Closed Thread
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Just had a few questions can the tools bar on lxde be moved to top or bottom of screen. Also is there away to make icon for maemo apps in lxde laucher menu?

Last edited by andrewfblack; 2009-01-30 at 18:39.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The tool bars can be moved around in LXDE using tap-and-hold (right-click) on an existing tool bar, and you can set where you want it to go there...

The only way to make a maemo launcher in LXDE is via LXDE as Replacement Desktop. This is because most Maemo apps won't launch on a secondary desktop.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Costa Rica
Hi. I'm trying to install Easy Debian but got a problem. I installed easy-deb-chroot, then downloaded the image file, the one that is about 300mbs, but then i get this error window:

-------------------------------------------
TAR ERROR
ERROR! ERROR! ERROR!

TAR FAILED!

(MAYBE OUT OF SPACE ERROR)

Unable to install EASY DEBIAN IMAGE FILE

I'm trying to install it on a SD card of 4gb, that currently has 3.5gb of free space. How much free space do i need to install the Image File then???

Also, if this doesnt work... how can I uninstall all the links that appeared with easy debian?

Finally, what happened with Easy Ubuntu?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would recommend deleting your 300mb tar file and trying the install again.

As for Easy Ubuntu... I'm slowly working away at making a new all-purpose chroot script. I've actually figured out some neat stuff, like determining the file system type of a partition using the "blkid" command. But I confess that it isn't high priority. The Easy Debian framework works fine for Ubuntu, if you know how to set up a partition or image file, and Ubuntu has some new cool apps, but nothing earth-shattering (hey prove me wrong, what super-important thing does Ubuntu have?)

I don't have the same urgency I did when building Easy Debian in the first place, and I have a family and stuff... Also, there's a new device coming out in a few months that might make much of this stuff completely redundant.

But if you're impatient for Ubuntu, grab b-man's Ubuntu rootfs and put it into an empty image file or a partition, then use Easy Debian to use it. My Debian threads are chock-full of advice on how to do this.

EDIT: Here it is. Isn't it cool? Can someone confirm that blkid runs on your tablet (ie it doesn't depend on some exotic package that I've got installed)?

Code:
~ $ export PARTITION="/dev/mmcblk0p2"
~ $ export PART`blkid | grep "$PARTITION" | awk '{ print $NF }'` ; echo $PARTTYPE
"ext2"

Last edited by qole; 2009-02-02 at 19:13.

Qole. sorry for my noobness... but i deleted the tar file and runned again the Debian Image Installer, it downloaded again the image, and then gives me the same error,
TAR FAILED!

(MAYBE OUT OF SPACE ERROR)

In the terminal, this is what it says:
Downloading EASY DEBIAN IMAGE FILE package...
tar: invalid option -- j
BusyBox v1.6.1 (2008-09-18 09:43:17 EEST) multi-call binary

Image: tar -[czxtv0] [-f TARFILE] [-C DIR] [FILE(s)] ...

and the window i said in the previous post pops up. :S

matatron: You're having the same problem as andrewfblack... I think someone has changed the tar package so you have to use "gtar" now instead of "tar"...

I'm going to have to issue an update for Easy Debian quickly.

In the meantime, here's a quick fix. Enter these two commands into the terminal, then run the installer again. You shouldn't have to re-download the image file.

Code:
sudo mv /bin/tar /bin/busytar
sudo ln -s /bin/gtar /bin/tar
This replaces the link to the busybox version of tar with a link to the "real" gnutar version.

That worked perfectly!!! Thanks Qole.
Just one question more. Iceweasel and gimp seems very usefull to me, but openoffice writer, despite its usefullnes, i dont think that i will be using it a lot.... how can i remove it to free space? with apt-get remove?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Ubuntu has some new cool apps, but nothing earth-shattering (hey prove me wrong, what super-important thing does Ubuntu have?)
I think someone (ahem) upthread said that it ran java much better...:-) - DR

Well, OK, Ubuntu runs Java much better, but "much better" is a relative term. Several more Java apps run poorly with Ubuntu Java, as opposed to not running at all with Debian Java.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Hey guys,

Need some help from the experts out there.

I've got openssh setup on my N800, but what I want is to setup openssh on my Deblet running Debian.

I've got Easy Debian turbo-charge edition running from an img file on my sd-card.

How do I setup debian so I can openssh into it and not my N800 Maemo system?

What steps do i need to do?

At first I thought I should stop the openssh process on my N800 and then start LXDE and open a terminal and running openssh within LXDE, would this be the correct course of action?

Thanks,

Virtusrex

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice