Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by romu View Post
Ok, but in real English for an average user, what does this mean?
It means that btrfs is not ready for prime time. I just hope the Jolla guys know what they are doing.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
This might be a silly question, but can I not just reformat my Jolla with something more sensible?

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
It means that btrfs is not ready for prime time. I just hope the Jolla guys know what they are doing.
In retrospect (which is always easy), I don't think it was the right decision. I'm not sure what else could have been done to get restore working in the timeframe that was available, but the number of headaches directly or circumstantially that can be attributed to the filesystem are pretty huge.

There's less of them now (after a metric assload of backported patches, AIUI) but I'm pretty sure it's still non-zero (see https://github.com/nemomobile/libcom...a02b61a74a3192 for one such recent example that I'm pretty sure was exacerbated by FS issues..)

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
is there any glimmer of hope that btrfs will be removed in the future?

Originally Posted by droll View Post
is there any glimmer of hope that btrfs will be removed in the future?
No.​​​​​​​

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
In retrospect (which is always easy), I don't think it was the right decision. I'm not sure what else could have been done to get restore working in the timeframe that was available, but the number of headaches directly or circumstantially that can be attributed to the filesystem are pretty huge.
What about LVM with EXT on top? The good old HP TouchPad used it back in the day without issues, so it is not like if was totally untried in the mobile space. Especially LVM thin pool would get you basically the same COW snapshot functionality as in btrfs, with the important difference of being rock solid, stable and generally sane.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
Is it already known if the tablet will use btrfs too? I hope not.

I already had to rebalance my filesystem twice, with never more than 7 gigabytes of space actually used on my Jolla phone. And since there's no warning whatsoever that the allocation space is going to be full, I had to add a "btrfs fi show" to my maintenance routine (which is not that painful to do, but still, I would like to not have to do it).

Last edited by Watchmaker; 2014-12-20 at 12:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Watchmaker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Recently suse and suse enterprise got brtfs and a couple other distros the most awsome thing i found is snapshots going back to previous versions is a breeze .

Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
I have not a problem with btrfs per se, it is its use in mobile: on a pc you can make the system auto-perform balance operations, on mobile less easy so for battery management issues etc., and the limited amount of space makes it easier to run out of allocation space.

Last edited by Watchmaker; 2014-12-20 at 12:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Watchmaker For This Useful Post:
Let's not be too fatalistic: surely mostly this is fixable, either by patching BTRFS / the kernel, or perhaps by writing a daemon or something that runs a balance every month or so when the phone is plugged in during the night...

edit - e.g. pop up a notification at 2am saying: 'Performing file system maintenance in 1 hour. Dismiss this notification to cancel.'

Last edited by MikeHG; 2014-12-20 at 12:23.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post: