Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Perhaps Jolla could do something like Active Display. The N9's LPM seems not too possible by Jolla so Active Display is the next big thing. The moment I take my phone out of my pocket I see the notification and can swipe to enter it directly, dismiss it or to unlock screen.
By active display, do you mean it automatically unlocks the display when proximity sensor detects it no longer is in pocket?
(and maybe it also reacts go ambient light change and the motion of taking the device in hand...?)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
It doesn't unlock the display once you remove it from the pocket but it lits up the center of the screen with the notification icon and text. The notification icon can be swiped left to open it in app, swipe right to unlock screen or swipe down to clear it instead.

You could also watch some videos of active display on YouTube to get a better idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
We should have a new update any day now. Might be something new regarding GUI. who knows. It's time for the monthly update. Sit tight.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
My 2c. I have thought a lot about the UI so far, without posting, but re: this thread, and first OPs bullet points:
1) I completely agree. The four swipes from the edges of lockscreen and home screen are valuable "spots" for key functionality, and assigning all four to to the ambience switcher is a true waste. The panes/functions behind these four positions should be customizeable and the default should not be "ambience is everything". I for one rarely switches ambience (even if I understand the rationale and motivation from Jolla's side).
Patchmanager is OK, I use it, but in this respect it's far too little and these abilities should be built in.
2) Disagree, but...
3) Again, patchmanager work is under way. I agree that in principle the lockscreen should be locked. But
3a) I want more info there. There's just a lot of wasted empty space. E.g. I want my upcoming calender events and synced tasks there. (Btw: calender and tasks atm suck worse than a black hole.)
3b) some functions could be available on lock screen by pulls, e.g. each notification could accept a sideways pull to open corresponding app. This would be somewhat consistent with the homescreen-"tiles"-sideways-pull-functions.
4) Disagree. As long as the transition does not add more than (tens of) milliseconds to the actual load time, I really like it.

Originally Posted by abyzthomas View Post
It is not easy to switch between chats. If I start typing a message to a friend and want to look at another friends chat, I have to swipe back and pick the other friends name. When I comeback to the first friends chat, what I had typed is lost.
Couldn't agree more. This is a complete PITA. just remembering half-typed messages across windows/sessions, is a must (like N900 had always). Instead of separate windows for each chat: Perhaps an "active chats" switching mechanism that was faster than the go back-find other chat-tap way of today? (on a bigger screen this would be a sidebar.).

Last edited by gaute; 2014-05-10 at 21:08.

does sailfish have full support for working in landscape orientation, and if not, is it planned?

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
does sailfish have full support for working in landscape orientation, and if not, is it planned?
Yes it does. Native apps like the browser, camera and notes all support landscape mode and Android apps also support landscape mode.

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
Homescreen, settings, etc. are portrait only. In apps landscape is of course supported.

thanks both.

is there any plan to support landscape desktop (homescreen, settings, etc), as well as applications?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post: