, being the public), it's hard to know if this is a valid claim. If Google did knowingly, or unknowingly used trade secrets I am of the opinion that they should be sued. It's a risk that comes with hiring a higher up in a competitive firm. This is assuming that trade-secret violation gives a company offensive rights. I know nothing of the law.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm not sure how this slipped in under the radar but it has EXTREME potential...

MoboPlayer

I installed it and I think I'll keep it, even though I think the Samsung player still feels like a better player--but they seem very similar in several ways too. I did notice one exceedingly useful feature--it can play video streams over RTSP and HTTP... which means it works GREAT in combination with File Expert's ability to create a local "live stream" of SMB share video files. (i.e. I can browse a SMB/CIFS share, tap on a video and play it with MoboPlayer... seemlessly.) EXCELLENT stuff! I played videos this way today off my main server and it worked beautifully and without stutter. Best of all--you don't actually need to be rooted to do any of this--so ANYONE can use these two programs together to watch videos off their shares.
using that video player for months and freakin' awesome! supports subtitles.....yeah!

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Hmmm.

id Tech is supposed to release the source code for the 3D engine "id Tech 4" this year around August/September. Now its based on C++ and OpenGL and has many complex features (MegaTexture).

This is basically what's needed to make your very own FPS/Third-Person-Shooter ... or simulator applications such as somethingTycoon, Engineering Project etc.

I believe this will innovate the gaming field late this year and early next year. Because talented developers/groups will bring Linux (Debian, Fedora, etc) one step closer to current-gen in graphics rendering, and I expect Maemo(this community), Android, WebOS, QNX (?) and possibly MeeGo to be involved aswell.

And you thought Infinity Blade looked good?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy