Active Topics

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by mautz View Post
Just use the OTA instructions of the first post. OTA using SSH. The update can be slow. 2.0.0.10 to 2.0.2.4x took about 3hours. If the update process hangs at a package fir more than 5 minutes, abort the update with CTRL+C, type "sync" and reboot. Most of the time you have to hard reset your device. When its back up, SSH into it and continue the update with version --dup. If it hangs again repeat the above steps. I didn't update my main SFOS installation because not all patches i need are available.

If you don't use Multirom, ciuldn't you do a full backup with TWRP before updating?
Damn, the OTA update instructions from the first page differ from the one in the wiki regarding the repositories to be used... New try, new luck:-)

Edit Update to 2.0.4.13 took hours, not recommended. I had to drop adaptation0 as of pattern issues.

Last edited by BluesLee; 2016-10-09 at 16:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
This might be of interest to anyone installing SailfishOS roms.

I've been playing around with a very good Moto G (falcon, 2013) SailfishOS conversion made by PiggZ.

Unfortunately GPS was not working at all, even when the main thread in XDA forums said it should.
Eventually I got it fixed by installing normal Cyanogenmod, and making sure that GPS was turned on and working, and then restoring a backup of my previous installation of SailfishOS on top of it.

It is quite possible that GPS had been never used with the Moto G device I had acquired, and Sailfish probably couldn't trigger it without Android proper first activating it. So if you get your hands on Nexus 5, make sure to check that all radios, gps and sensors have been activated before you flash it to Sailfish OS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
It is quite possible that GPS had been never used with the Moto G device I had acquired, and Sailfish probably couldn't trigger it without Android proper first activating it. So if you get your hands on Nexus 5, make sure to check that all radios, gps and sensors have been activated before you flash it to Sailfish OS.
Do you mean, if used as a pristine device (never turned on) and if SFOS is installed directly to it?
Or do you mean, that when CM is flashed to the device, turn it on and use it for a while before flashing SFOS on top of it?

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Do you mean, if used as a pristine device (never turned on) and if SFOS is installed directly to it?
Or do you mean, that when CM is flashed to the device, turn it on and use it for a while before flashing SFOS on top of it?
I mean that if you use pristine device and then install SFOS (custom Cyano+SFOS) on it, GPS may not work, unless you have at least once started it up with proper Cyanogenmod and set up GPS.

Moto G device I have has been in used as a loaner device for a very short time while the original phone of the user was in repair. It had stock Android Kitkat from Motorola when I got it.
I flashed it directly with custom Cyanogenmod and SFOS, both by PiggZ, and then started the phone.

It is quite possible that GPS has never been enabled before. And definitely it has never had cyano on it before, as I had to unlock its bootloader with an unlock code requested from Motorola.

I'm not sure which would have been more important in my case; turning GPS on in stock Moto ROM before flashing it, or turning it on on "stock" Cyanogenmod, like how I now fixed it.

I just remembered that sometimes custom ROM makers suggest turning all features on before flashing them. I tried that as a last measure to get the GPS fixed, an it really worked.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Albuquerque US&A
Originally Posted by RealJohnGalt View Post
Backup and restore
From your home directory on the Jolla phone do
Code:
 tar cvf vault.tar .vault
and transfer the tar file to your Nexus 5 and restore it using the Jolla backup and restore from the settings app.
I don't see my backup in the restore menu after copying the vault.tar file to /home/nemo. I've tried to use "Restore from memory card" using an OTG cable, but it doesn't see it there either. How can you restore on the Nexus 5 if it doesn't have a sd card slot? Is there a way restore the SailfishOS backup vault.tar file without using the restore app, but perhaps via CLI?

edit: I just figured it out. From CLI:
Code:
 tar xvf vault.tar
Then go back to Settings > Backup and I can now see my backup.

It didn't restore my customized Ambiences. Seriously? Customizing the sounds on each Ambience is a PTA. That's the main reason I did a backup.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jib For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by jib View Post
I don't see my backup in the restore menu after copying the vault.tar file to /home/nemo. I've tried to use "Restore from memory card" using an OTG cable, but it doesn't see it there either. How can you restore on the Nexus 5 if it doesn't have a sd card slot? Is there a way restore the SailfishOS backup vault.tar file without using the restore app, but perhaps via CLI?

edit: I just figured it out. From CLI:
Code:
 tar xvf vault.tar
Then go back to Settings > Backup and I can now see my backup.

It didn't restore my customized Ambiences. Seriously? Customizing the sounds on each Ambience is a PTA. That's the main reason I did a backup.
This is a very good observation and a solution is appreciated.

Unfortunately since 2.0.2.x backup/restore from settings needs an sd card or some dubious cloud services. Backuping works in the sense that a tool/command called 'vault' gathers different data to the .vault directory, for instance your gallery pictures, which you will also miss.

We need a kind of virtual sd card or all commands the settings app is triggering using vault. How sailfishos recognizes that an sd card is 'inserted' when backuping / restoring using settings?

The Following User Says Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Phone calls are fine, good quality, BT works, including PBAP (with 2.0.4, there were problems in 2.0.3.x). The only issue I have is the home screen freezing, but that's a problem with all phones with 2.0.4...

Camera works rather good, though sometimes after update it doesn't show the viewfinder for some reason - a restart fixes that...
For me, it seems that the main camera has a problem with updating the viewfinder, it takes at least 3 seconds before it updates the viewfinder with the correct image.

Front camera and main camera video mode work fine though

I'm not sure if it's with the OTA update or no, but everything known to work works well, except this camera bug

The Following User Says Thank You to n0x For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
Have you tried reinstalling the camera app? Or try cameraplus from openrepos.

The Following User Says Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by mautz View Post
Have you tried reinstalling the camera app? Or try cameraplus from openrepos.
I'll try reinstalling the camera, but I don't know how. It's just in the Jolla store right?

Cameraplus works well, although if I remembered, it's always in landscape?

I accidentally left my N5 at home, I'll double check when I get it again.

The Following User Says Thank You to n0x For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
Originally Posted by n0x View Post
I'll try reinstalling the camera, but I don't know how. It's just in the Jolla store right?
I think it is
Code:
pkcon install jolla-camera
from terminal.

The Following User Says Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:

Tags
hammerhead, nexus5, sailfishos, sfdroid