Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Wizzup_ View Post
I think many of the conversations stuff should all go in/via telepathy, which is also how the maemo conversation stuff works, so once we have a UI for it, we can start adding plugins.

It looks like telepathy OTR/OMEMO support is a bit weird: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/telep...ble/issues/279
Isn't telepathy basically dead? At least telepathy-gabble didn't have any significant commits since 2014: https://github.com/TelepathyIM/telep...commits/master

On SailfishOS, Shmoose decided not to integrate with Telepathy either. But it will need to keep compatibility with the ancient SailfishOS software stack, which we'd rather avoid on Leste.

I think the best option right now would be to make use of Dino. It'll need some work, such as adding some tray icon support, etc., but it's closest to what we need on Leste. I'll take a look if it builds at all.

/edit: the mesa dev packages are broken on Leste:
Code:
$ sudo apt install debhelper cmake valac libgee-0.8-dev libsqlite3-dev libgtk-3-dev libgpgme-dev libsoup2.4-dev libgcrypt20-dev libqrencode-de
pulls libegl1-mesa-dev as a dependency:
Code:
user@devuan-n900:~/dino/dino-0.0~git620.20191229.81bde91$ sudo apt install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libegl1-mesa-dev
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libegl1-mesa-dev
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
147 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/55.4 kB of archives.
After this operation, 155 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 49624 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libegl1-mesa-dev_13.0.6-1+b2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libegl1-mesa-dev:armhf (13.0.6-1+b2) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libegl1-mesa-dev_13.0.6-1+b2_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so', which is also in package ti-omap3-sgx 1.4.268.4+1m7
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libegl1-mesa-dev_13.0.6-1+b2_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
/edit2: this is probably an issue with Devuan, on Debian libegl1-mesa-dev, doesn't ship libEGL.so.

Anyway, if this broken dependency is just ignored, dino builds fine and even runs.

Unfortunately, gtk3 apps don't really integrate with hildon-desktop and the status bar overlaps with the important UI parts.

I used the official Debian packages from here: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...ino/Debian_10/

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Last edited by marmistrz; 2019-12-30 at 16:03.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
How about Load Applet? I think that is usefull to see the cpu and ram usage bar. Many times I look them to see if something is still loading so I do not hesitate on trying to get something to work if there is load still going on. And those help to see if something stays consuming resources in the back. And that applet has also the sceenshot as well as screen recording which could be usefull if someone wants to show something.
As noted on the wishlist page, it needs to be ported to gst 1.0. (gstreamer)

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Isn't telepathy basically dead? At least telepathy-gabble didn't have any significant commits since 2014: https://github.com/TelepathyIM/telep...commits/master

On SailfishOS, Shmoose decided not to integrate with Telepathy either. But it will need to keep compatibility with the ancient SailfishOS software stack, which we'd rather avoid on Leste.

I think the best option right now would be to make use of Dino. It'll need some work, such as adding some tray icon support, etc., but it's closest to what we need on Leste. I'll take a look if it builds at all.

/edit: the mesa dev packages are broken on Leste:
Code:
$ sudo apt install debhelper cmake valac libgee-0.8-dev libsqlite3-dev libgtk-3-dev libgpgme-dev libsoup2.4-dev libgcrypt20-dev libqrencode-de
pulls libegl1-mesa-dev as a dependency:
Code:
user@devuan-n900:~/dino/dino-0.0~git620.20191229.81bde91$ sudo apt install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libegl1-mesa-dev
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libegl1-mesa-dev
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
147 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/55.4 kB of archives.
After this operation, 155 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 49624 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libegl1-mesa-dev_13.0.6-1+b2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libegl1-mesa-dev:armhf (13.0.6-1+b2) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libegl1-mesa-dev_13.0.6-1+b2_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so', which is also in package ti-omap3-sgx 1.4.268.4+1m7
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libegl1-mesa-dev_13.0.6-1+b2_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
/edit2: this is probably an issue with Devuan, on Debian libegl1-mesa-dev, doesn't ship libEGL.so.

Anyway, if this broken dependency is just ignored, dino builds fine and even runs.

https://i.imgur.com/UBr4gUo.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/eb6eDdb.jpg

Unfortunately, gtk3 apps don't really integrate with hildon-desktop and the status bar overlaps with the important UI parts.

I used the official Debian packages from here: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...ino/Debian_10/
Fun to see someone else try something adventurous!

I think most projects use telepathy with ofono for telephony, so it's probably a sane choice for that. I can't really comment on gabble.

The EGL issue you're seeing might be related to how we have packaged PowerVR on the Nokia N900.

As far as Gtk3 goes - indeed. We need a Gtk3 theme, and we need to forward port the hildon widgets. Probably in that order.

