Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by altorn View Post
@skoteinos, you just fell for the kid's "rant"..

these people enjoy having us comment on their rants. trolls maybe?

don't let these kids get in to you.
i know they're posting their gripes on N900 on purpose to get us flaming and commenting on them. and they have fun reading our replies. notice how the "AFRICA" kid hasn't replied? lol

these are obviously made up stories.

please learn to spell, if you do that, you'll learn how to use an N900 properly and appreciate it.
these are obviously made up stories.

Wouldn't bet on it tbh, I can totally relate to his sentiments

For anyone interested I will be selling my UK N900 on ebay (v prob on sunday) with BIN circa £220, bought in December on Vodafone, have made under *FIVE* phone calls on it - with prob about 20 hours total usage. (have bills to prove it - my 3gs is my *heavily* used main phone), still paying £35 pm for sim, will prob use it in my 6300. My phone is boxed as new, earpiece unused with all spare "covers", cleaning cloth unused, in orig box, totally unmarked phone, with protective plastic cover etc. I owned *all* the nokia communicator series, and loads of nokias before those, but the n900 is my last nokia....ever.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by n900faniam View Post
hey there fanboy aka runt.

you'd probably get a more proactive and productive response if your grammer was just a little better.

enjoy your new phone. you sound like the sort of person who'll be complaining about it inside 5 minutes anyway.
grammAr? :P

Hello this is my post to the forums so I would be grateful to not be shot down but let us see.
I ordered my N900 after bad experiences with Nokia N95 and N97 and switching to HTC. On ordering I then picked up that Maemo was being replaced by Meego so I called the Nokia N900 support team. At first I was told Meego would be installed on the N900 but when I said 'are you sure' the adviser then sought further advice and said it would not be as the N900 chip set did not support.
I am now wondering if I should return my N900 or would I be cutting off my nose to spite my face. Essentially I am tired and fed up with Nokia and if my HTC was not Windows then it would I suspect be game over. On the plus side the N900 seems to be in a different league to the N967 and N95. And I love Maemo - mind you I have only ever experienced Windows mobile and the Nokia N95/N9. The experience software wise across these phones is nicely illustrated by the fact that on none of them did the alarm function work properly. The N97 was the best with calendar entries causing the alarm to go off every night at 1200 for each entry.
In short I am in two minds - love the Maemo thing and really happy with Linux but Nokia really seem not too care and seem to be moving on again and are they going to leave this mobile high and dry as I feel they have done with the others? These mobiles are not £40 but £400.
At the moment I want to stay Maemo and N900 but am I just going to hurt myself again? Build quality on this phone does not look up to HTC model I have - sorry going off topic but in bit of quandary here and definitely do not feel positive about Nokia.
Paul

Last edited by BroisPlankton; 2010-07-02 at 18:29. Reason: Tidy up

Originally Posted by joshv06 View Post
You will realize how good the N900 is when you get your Nexus. I switched to the EVO 4G, fully regret it, nothing will beat the N900. Android has nothing on it, really.
This is the story I want to hear. What's wrong with the EVO?

Originally Posted by BroisPlankton View Post
Hello this is my post to the forums so I would be grateful to not be shot down but let us see.
I ordered my N900 after bad experiences with Nokia N95 and N97 and switching to HTC. On ordering I then picked up that Maemo was being replaced by Meego so I called the Nokia N900 support team. At first I was told Meego would be installed on the N900 but when I said 'are you sure' the adviser then sought further advice and said it would not be as the N900 chip set did not support.
I am now wondering if I should return my N900 or would I be cutting off my nose to spite my face. Essentially I am tired and fed up with Nokia and if my HTC was not Windows then it would I suspect be game over. On the plus side the N900 seems to be in a different league to the N967 and N95. And I love Maemo - mind you I have only ever experienced Windows mobile and the Nokia N95/N9. The experience software wise across these phones is nicely illustrated by the fact that on none of them did the alarm function work properly. The N97 was the best with calendar entries causing the alarm to go off every night at 1200 for each entry.
In short I am in two minds - love the Maemo thing and really happy with Linux but Nokia really seem not too care and seem to be moving on again and are they going to leave this mobile high and dry as I feel they have done with the others? These mobiles are not £40 but £400.
At the moment I want to stay Maemo and N900 but am I just going to hurt myself again? Build quality on this phone does not look up to HTC model I have - sorry going off topic but in bit of quandary here and definitely do not feel positive about Nokia.
Paul
After owning several HTC phones I can say that the build quality of the N900 is fine. It's not stainless steel or anything but the keyboard slide is solid and it's a classic kind of design. (Some HTC phones have hideous buttons/weird layouts.) It's a little wide for me, I have small hands even for a woman - most guys don't even notice.

Everyone seems to be mad at Nokia for abandoning the N900 but have you ever tried to get support for older versions of Windows Mobile? Or a Palm phone? As long as the hardware is under warranty and you like Linux, you might as well give it a try if you can afford it.

Most of the issues now seem to be software and software is fixable. Eventually.

Terry

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terryowen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BroisPlankton View Post
-snipped-
and N95. And I love Maemo - mind you I have only ever experienced Windows mobile and the Nokia N95/N9. The experience software wise across these phones is nicely illustrated by the fact that on none of them did the alarm function work properly. The N97 was the best with calendar entries causing the alarm to go off every night at 1200 for each entry.
-snipped-
Paul
Oh - I forgot to comment here. The alarms seem fine to me as far as going off on time but you might need to find better ringtones - the speakers don't seem very loud when deep asleep.

I do like the N79's alarm - it keeps saying "Good Morning" as it increases in volume. I should see if I can make the N900 do that...

Terry

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
This is the story I want to hear. What's wrong with the EVO?
Well, for starters, it's bigger than the HD2 was (only 2mm though), but that was like walking round with half a sheet of shuttering ply all day long. I used a HD2 for a day and was glad to get rid of it.

Good job it wasn't too windy, too.

Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
So, will Google Docs run on your Google Phone?

*chuckles*
Funniest thing I've read all day. Goes right up there with "Can your Apple phone run Mac OSX?" *chuckles* (Of course, I'm referring to the N900 running Mac OSX.)

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Actually... yes it will.

And you people might have misunderstood... I think he meant "rant" and not "runt". Misspells happen around these parts on an epic level.
Sure, 'cuz that's what Google Docs is for. Displaying the contents of office documents.

Does it work in Desktop mode on the Android phones? You know, where you can actually create new documents?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
One step at a time bud.

However, I do have to ask... I don't have my loaner handy, but with all/most of the Google sites now redirecting to mobile sites instead of the full-blown sites - and without changing the browser agent string - can the N900 use Google Docs?

Innocent question that I don't know the answer to... thanks in advance.

Tags
delete me, fanboys gallery, user fail, worstthreadever