1 year ago i was bored how slow my phone was. Then i started doing a research how the phone could be faster. Today i find it very fast. I have sailed through all the battery patches and stuff. But these things i have found best. Check out how amazing fast N900 is. Video is pretty old, i dont have cssu installed in it. Its even faster now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCQaxqqRzm4

Apply all steps below to get n900 smooth:

1. Reflash new maemo with latest PR + CSSU and if possible reflash emmc too. It makes a big difference if you clean ALL.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU

- Download Cssu tuner + cssu features, in features put animations to 0. In Cssu features apply blurless meego style.

2. programs to install:

-theme customizer, apply fast animations

-swappolube, with proposed settings, save and store

-tweakflash, Use suggested flash 10 or froyo flash

-tracker cfg (Enable “LowMemoryMode”, Set Indexing Throttle to 10) save and restart tracker, rebuild if wanted

3. overclock. Use latest powerkernel:
- 24/7 850-1100mhz. (i suggest to use default voltages) Check jakimans oc guide http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=774

4. Remove touchscreen vibration and system sounds from settings

-Disable autoupdate (when you connect to internet this is why your phone lags) type to xterm (you dont have to root):

gconftool -s --type int /apps/hildon/update-notifier/check_interval 1440000

5. TIPS

-REMOVE all unnecessary widgets and shortcuts
-REMOVE unnecessary desktops. Im just using 2 desktops and only 2 widgets
-DO NOT install apps you dont really need.
-Clear your sms + call history if really not needed.

6. After all five steps remember to reboot.

Nothing special, but this way my n900 feels fastest.

Online help: Join the maemo IRC channel on freenode #maemo
http://wiki.maemo.org/IRC

Last edited by shnigi; 2012-03-23 at 21:49.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to shnigi For This Useful Post:
I tried the hardware accelerated transitions, the transitions are better but there is always that jerky transition. Its extremely annoying.

I am overclocked to 1150mhz and using swappolube and yet my device freezes up completely several times a day. This is my second N900 and this one is less than a week old. Yet everyone else seems to have super smooth N900s. Don't know whether I am just unlucky with N900s, whether others are pretending their devices are flawless or whether I have something I install that kills the device. Whatever it is this is the most frustrating device I have ever owned. My favourite phone ever due to all the customisations but still the most frustrating ever.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I am overclocked to 1150mhz and using swappolube and yet my device freezes up completely several times a day. This is my second N900 and this one is less than a week old. Yet everyone else seems to have super smooth N900s. Don't know whether I am just unlucky with N900s, whether others are pretending their devices are flawless or whether I have something I install that kills the device. Whatever it is this is the most frustrating device I have ever owned. My favourite phone ever due to all the customisations but still the most frustrating ever.
I'd put money on the problem with the freezing 3 times a day is related to overclocking.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
I'd put money on the problem with the freezing 3 times a day is related to overclocking.
+1. Back off to stock 600 or at least maybe 750-800, stay away from low voltage profiles like ulv or starving and run it for a while to see if it stabilizes.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Patient's young jedi

OC isn't always a good thing, in moderation it can be. As crash said knock it back a bit and see what happens. At 1.1k mhz your flogging the bugger to death.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scottlfa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
your mileage may vary. Sigh...I remember that I installed my first linux distro about 2001, since then I have ranted on different forums that wtf is this jerkyness and stuttering with x windows.Normally people just wonder whattahell I'm talking about but there is growing group of people who see difference between ios and windows rendering performance compared to xorg with nvidia or ati drivers.

my point here is that it's somewhat amazing to see how differently people see e.g. 25fps vs. 50fps. to some people it's most important thing and some people (probably ones who spend most of their time in shell) do not even seem to notice or care.

sorry for offtopic and typos, too much alcohol+bored+n900 keyboard. My N900 is working pretty nicely on modified hildon components and minimal apps.

.edit
basically waiting for wayland for desktop linux so that i can fully start using it.

Last edited by slender; 2010-12-04 at 19:20.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
im using the mine.. with swappolube.. 850 LV OC, en nothing more.. its smooth *** hell ??

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
+1. Back off to stock 600 or at least maybe 750-800, stay away from low voltage profiles like ulv or starving and run it for a while to see if it stabilizes.
+1, I found out OC + undervolt (specially undervolt) may really cause slowdowns.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki
I have almost all the apps/settings that you listed but I OC'd mine to the obvious N900Mhz, and it's working like a charm. Try going back to 600Mhz and going slowly up from there. I didn't change the voltage because it froze my phone.

Edit: Also, my N900 battery lasts longer on 900Mhz with pr1.3 than it did on 600Mhz with pr1.2.

Last edited by Beerduck; 2010-12-04 at 03:10. Reason: forgot

Tags
never smooth, turn it up, whining, worstthreadever