Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Got email from customer service ETA 10 business days

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Well in Canada its not that popular and since they already ordered some from the US warehouse , I'm sure I will get it two weeks

If that's the case the value of this product goes even higher. Windows 8 will support ARM CPUs I dont see any reason not run it on this thing

As for the docking station afaik its $150 not $200
*cough* With Windows, "running" is such a strong word...
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I dunno... With a cellphone, ARM makes sense. With a tablet, though, I'd want an Atom, so I could run fullblown applications(including legacy games via Wine). And still have decent battery life.
On top of that, I don't know how you'd run Windows(of any sort) on an ARM proc anyway - It'd lag horribly. Even un-optimized Linux is slow. With a hefty Atom, you might get it running acceptably.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
I dunno... With a cellphone, ARM makes sense. With a tablet, though, I'd want an Atom, so I could run fullblown applications(including legacy games via Wine). And still have decent battery life.
On top of that, I don't know how you'd run Windows(of any sort) on an ARM proc anyway - It'd lag horribly. Even un-optimized Linux is slow. With a hefty Atom, you might get it running acceptably.
Next years ARM chips (and Qualcomm's next-gen Snapdragons) promise outperform ATOM by an impressive margin, offer 4 cores, and provide characteristics that people love from mobile devices: low cost, fan-less, ultra-thin/light, incredible battery life, and instant sleep/wake. Additionally, the included GPUs are very, very impressive -- capable of stereoscopic 3D in full 1080p.

Of course it needn't be said that software not optimized for these new chips will suffer or not run at all (eg. software optimized for x86 assembly)... But I said it anyway. As I understand it, the debian repos already compiled for ARM v7, so a large amount of Linux OSS software is available now.

I'm not a terrible fan of Atom, but I would agree that I'd at the very least want this level of performance to run traditional linux desktop setups. I have full faith that next-gen ARM will surprise many folk.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2008 @ London
The Transformer looks soooo good.

What OSes could be potentiality forced into this thing?

Sorry in advance if this is a bad question...

Last edited by *the_newbie*; 2011-05-01 at 22:38. Reason: Wrote 'Does' on beginning of question and spelt OSes wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to *the_newbie* For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Next years ARM chips (and Qualcomm's next-gen Snapdragons) promise outperform ATOM by an impressive margin, offer 4 cores, and provide characteristics that people love from mobile devices: low cost, fan-less, ultra-thin/light, incredible battery life, and instant sleep/wake. Additionally, the included GPUs are very, very impressive -- capable of stereoscopic 3D in full 1080p.

Of course it needn't be said that software not optimized for these new chips will suffer or not run at all (eg. software optimized for x86 assembly)... But I said it anyway. As I understand it, the debian repos already compiled for ARM v7, so a large amount of Linux OSS software is available now.

I'm not a terrible fan of Atom, but I would agree that I'd at the very least want this level of performance to run traditional linux desktop setups. I have full faith that next-gen ARM will surprise many folk.
This is the reason why most of us anticipated MeeGo.
Full-blown Linux + Powerful GUI (Qt) + Multi-Architecture-Cross-Compatability + A New, Fresh, Clean start + Support for millions of legacy code (just needs porting).

But my dreams are shattered, and probably the other 90% of MeeGo-fans... which is why we must just wait for a much better refined Ubuntu-on-ARM,
or a much refined Android (perhaps port QML to it?),
or wait for Windows NEXT (aka Win8).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Full-blown Linux + Powerful GUI (Qt) + Multi-Architecture-Cross-Compatability + A New, Fresh, Clean start + Support for millions of legacy code (just needs porting).

But my dreams are shattered, and probably the other 90% of MeeGo-fans... which is why we must just wait for a much better refined Ubuntu-on-ARM,
or a much refined Android (perhaps port QML to it?),
or wait for Windows NEXT (aka Win8).
I never really trusted Nokia on the Meego issue. My hope is still that someone will come out of nowhere with what we want. Yes, Ubuntu on ARM or whatever. Though I hope my Transformer will keep me happy for awhile, unless I decide to buy a laptop instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Had a few hours with one almost a week back. Seriously... this is a nice tablet. I'm using the MyWater.apk live wallpaper for my background on my Xoom, as well as the Weather widget from the Asus Transformer.

I'm not a fan of the backing (felt cheap); but everything else is on point with this tablet.

Now... if only I can find a damn video player that can play *.divx files and I'll be happy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by *the_newbie* View Post
Does what OSs could be potentiality forced into this thing?
Android only, probably. Maybe MeeGo, if the kernel ASUS used is new enough. The way Google, and as a result most hardware vendors, work with the kernel lends poorly to allowing future kernels work on the same hardware. Then you're followed by the monster that is graphics drivers, and Nvidia currently doesn't support MeeGo, only older Xorg builds for Ubuntu and Android.

Similar difficulties lie in wait for Windows whatever on ARM.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
And still do. Last I checked the project hadn't gone anywhere.

But my dreams are shattered, and probably the other 90% of MeeGo-fans...
Why would they be? Nokia is (mostly) gone, and after seeing their mismanagement drive the company into the ground (and I consider their current direction mismanagement) it's probably a good thing they're (mostly) gone.

which is why we must just wait for a much better refined Ubuntu-on-ARM, or a much refined Android (perhaps port QML to it?), or wait for Windows NEXT (aka Win8).
Or buy the Transformer and start getting on ASUS's case to work with people and releasing a MeeGo build of the Tegra 2 drivers and a proper hardware port to the 2.6.37 kernel (if you can get that far without Android-isms, it might be good enough to go mainline, where drivers should be.)

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Or buy the Transformer and start getting on ASUS's case to work with people and releasing a MeeGo build of the Tegra 2 drivers and a proper hardware port to the 2.6.37 kernel (if you can get that far without Android-isms, it might be good enough to go mainline, where drivers should be.)

ASUS will never release a MeeGo build for the Transformer.
Because they would potentially have to pay their coders for work for an investment with no return, they aren't that fan friendly.

At best we'll see ASUS will release their Android source code, a CM7 is built (bare-bones Android), a quick and decent (dontholdyourbreath) port of Ubuntu, and by using the resources between the three a beta-port of MeeGo could be made.

In fact, I think it would much better if someone ports QML to 2.3, then it'll be half-decent.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:

Tags
decepticons, transformer, want one