Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
IMO, people who are transfixed to the hardware specs, thinking that it's THE thing that makes or breaks a product takes software (and all other soft-capabilities) for granted.

Most likely because they're too (only?) familiar with the x86 world where the software are largely interchangeable (and widely pirated) and their differentiation lies in the hardware.

Not the case with handhelds.

Look at iOS and Android, beyond their tech specs. New software that provides disrupting services/capabilities may give a new lease of life to even their first gen hardware.

Interesting things are afoot.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
I really don't want an Intel branded phone...
Don't worry, you won't see one this half of the decade, unless you want to carry a car battery with you to power it.

Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
interesting that Nokia apparently spend as much as google and Apple combined on development and you just have to wonder where all that money goes looking at the present state of symbian. and to a lesser extend meego?
Is this total R&D spend in the whole company or just on Symbian? Anyway I suspect Nokia spends a lot of resources on hardware R&D. Apple on the other hand "only" needs to pay some interns to dream up some frivolous patents that they could apply for under Jobs' name

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Who are these fabled 'stockholders' that you mentioned?
Are they forever bound to their stocks, until the end of time?
It used to be that stockholders really do have a stake in the company and invest in it for the medium to long term. Unfortunately these days the market is driven mostly by high speed trading and "investment" bwankers.

Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Anyone know how the engineering teams for Symbian are split? Do they have 10+ teams doing duplicate work but for different phones?
I'm not sure whether it is still the case now, but they have separate and non-cooperating divisions. Eg when the "multimedia" division responsible for the N Series makes a spanking new gallery app and the "enterprise" division responsible for the E Series asks to use it they would be told to get lost and write their own

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
It used to be that stockholders really do have a stake in the company and invest in it for the medium to long term. Unfortunately these days the market is driven mostly by high speed trading and "investment" bwankers.
Exactly my point.

Nowadays the only type of stockholder that would more likely behave as the textbook descriptions is probably just family-owned businesses.

Strategic corps with gov't interests (airlines, etc?) are probably also likely to do this, provided the gov't/country is not fraught with corruption...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
from BGR

http://www.bgr.com/2011/01/26/exclus...-android-apps/

If this rumor is true and RIM goes through to implement that and IF this can be done without any special licensing terms with Google, then Nokia has got to let this happen on MeeGo too.
If Nokia did go down this route with meego would that mean our N900's running on meego could also use all Android's apps as well?

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
ummm... look this...
http://www.latestelectronics-dennis.com/?p=19318

Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
If Nokia did go down this route with meego would that mean our N900's running on meego could also use all Android's apps as well?
Depends, would they be using Google's class library? I don't necessarily see this as being Android compatible unless they include those.

Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Their batteries only lasted 2-3 hours -- hardware limitation.

They were very expensive ($1000+) -- due to the cost of getting standard hardware in smaller format.
Capacitive touchscreens of that size were either non-existent or prohibitively expensive -- yet another hardware limitation.
None of that excuses the fact that Windows XP was crap for tablets. And I'm skeptical that 7 isn't.

Nokia never even attempted to use the hardware advances that would have given the 770, N800 and N810 a worthy successor. The had the better software (Maemo), but never delivered the HARDWARE.
They didn't, despite having nearly the same hardware as the iPhone and DROID? Don't tell me a capacitive screen was the true advancement.

Within those limits, many of the "failed tablets" you speak of were doing quite well. Look around, how many people are using N800 -- imagine that with modern hardware, and all the software that would have been developed to take advantage of it. Would you say video at 400x240 is a software limitation? Please...
Isn't that the N900? Or is screen size the defining factor here? What are you getting at?

When the HARDWARE limits were lifted by mere technological progress in the past few years, software started to play a more important role. More important, yet still SECONDARY role.
Well, no, before this no one gave a damn about the software. If they had then maybe (just maybe) it wouldn't have been Apple to introduce an entire new tier of people to the concept of the smartphone.

