Is there a way to prevent applications from stealing focus? Because that 'feature' really annoys me.

What happens is this. I open gmail in the browser. This takes a while, so I open the RSS reader too. While checking my feeds, the OS changes focus to the browser three or four times showing me an empty page, that has probably recently changed enough for the OS to think I need to see it.

Point is though, that I will change to the browser when *I* want to see the browser, not when the OS thinks I do. Desktop Linux (metacity, kwin, etc.) has long since stopped doing this (allow apps to steal focus, that is) and now I wish the Maemo window manager would do the same. Anyone know any tricks for this?

Originally Posted by wzzrd View Post
Desktop Linux (metacity, kwin, etc.) has long since stopped doing this (allow apps to steal focus, that is) and now I wish the Maemo window manager would do the same.
Not quite; mainstream window managers permit you to choose what to do, and maybe default to the (sane) course of notifying, but not actually swapping. Even in the ones that have focus-does-not-follow-mouse as default know better , but it's still an option.

Anyone know any tricks for this?
Unfortunately, no. But it is worth noting, of course, that matchbox differs substantially from a standard wm, with it's one-window-at-a-time nature, and that does make focus handling a bit weird. I still think an option (either raise and focus, or do neither and flag the window-list) would work nicely.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
The browser topping itself way too often is a known issue. No workarounds that I know of.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the information, guys. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one suffering ;-)

Hopefully the internal bugreport they have created has a higher priority than the external one with prio low. This bug is *so* annoying, especially when you are regularily opening links in an additional browser window.

Qtopia can be installed on it I read somewhere.

Tags
window manager