Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
I am trying Android 4.0.4 & LUbuntu 12.04 on a Mini-PC (MiniX H24 & MK802), Linux runs faster than Android.
No surprises.
The Allwinner A10 is a Cortex A8 on steroids.

However, I would like to see it running on the newest AMLogic MX chips or the new Rokchip ones. They're close to the OMAP 4430-4470 design, so should be close performance to that "open source chip".

Tegra (ahem*Nvidia*ahem) is a no-go.
Qualcomm S4-dual is a beast, but is a no-go. The Quad-S4 is moreso.

The Exynos 4412 has a nix dev board.
OMAP 5530 is just on the horizon.

I wonder how the openSUSE-ARM project is going, its the closest thing to MeeGo.

I'm flattered

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I find it odd but heartening to point out that although CM9 and CM10 won't work on my ancient Motorola Droid, apparently, CyanogenMod continues to support the old thing at CM7. I still have CM 7.0.2 on my Droid because I thought they'd stopped.. but lo and behold, I saw a recent release of CM 7.2.0 and nightlies as recent as 9/23/2012 (five days ago). I also noticed that my Galaxy Tab 7 (which is about two years old soon) also got CM10 nightlies (Jellybean!).

Meanwhile, my Nokia N800 hasn't seen a proper real upgrade in a long time and still shows all those long-dead links to Nokia sites that no longer exist... some of which were baked into the OS and couldn't be removed just like the media player and other dependencies. :P How're the N900 updates coming along, by the way?

It's ironic that Google didn't really TALK a lot about embracing open-source with Android but it did it reasonably well, but Nokia did a LOT of talking about open-source with Maemo then Meego and did very little open-source and instead crippled things more and more as they went along--finally not even implementing a full on MeeGo device, instead releasing a half-backed Maemo with MeeGo aspirations.

Just pointing out how OPENING up more to open-source kept the value of an old device, unlike Nokia's positioning of CLOSING up more and ignoring the bug reports and customers.

Discuss.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
For those who like me bought the Sygic GPS navigator for Maemo, just be aware that it is possible to transfer their license to an Android device. I sent a message to their support and they replied in less than a day with a new product code.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
For those who like me bought the Sygic GPS navigator for Maemo, just be aware that it is possible to transfer their license to an Android device. I sent a message to their support and they replied in less than a day with a new product code.
Good to see a mapping software manufacturer that supports customers long after their initial purchase unlike my old Wayfinder license.

Since we're on the topic.. has anybody seen the new Tom Tom app? Tt looks GREAT but it refuses to run on any new hardware (My Droid will run it, but NOTHING else I have would).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
If you are interested in a fast, light browser, try https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...v.nakedbrowser

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
You guys may also want to check out boat browser. On the Nexus 7 it is simply the fastest browser that I have tried and it has nice features and a polished UI.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=boat+browser

I've tried a few including Naked Browser, Opera, Nine sky, Chrome, etc. So far boat is best IMO.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
If you haven't tried chrome as of the jellybean 4.2 update, you should do yourself a favour and try it out. The problems with freezing and slow loading have vanished completely and the browser is very fast once again on my nexus 7. Thankfully it is once again my default browser

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
If you haven't tried chrome as of the jellybean 4.2 update, you should do yourself a favour and try it out. The problems with freezing and slow loading have vanished completely and the browser is very fast once again on my nexus 7. Thankfully it is once again my default browser
I haven't noticed any freezing or slowness at ALL in Chrome on my Nexus 7 nor on my Galaxy Nexus ever in any version of ICS or JB, to be honest.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ jodhpur
how to install Android 4.0.4.
is calling function working ?

Wrong thread?

I'm flattered

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy