Hello all,

I purchased a N800 just recently and love it. For about a week I was having extremely bad battery drainage when the n800 was in standby mode. A fully charged n800 in standby mode would completely be dead over night. I disabled wifi and bluetooth and the problem would still occur. Two days ago, I unchecked the "show led lights" option and the problem was fixed.

Anybody else having this problem?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by eagleis View Post
Hello all,

I purchased a N800 just recently and love it. For about a week I was having extremely bad battery drainage when the n800 was in standby mode. A fully charged n800 in standby mode would completely be dead over night. I disabled wifi and bluetooth and the problem would still occur. Two days ago, I unchecked the "show led lights" option and the problem was fixed.

Anybody else having this problem?
First of all: I unchecked the LEDs the minute I received my N800, so this is going to be a rant-reply.

Here we go:

1. What kind of LEDs did Nokia put in there, if they manage to drain a 1300 mAh battery overnight???

b. WTF at Nokia thought it would be a good idea to put blinkies in an "always-on" device?

IV. Where're my meds? WHO TOOK MY PILLS DAMMIT??!!!

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
First of all: I unchecked the LEDs the minute I received my N800, so this is going to be a rant-reply.

Here we go:
1. What kind of LEDs did Nokia put in there, if they manage to drain a 1300 mAh battery overnight???
I thought it was 1500?

b. WTF at Nokia thought it would be a good idea to put blinkies in an "always-on" device?
I like it (But nothing's ever been like the good old t68s) But I turned mine off because for some reason mine crashes when its on.

Has anyone figured out hat the blinking means? It seems to me they just blink for blinkings sake. If the were tied to the alarm api or something, that wold make sense, but I can't figuure out what they're alarming me about!

I've only had my tablet for a day, but it seems like it blinks slow to tell you it's "on," and faster to say you have mail or an IM.

Personally, I think the "on" blink is lame, but I would like some sort of IM blink. That way if the thing is sitting on the coffee table while I'm watching TV, I'll know someone is trying to talk to me.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Yep I can tell that the blink is regular when on, fast when you got an IM (or e-mail I think too) or someone trying to call (but in that case it'll just turn on I think).

--
anidel

"1. What kind of LEDs did Nokia put in there, if they manage to drain a 1300 mAh battery overnight???"

It may be an issue with the n800 not properly powersaving while this feature is on. It doesn't make much sense that the LED by itself can drain the battery that quickly.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by eagleis View Post
"1. What kind of LEDs did Nokia put in there, if they manage to drain a 1300 mAh battery overnight???"

It may be an issue with the n800 not properly powersaving while this feature is on. It doesn't make much sense that the LED by itself can drain the battery that quickly.
True. If you took your average LED at 20 mA it would run for 75 hours (assuming the rest of the n800 consumed no power-- not the case obviously). From what I can see from poking around in the /sys entries for the keypad/LED control there's a couple ways the LED can be controlled. It shouldn't make the n800 draw much more power since the LED is controlled by either a hardware oscillator/divider chain from the master clock or the hearbeat interrupt (could cause more power drain for the latter). When you turn on LED blinking it will blink for .5 seconds, then turn off for 7.5 seconds, using the hardware oscillator.

Anyway, the upshot is unless I'm missing something the LED shouldn't cause this behavior. Was your device online all night too? I note that this is the default behavior-- to try and stay online perpetually.

Larry

Originally Posted by lbattraw View Post
True. If you took your average LED at 20 mA it would run for 75 hours (assuming the rest of the n800 consumed no power-- not the case obviously). From what I can see from poking around in the /sys entries for the keypad/LED control there's a couple ways the LED can be controlled. It shouldn't make the n800 draw much more power since the LED is controlled by either a hardware oscillator/divider chain from the master clock or the hearbeat interrupt (could cause more power drain for the latter). When you turn on LED blinking it will blink for .5 seconds, then turn off for 7.5 seconds, using the hardware oscillator.

Anyway, the upshot is unless I'm missing something the LED shouldn't cause this behavior. Was your device online all night too? I note that this is the default behavior-- to try and stay online perpetually.

Larry

I disabled bluetooth completely and set wifi to not connect automatically and to turn off after 5 min (it was off), the battery life was still terrible.

I'll turn on the setting again to test it out. It's working great ever since I unchecked that setting.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by lbattraw View Post

Larry
Ah, but what if the dudes at Nokia put in a 5 amp LED and subsequently covered it up with tape, to make it not shine so brightly?

You think they couldn't do that?