Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Pacific Northwest
Hey guys, I recently I had the misfortune of experiencing the dreaded WSOD, and a thought occurred to me. We know that the early 770's did not have the fault, and that the later generation lacked it as well. So with that in mind, do you think that it would be possible to determine whether or not a specific device may or may not have the fault, based on one or more of the various ID numbers on the device, or on the country of manufacture.

I figure a good starting point would be to identify the devices that obviously have the fault, and those that appear to not have it. They would, of course, need to have been in continuous use for quite some time, say a year or more. I know that this is a long shot, but frankly I'm afraid to purchase another 770, and I'm not sure that I can afford an 800 or 810. Plus, it seems a shame for so many good devices to go unused because of that fear alone.

Let me know what you think. Thanks guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to willyd357 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by willyd357 View Post
Hey guys, I recently I had the misfortune of experiencing the dreaded WSOD, and a thought occurred to me. We know that the early 770's did not have the fault, and that the later generation lacked it as well. So with that in mind, do you think that it would be possible to determine whether or not a specific device may or may not have the fault, based on one or more of the various ID numbers on the device, or on the country of manufacture.

I figure a good starting point would be to identify the devices that obviously have the fault, and those that appear to not have it. They would, of course, need to have been in continuous use for quite some time, say a year or more. I know that this is a long shot, but frankly I'm afraid to purchase another 770, and I'm not sure that I can afford an 800 or 810. Plus, it seems a shame for so many good devices to go unused because of that fear alone.

Let me know what you think. Thanks guys.
Just send it to nokia. They will replace it for free irrespective of the warranty. Anyway you need to look at the n800 or n810. Their prices will hit rock bottom within the next 2 months.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Look on Ebay right now...N800 "new" are going for $117 US dollars.

Thanks, I know, I've been looking myself. But the 770 that just died on me was from ebay, and I've heard that the N800 had a similar issue, so I was hesitant to purchase anything other than the N810 for fear of the same thing happening(I've had bad luck with computers over the last 2 months).

Oh well, it was worth a try. I guess I'll just keep looking at the newer models. I could use the built in GPS on the N810 anyways. Thanks for the reply 68Guns.

Originally Posted by willyd357 View Post
Thanks, I know, I've been looking myself. But the 770 that just died on me was from ebay, and I've heard that the N800 had a similar issue, so I was hesitant to purchase anything other than the N810 for fear of the same thing happening(I've had bad luck with computers over the last 2 months).

Oh well, it was worth a try. I guess I'll just keep looking at the newer models. I could use the built in GPS on the N810 anyways. Thanks for the reply 68Guns.
My 770 was from eBay and Nokia fixed it for free last year.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoredOOMM For This Useful Post:
BoredOOMM,

What did you have to go through to get that done?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Just send it to nokia. They will replace it for free irrespective of the warranty. Anyway you need to look at the n800 or n810. Their prices will hit rock bottom within the next 2 months.
only if you live in the same economic "area" as the model was aimed at, apparently. i ended up with a US 770 thanks to expansys, and nokia refuses to even look at it...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Can anyone recommend the best channel to go through?

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Cincy,Ohio
I used eBay to get two that have no WSOD on me. One guy worked for Nokia in Finland and another guy from Nasa. So one was from a early year with OS 2005 SE on it. The other the guy bought from Amazon with a later OS 2006 on it and the box. I have had one a year and another a few months.
I've ran every version of Maemo with lil flaw on both. 2008 HE I am running on the older one from Finland currently again.
The other runs 2007 HE.

OS 2007HE

Last edited by trin20t; 2009-09-10 at 21:27.

Thats good to know. I just have a hard time bringing myself to buy another after the WSOD. Maybe if I can find one that came from the factory with OS 2005, I would feel safe buying it.