EDIT: To clarify, I think we'll use telepathy at least for some parts. It should do SIP/VOIP calls OK too. For other accounts/chat, I was hoping we could keep it all integrated, so we'd have to figure out how to integrate multiple backends into the upcoming conversations code then.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Thing preventing me adding packages to the wiki - is that I don't understand what you ask for. What is this wiki you are speaking of (a thread? a site?), if a site do I need to subscribe before I can add there anything, and do you mean I should find the packages from the repository, save them on my N900 (without installing) and then add them to this wiki somehow - or are you just asking to add the names of these application (does it need to be exact package name with version details) to a same kind of post as this one?

I have been 1 1/2 year quite active here and yet don't understand at all what you ask for. Yet it may be clear to everyone else who reads it. It is quite funny how in on something I can be (or seem I'm in).and yet I am actually all the time being so out of things what people are talking about.

"Add packages to a wiki" can mean many things for me and I don't know the right meaning in this case.
I see now how you have had soooooo many fundamental problems Maemish.
I know for a fact that since your arrival here I alone have mentioned to you countless times already that you should study up on the wiki...

You not knowing where it is, what it is... explains volumes.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
I guess it betrays my ignorance, but...
is it possible to use/install proprietary/closed-source apps from the original N900 OS on Leste? Possibly to ensure functionality that currently is not available on Leste?
Not "officially" I guess, but by manually adding the (which?) sources to apt?
And if yes, would these apps be installable & fully compatible with Maemo Leste?
And what about the huge catalogue of opensource apps that exists for the Maemo/MeeGo platform? Openrepos etc.?

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
on the wishlist page, it needs to be ported to gst 1.0. (gstreamer)

Fun to see someone else try something adventurous!

I think most projects use telepathy with ofono for telephony, so it's probably a sane choice for that. I can't really comment on gabble.

The EGL issue you're seeing might be related to how we have packaged PowerVR on the Nokia N900.
I'm not so sure. On one hand, there is ti-omap3-sgx-dev. On the other, dev packages should not contain any .so files. These may have been just symlinks, but I won't be able to check it right now. It would be worth checking if devuan still includes .so files in the newer versions or in backports.

As far as Gtk3 goes - indeed. We need a Gtk3 theme, and we need to forward port the hildon widgets. Probably in that order.

Could we possibly use Gnome Shell instead of hildon? (this may require too much RAM for N900, but possibly for F(x)tec Pro1...?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
I guess it betrays my ignorance, but...
is it possible to use/install proprietary/closed-source apps from the original N900 OS on Leste? Possibly to ensure functionality that currently is not available on Leste?
Not "officially" I guess, but by manually adding the (which?) sources to apt?
And if yes, would these apps be installable & fully compatible with Maemo Leste?
And what about the huge catalogue of opensource apps that exists for the Maemo/MeeGo platform? Openrepos etc.?
No ignorance there. Theoretically it should be possible to run some parts of Fremantle on Leste. I've done it - a basic chroot works, but actually /running/ applications runs into lots of weird crashes. They may be something we can solve, I don't know.

As far as packages on maemo.org extras go, as long as they're open, there's a good chance it won't be that much work to port. Especially once we have a Hildon Qt port in place as well.

I don't know specifically about Openrepos, but in addition to whatever we port, packages from Debian are also available.

I'm not so sure. On one hand, there is ti-omap3-sgx-dev. On the other, dev packages should not contain any .so files. These may have been just symlinks, but I won't be able to check it right now. It would be worth checking if devuan still includes .so files in the newer versions or in backports.
Devuan doesn't package ti sgx at all as far as I know - this is our package.

Could we possibly use Gnome Shell instead of hildon? (this may require too much RAM for N900, but possibly for F(x)tec Pro1...?
Maybe, but it'll require a lot of changes all over the place.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
I added Gnumeric to the whishlist

edit: and
* hamsterfiler
* alarmed
* and an user friendly and efficient tracker or possibility to easily have no tracker.

Big thanks to the leste workers for the great work and hope given

Last edited by ric9K; 2019-12-31 at 20:22.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
@endsormeans: Yes, for some reason even though I have been reading stuff from the wiki - some I just don't get, some I assume is irrelevant for me and some I forget even if I read. But hey, I have done formatting and adding straightaway to the wiki wishlist after I got a link! So it is not lazyness. My way of doing things has never been the smartest and I try to learn. My learning just don't go the right way. Should I change? Absolutely! Would I like to change! Absolutely! Will I change? Probably not. Wiki is not the place where I should start. I should start from basics of linux. After that I could understand and get more from the wiki.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Theoretically it should be possible to run some parts of Fremantle on Leste. I've done it - a basic chroot works, but actually /running/ applications runs into lots of weird crashes.
OK thanks, I guess that answers my question: "Not without additional work - which isn't possible with closed-source apps anyhow".

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Who should I nag at Nokia to make osso-notes open source?

The Following User Says Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:

Tags
leste, maemo, porting, wishlist