Let me finally put it another way, in the hope that I can get at least a little understanding here: All the developers thinking that I am downplaying their work, see it like that instead: you have done an excellent job with software, but never had the proper hardware to run it on.
I don't think you've managed any "understanding" but have certainly managed "confusion." I'm not sure I get your point.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
I think Nokia's strategy is still sound, however their execution (so far) is piss-poor.

They should continue with S40 and S^3 selling it to consumers that need a phone, want to surf the web and play the occasional game. Don't sell the OS (or platform) here, but features.

However, Nokia needs a high end "eco system", and they need it now. And if Meego powers these high end devices, so be it. Assuming that Meego is ready and covers the basics software wise (good phone sw, very good browser, good email etc.), then the hardware they deliver becomes important.

The first device they bring should be ridiculously overspec'ed and over priced: Make it a dual (better quad) core, 4" "retina +" resolution screen, etc. Make it look cool. Price it 50% more expensive than iphone ($900 - $1000 in the U.S.) and find some elite channels to sell it. Market it: "Not everyone is able to buy our best phone ever", and sell a few units (maybe even less than 50,000). Maybe find a few features catering to a certain set of people (phone is the "keyless entry" for your new bling BMW, etc etc.).

Soon after that follow up with a series of reasonable devices (running the same software, but affordable hardware). Touch screen only, a version with keybord. Increase screen size to tablet form.

And develop and improve the software continuously. Make sure to have "best of breed" browser experience on your Meego phones (best browser addresses 50%-75% of "missing app problem" compared to competition). Post comparison everywhere on the web showing how much faster and better your browser loads a**gadget's bloated web site or some of those flash driven sites.

So, what Elop should say: I've looked at our options, and I am comfortable with our choice of Qt and Meego for our most advanced devices. And I will make sure that we deliver - now!

Now, if Nokia can't deliver on their Qt / meego / Symbian stratgy, why on earth should they be able to deliver on an Android / WP7 strategy?

But somehow Nokia have to crack the US market perhaps Stskeeps comments in this thread point to a link up with webos but would HP really want to join up with Intel?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...106#post932106

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
To crack the U.S. market I only see 3 options:

- Get firm commitment from one of the major carriers: I am surprised that Nokia is not able to fill AT&T's hole after them losing iphone exclusivity. There was (is?) an opening as AT&T needs something different as the iphone is no competitive advantage for them anymore.

- Flood the market with a cheap ($100 unsubsidized) smart phone via non-carrier channels. I.e use Amazon, Walmart, BestBuy to sell the phone and offer a store branded plan using T-mobile or AT&T technology (prepaid or post paid). Plan must be cheaper than usual smartphone plans, move market upwards from there.

- Long shot: Introduce new carrier ("Ovi") using peer-to-peer Wifi technology, sell phones based on VOIP / Wifi connectivity, open possibility to add legacy carrier specific sim card (t-mobile or AT&T prepaid). Not sure if they can pull that one off in a reasonable time (technology?) and make it profitable over all.

Well, and there is their current option: Ignore the U.S. and suffer from the hits they get from mainstream U.S. media. I am not sure how much longer they can take that...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm starting to hope that they don't crack the US market. Apparently they believed that they didn't need it so far - same goes for Japan - so why do it now?

It'll end up in failure, again. The X7 and the C5-03 were both recently canceled. The fact that they did that shows me that either they don't have offerings that warrant advertisement in this area or that they just weren't going to be big sellers.

Nokia needs to refocus in the USA and I'm afraid it's not going to net them as much of a return as they think... it'll be years for them in this market. Even more in Japan. They've been absent from all but the hardcore of Nokia fans in terms of mindshare.

Develop that "most trusted" brand like they have in Asia and India. Those areas are busting in terms in growth. The USA market is much smaller and apparently harder to break into.

So no... they don't need the US market. They hadn't attempted in the recent past, why start now?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org