Originally Posted by Wiener View Post
Well.... sadly I must admit that it was an error to by a Nokia N900 Smartphone, if even the producer immediately after release abandons the platform :-(

Guess I will get me a Droid or other Android phone with better camera.

PS: N900 for sale.
congratulations.
we will surely miss your valuable contribution to the maemo ecosystem.

The Following User Says Thank You to depu For This Useful Post:
you are right. but the problem is lack of support and commitment ...

Originally Posted by Wiener View Post
you are right. but the problem is lack of support and commitment ...
With back to back release of firmwares and additional items to be covered via bugs.maemo.org, i really doubt that.
I dont trust any PR of any company as such, and i bought the phone for what it was described as on release.

Nokia releasing maps navigation for free was not something i had in mind while i bought it.

Infact i wonder what the people who bought the 5800XM navigation edition must be thinking right when they heard this news.

^this is nokias newest, latest, and most updated thing they have to offer. a flagship product is the newest, latest and most updated product, the n900 is all that. hence wether you like it or not makes it the flagship product. and in the end of the day we are the customer, we paid full price for the device for their latest and newest and best technology they have to offer, we should expect that we should be one of their main priorities. why are people defending nokia? fanboyism? we as a consumer should demand, if not then there would be no change. stop defending nokia, as nokia clearly crewed up with the N900.

Originally Posted by grumps312 View Post
^this is nokias newest, latest, and most updated thing they have to offer. a flagship product is the newest, latest and most updated product, the n900 is all that. hence wether you like it or not makes it the flagship product. and in the end of the day we are the customer, we paid full price for the device for their latest and newest and best technology they have to offer, we should expect that we should be one of their main priorities. why are people defending nokia? fanboyism? we as a consumer should demand, if not then there would be no change. stop defending nokia, as nokia clearly crewed up with the N900.
Actually Nokia releases new products very often and i dont think that most people wont be very happy if they hear that their "flagship" phones got de-flagshiped in a month.

The current Nokia flagship is the N97 which is quite well known.
Nokia probably never anticipated that their lower profile phone model viz the N900 would receive such a fan following.

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by grumps312 View Post

They obviously "crewed up" by not forcing all prospective buyers to sign a statement that they perused the specifications, heard the CEO describe it as something for early adopters/developers/hobbyists and know they are purchasing it "as is".
That is just ludicrous. By that reasoning every device released would be eclipsed by the next device just by virtue of release date.

The majority of people here who bought the N900 knowingly did it with full awareness that it will have some serious limitations. Some perhaps will be addressed, some may never be addressed. It is no loss to me that you are disappointed that it is not something it was not - other than the fact that the constant harping about misconstrued imaginary feature-sets and "this has a higher model number than the N97 and was just released so it must be the flagship" griping just increases to ridiculous levels the ratio of noise on this forum. I come here for information, not to hear moaning and complaining over such trivial issues.

You know, if I depended heavily on my device as a phone first, I would have bought an E71 (or E72) which are better phones than the N900 - and the N97. Pick the best tool for the job; in many cases the N900 is not the right tool for the job. I am sure you're still within the return window.

The Following User Says Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Perth, Australia
I have faith that Maps for our N900s will continue to be developed.

In fact we have proof that it has already had work on it since the initial release, as PR1.1 has already provided a lot more functionality to it - and made it actually usable.

Last edited by mattaustin; 2010-01-22 at 01:32. Reason: grammer

Yes most company when they release a new product it replaces the old and becomes the new with better hardware. Easiest example of this is the iphone. But my point is this; in the end of the day we are the customer, we paid full price for the device for their latest and newest and best technology they have to offer, we should expect that we should be one of their main priorities. Whether they marketed this as "early adopters/developers/hobbyists" this is still a Nokia product, and they should have support for their product.

but than again, the n900 has just been released recently and there is room for updates and improvements. hopefully nokia will listen to their customers and add this extra feature to their device.

Last edited by grumps312; 2010-01-22 at 00:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to grumps312 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
Interesting how everybody now sells their N900s. Someone would think Nokia announced today that it will phuck up everything and not give something for free.
A little patience?

Or even better please sell your N900s, it's going to be definitely better for you and for community. Thanks, and goodbye!

Originally Posted by volt View Post
Seriously guys.

Did you guys ever on ANY phone get a free next version of a preinstalled payware unless it was preannounced before you bought it?

I don't think it's that common. Ovi Maps is just now turning free, Nokia will use it to improve future sales.
Well - yes - sort of I actually paid for the turn-by-turn navigation on my previous Nokia and I did so back when they had a 3 year license option - which means I still got around a year left. So I am sort of double ****ed. I was one of the customers who paid for navigation and now it's free - and I just bought the N900 for which it is not available. Sigh! I just love giving Nokia my money.

Anyway - that said - I do love maemo

Tags
maemo can has?