Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ missouri
I cloned the OS using the instructions in this thread. I solved this problem yesterday by re-cloning the OS and now the correct fonts are used by the browser. I don't know what caused the issue. Like I said, even changing the about:config file didn't do anything so I think the fonts were corrupted (the font files were present in the correct directory).

Is there a (definitive) Wiki somewhere explaining the pros and cons and possibilities of using different filesystems (esp. wrt. OS and swap file/partition)?

I suspect quite a few people here don't absolutely need FAT for Windows access but apparently OS2008 still requires it to be able to automount an OS partition on the MMC/SD cards. Would it be worth lobbying the Maemo folks for including ext2/3 (automount) support in the kernel? Has the ext3 (with journalling) proven reliable and not overly stressful on the frequently used sectors of the partition?

Or would a separate ext2-formatted partition (of ~256MB?) be better suited for swap/virtual memory? Presumably that way a trashed swap wouldn't take down the whole OS (on its own partition).

I'm planning to use the current cloning scripts with 512MB FAT32 + ~1.3GB ext3 scheme (with data on external card) but perhaps there's room for "non-fat" evolution in the future? Sometime next year there might also be the new LogFS in the mix... (a journalled and wear-levelling flash FS for larger partitions than the jffs2)

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
Is anyone available online today to assist in getting through these procedures? I'm getting as far as trying to install wget and get the following error msg (and this is just the first one):

Err http://repository.maemo.org chinook/free wget 1.10.2-2osso2
503 Service Unavailable [IP: 8.12.96.16 80]

Is anyone available to help?

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
I suspect quite a few people here don't absolutely need FAT for Windows access but apparently OS2008 still requires it to be able to automount an OS partition on the MMC/SD cards.
This isn't the case. I have two 8Gb SD cards, both formatted as single partition ext3. I was able to simply tar the rootfs and copy it to my internal SD card.

Code:
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /floppy -o rw,rpsize=1024,rpuid=0,rpuid=30000
tar cf - -C /floppy . | tar xvf - -C /media/mmc2
OS2008 happily boots from ext3

Originally Posted by DistantFire View Post
Is anyone available online today to assist in getting through these procedures? I'm getting as far as trying to install wget and get the following error msg (and this is just the first one):

Err http://repository.maemo.org chinook/free wget 1.10.2-2osso2
503 Service Unavailable [IP: 8.12.96.16 80]

Is anyone available to help?
Well, wget and e2fsprogs are still not available. I just downloaded source and compiled them in scratchbox.

Last edited by JeffElkins; 2007-12-23 at 02:14.

Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
This isn't the case. I have two 8Gb SD cards, both formatted as single partition ext3. I was able to simply tar the rootfs and copy it to my internal SD card.

(formatting code edited..)

OS2008 happily boots from ext3
Thanks Jeff. I'd somehow gotten the wrong impression since the scripts (or was it also the wiki?) appeared to include FAT in the given scenarios. I'll try to learn more about the ideal (which may be a personal preference) setup but for now my wife has taken possession of the N800...

I also realize I posted to a wrong thread as I didn't even notice this being under the OS2007 title but posted directly to a searched post. Glad you still noticed it.

Maybe someone can help me ...

I have cloned my N800 with os 2007 befor in the past and each time it worked just great . but now i am on os 2008 . no matter what way i use to clone os 2008 it starts to copy the files over to my card but then stops . it is like it slows down till it comes to a stop . last night even 8 hours latter and still on the same file .I shut off wireless closed all programs and even reflashed my device so the system is very clean. it is a 1gb card partition 50/50 ..I don;t understand it this has never happen to me it always went fast. I do have the boot menu install also .

Has this happen to anyone other then me and if so how did you fix it ..

I wish there was just a wiki just for n800 and os 2008 . maybe i am missing something with 2008.. but i have did this 20+ times and i still can not get it to go..

Thank you

Computerfreek

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredbaron View Post
I have a kind of weird issue. I am booting OS2008 from internal SD card. For some reason my MicroB browser is using only Monospace fonts! So, when I go to Google, or pretty much any other webpage, I get monospace fonts which are huge and hard to read. I went to config:about and tried tweaking some of the fonts but nothing seems to change. Has anyone had trouble with font corruption or issues with fonts in MicroB web browser when booting OS2008 from MMC? When I boot from Flash my MicroB fonts are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhouse
Did you clone your OS using the instructions in this thread? The built-in Busybox tar command historically had issues copying font files, which is why gnu tar is recommended.

I'm having the exact same font problem with microb and I too cloned following the instructions found in this thread. Is there any way to fix the font problem without re-cloning?

I've already installed KDE on top of the clone and have it all configured. I just noticed the font problem last evening and would really, really like to not have to install/configure KDE all over again

Alternatively, is there a way I can re-clone Maemo without having to reinstall KDE? I can't think of a way - but you never know.

Thanks

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Ok... so FYI, I figured out why my fonts are broken in microb. I've re-cloned Maemo and re-installed KDE making sure to use the correct tar app along the way. I checked the browser after each step of the KDE install and it appears that one of the files used for KDE install (SUP.tgz) is at fault for breaking the microb fonts.

I don not know how to use SD card on the Tablet?